Confirmed with Link: Devils Re-Sign Butcher (3 years, $3.73M AAV)

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
good deal. concerns me that he walks right into UFA with it. hes could be looking to get paid after this deal ends

Reactions: NinjaKick

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm not the world's biggest Butcher fan, but if he continues to improve defensively this could be a bargain in year 2 or year 3.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah I like the term...if Butcher breaks out we can pay him then with Subban off the books. If he never goes above middling second pair/second PP defense than the cost isn’t a killer and we move on after it with a cheaper replacement.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
good deal. concerns me that he walks right into UFA with it. hes could be looking to get paid after this deal ends
I don't think he ever gets big $$ though. He'll get a raise at that point for sure, but not something to worry about, especially not on the day he signs a 3 year deal.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Love what Shero is doing regarding the term of these contracts. Now it's up to Butcher to show the Devils if he's going to be a stud Top 4. Even if he peaks at a Top 6, dude can still run PP2 for us for the next three years. Easily worth the $3.73 AAV.
Ya, even the acquisition of Subban. That trade looks so dang good in part because he only has 3 years left on his deal.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
On a good offensive team, a team with a good power play, Butcher could really rack up the points.

So maybe I could see his value jump a fair amount.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't think Butcher will be on PP1 without at least one injury, so his days of 'racking up' points may be over.

Reactions: Bet the Over

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't think Butcher will be on PP1 without at least one injury, so his days of 'racking up' points may be over.
True with all the new faces I'm forgetting who slots where. Does he even get pp2 duties over Sev's? Or do they run 2 D on that unit? I'm guessing he would be on that unit somewhere, which again points to a pretty dangerous 2nd unit.

But I'd be surprised if his 5v5 offensive production didn't jump quite a bit.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It is going to be interesting to see what happens on the PP. With Subban, Smith, Vatanen, Severson all having legit claims to PP time...

Especially interested in how they handle Smith. I couldn't imagine this staff not working him onto the PP somehow? They have traditionally given rookies a lot of opportunities. We'll see.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It is going to be interesting to see what happens on the PP. With Subban, Smith, Vatanen, Severson all having legit claims to PP time...

Especially interested in how they handle Smith. I couldn't imagine this staff not working him onto the PP somehow? They have traditionally given rookies a lot of opportunities. We'll see.
As of right now I'd be surprised if Smith get's a look on the PP.

But that speaks to a bit of the redundancy on defense. Greene's going to play 4 minutes on the PK, while Smith and Butcher, who both would likely do well on the PP, may get only limited minutes there combined.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago

Unless they switch the alignment I would bet it’s prob going to be Subban and butcher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad