GDT: Devils @ Rangers - Preseason, 9/18/19, 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Replace the above with, "good", "good", "NHL average weight & height", and "soft", and you'd be correct.

Still doesn't negate all his glaring defensive deficiencies for my money.

I will concede towards the last 1/4 of the season last year Severson noticeably started taking the body more, which is a huge positive & encouraging, but he's still below average in this category for an NHL defenseman.
I agree good is a much more apt term then great in those respects. But for his style he does have good size, and plays a pretty physical game, again for his style. I also think your overly harsh in grading his defensive deficiencies.

I think he is a good 2nd pair d-man, with the potential for continued growth.

I also think that with Subban taking some of the more difficult minutes(again Sev's played very difficult minutes last year) that Sev's will just look better by having easier matchups.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Niedermayer was not in the universe as Lidstrom
It's true Listrom was one of the best d-men to ever play. But Nied's is a HOF in his own right. A 4 time cup winner, a Norris trophy winner, a Conn Smythe winner. Let's not down play that he was himself a great player.

But OK not on the level as Lidstrom but he saw what Lidstrom was doing in Detroit's style of play and was envious.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Replace the above with, "good", "good", "NHL average weight & height", and "soft", and you'd be correct.

I will concede towards the last 1/4 of the season last year Severson noticeably started taking the body more, which is a huge positive & encouraging, but he's still below average in this category for an NHL defenseman.
He is inarguably a great transition defenseman.

You can stubbornly cling to your memorized talking points from 4 years ago in regards to the rest of his game, but he is undeniably great at transition.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Just an FYI, even so Niedermayer struggled early, he played big like in the 1995 SC Finals, his goal in Game 2 changed the series around as much as Stevens legendary hit and watch Game 4 in the 3rd period, he might have been the best player on the ice, he turned back the Red Wings on every turn and play.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

I'm usually on board with a lot of your posts but I can't disagree with this more than I currently do. Severson gets a ton of shit from this fan base that is often times undeserved. Sure he's prone to gaffes every now and then that end up in the back of the net but he's underrated around here.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Severson gets a ton of **** from this fan base that is often times undeserved. Sure he's prone to gaffes every now and then that end up in the back of the net but he's underrated around here.

And literally more than any other Devils defenseman ES/60.

Those secondary assists though.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Just an FYI, even so Niedermayer struggled early, he played big like in the 1995 SC Finals, his goal in Game 2 changed the series around as much as Stevens legendary hit and watch Game 4 in the 3rd period, he might have been the best player on the ice, he turned back the Red Wings on every turn and play.

When people talk about the first half of his career not being as impactful as the second half, this is what I want them to read. He made many mistakes and of course didn't have high offensive numbers but he also made so many subtle little plays that went unappreciated. At a time when there weren't many defensemen with the capability to skate and pass it like him. I especially remember the Dallas series - a lot of long possessions started with a quick breakout that only he could execute.

Reactions: Ronnie Bass

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Says you.

Like I said, you can make fun of me all you want, but today's NHL (and our system specifically) is all about the transition game. Severson is very good in the transition game. He is never going to be a hulking defender so the quicker you can just accept that, the better things will be for us all.

That’s just BS. You don’t need to be hulking to know wtf is going on around you. Will Butcher, Andy Greene and I can name you about 100 other players that are smaller than Severson but are smarter and better defensively.

Stop making excuses for someone you’ve been pumping his tires for years. I’ve been able to say that his offensive game isn’t his issue but you won’t be able to convince me that he’s anywhere near average in his own zone and that’s the main criteria you look for out of your dmen, unless your name is Karlsson or any other PPG dman. Being mediocre in your own zone while putting up 35 pts on average per year is something you look for in your #3-#4 dman, which is exactly what he is.

The simple fact that we were in on Subban and Trouva tells me that our coaching staff and management weren’t at all convinced that Severson was a top pairing dman. Add to the fact that Vatanen is now on our top pairing as well shows that he’s a notch above Severson on our depth chart.

BTW, you have to retrieve the puck in order to transition the play up the ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bosskarelli
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->