Confirmed with Link: Devils re-sign Goalie Keith Kinkaid (2 years, $1.25 AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So we gonna run Cory back out there for 60 games again? I was hoping for a back-up G that could play 30+ games. Probably not one on the market, though, so I'm fine with this.

Starting goalies generally play 60-65 games. They aren't going to platoon Cory after one off season, he's still got five years left on his deal at starting goalie money.

Why?

I thought he was solid last year. The only bad game he had was that game at Barclays Center in February.

I was very down on him after 15-16 and I think there's still potential for him to be one of those goalies that fluctuates from year and year and he could have another meh season this upcoming year, but I feel much more confident with him than Wedgewood.

I wouldn't have been surprised if the Rangers signed him on Saturday.

I would have been more concerned about Lou signing him since he needs a backup. The Rangers tend to churn out their own guys from within.

beekay414

#FireLindy
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Starting goalies generally play 60-65 games. They aren't going to platoon Cory after one off season, he's still got five years left on his deal at starting goalie money.

I would have been more concerned about Lou signing him since he needs a backup. The Rangers tend to churn out their own guys from within.

I'm aware. I just wanted to take it easy with Cory next year. He's making good money, obviously, but he was a mess last year and I think a 50/30 split would've been good for him. As I said, I'm okay with him playing 60+, I just didn't want to kill the guy again behind a garbage defense.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
If the initial rumors are right, the remaining guys on the market are Jonathan Bernier, Ondrej Pavelec, Darcy Kuemper, and Curtis McElhinney. Calgary, Colorado, Toronto, and the Rangers might be the only teams in the market. Plus there'll be a few guys like Michael Hutchinson and Eddie Lack who might be moved.

Elliotte Friedman suggested:

Chad Johnson to Buffalo
Brian Elliott to Philadelphia
Ryan Miller to Anaheim
Anders Nilsson to Vancouver
Antti Niemi to Pittsburgh
Steve Mason to Winnipeg

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If the initial rumors are right, the remaining guys on the market are Jonathan Bernier, Ondrej Pavelec, Darcy Kuemper, and Curtis McElhinney. Calgary, Colorado, Toronto, and the Rangers might be the only teams in the market. Plus there'll be a few guys like Michael Hutchinson and Eddie Lack who might be moved.

Chad Johnson to Buffalo
Ryan Miller to Anaheim
Steve Mason to Winnipeg

I would've liked Chad Johnson, Elliott, Condon, or Bernier, but it seems like that wasn't going to happen. Kinkaid is just as good if not better than the Pavelec/Kuemper/McElhinney/Nilsson group, so I don't mind sticking with what we know.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
I would've liked Chad Johnson, Elliott, Condon, or Bernier, but it seems like that wasn't going to happen. Kinkaid is just as good if not better than the Pavelec/Kuemper/McElhinney/Nilsson group, so I don't mind sticking with what we know.

Most of those guys in the first group are 1B goalies. I doubt any of them would enjoy being the clear #2 behind Cory. Kinkaid did a solid job last season and won't be a problem if he sits on the bench most of the year behind Cory. Reasonable price as well.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Whatever. I'd like to see a backup have more long-term upside on this team than Kinkaid, but Kinkaid I guess is an average backup, or at least played average for a backup last year. Bottom line is, if Schneider plays like he did last year again this year, we are in a whole deal of trouble so hopefully Kinkaid isn't seeing the ice a lot anyways.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Below average backup at best IMO but a fan favorite type and our best option at this particular moment. All in all, a good signing.

I don't think it's fair to call him below average at best. He's easily closer to average to above average as far as back-ups go.

Just because we make every back-up look like an all-star doesn't mean they're all good. :laugh:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Whatever. I'd like to see a backup have more long-term upside on this team than Kinkaid, but Kinkaid I guess is an average backup, or at least played average for a backup last year. Bottom line is, if Schneider plays like he did last year again this year, we are in a whole deal of trouble so hopefully Kinkaid isn't seeing the ice a lot anyways.

With so many young guys in the system I don't mind that Kink does not look to be a future starter.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Backup goalie is not a truly ideal position for a young goalie with potential.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013

Chad Johnson to Buffalo
Ryan Miller to Anaheim
Steve Mason to Winnipeg

I would take Kink over Bernier, Pavelec, and McElhinney all day every day. I haven't watched a whole lot of Kuemper and he is slightly younger so I'm not sure where I'd rank him relative to Kinkaid.

Can anyone comment on where Kinakaid's $1.125MM AAV ranks among backups around the league? If it's middle of the pack or below, this is a good deal. He's coming off a solid season despite the fact that he (and Cory) got left out to dry more often than not. He's also clearly a well liked in the dressing room and that's worth mentioning when you're talking about backup goalies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I'm OK with it. I would have liked to have seen Wedgewood get the role and let Blackwood/Appelby share the net in Binghamton but Kinkaid has shown that he can play at a high level at times.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Why would a backup with long-term upside come to New Jersey where the starter is signed for 5 more years?

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I rather have given Wedgwood a chance. I don't think this team is going to be that great this year rather have given wedge a shot and see what if any value he has or maybe even be better then Keith. We know what we will get out of kinkaid

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Yes Schneider was bad, but cory held his own for many of his games, usually making near or over 40 save per game.

I still believe he will become a starter for a team.

Kinkaid to start a team? He shouldn't have signed this deal then. Won't he be 30 when it's up?

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I'm OK with it. I would have liked to have seen Wedgewood get the role and let Blackwood/Appelby share the net in Binghamton but Kinkaid has shown that he can play at a high level at times.

I agree but we know what kinkaid is going to give us. Not saying wedge would be better or be like broduer but rather give him a shot see what he can bring. Telling me it will be a big difference between kinkaid going 10-15 and wedgewood going 8-17? Meh nothing to see here

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
I agree but we know what kinkaid is going to give us. Not saying wedge would be better or be like broduer but rather give him a shot see what he can bring. Telling me it will be a big difference between kinkaid going 10-15 and wedgewood going 8-17? Meh nothing to see here

The problem is Wedge can't seem to stay healthy. What happens if they let Kinkaid walk and Wedge gets hurt again? There's no way they want Blackwood backing up in the NHL anytime soon.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I don't see how Condon is any better than Kinkaid, I think Kinkaid might actually be better than Condon.

I would have liked Elliott or Bernier though, if not because I think it's a waste to play Cory more than 60 games in a non-playoff making garbage season. That was only if we didn't bring back Kinkaid, as he's capable of playing 20-25 games. Elliott, Bernier and Mason will likely get picked up by teams that will have them be a 1a or 1b instead of a backup.

Johnson is a weird one. Seems to be good as a backup, but his play usually drops off when loaded up with starts. He was really playing out of his mind in Calgary early on, but then dropped off towards the end of his run being their ''Starter'' there and then Elliott got it back.

PavelSUCK is junk, Nilsson has only had one good season in the NHL so far and McElhinney seems like the kind of guy that sometimes has good looking numbers, but fails the eye test miserably. He reminds me a lot of Scott Clemmensen, who also had some decent years in the NHL.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Love it. Kinkaid is a good backup plus he seems to have a great personality in the room. Nice to keep those kind of guys around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->