Post-Game Talk: devils @ Rangers -- 4/17/21

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Panarin is even better than that. Did nobody see his check in the netural zone, as he was getting off the ice, that led directly to Zibad setting up Buch for the onetimer? That play would have never developed without his defensive effort. It is not easy to check anyone in open ice and force the turnover. He makes defensive plays like that every night that lead directly to scoring chances.

That was a remarkable play.

He is kind of a genius. He sees chances others don't, and seizes on them as others can't.

My impression is he has an optimistic nature, always thinking that there must good opportunity in every situation. So he is more likely to look for it. After so much hockey, it's probably automatic for him.

Combine that vision & imagination with his skills, and we have a heck of a hockey player.

I hope the way he thinks the game rubs off on his teammates.

Reactions: ohbaby

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
That’s kind of a weakness of some of the advanced stats I think. They’re almost too accurate. And don’t take into account context. Which you get with the “eye test”.
Anyhow I think everyone agrees the eye test and the stats are both useful.
Which is exactly why Vally is must see TV.. He not only gives you advanced stats, but explains what you SEE as the play develops and explains it clearly and concisely.. I have already used his breakdowns to teach the high school kids I coach, I also believe that these explanations have made me a better coach.

Reactions: egelband

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
I don’t think the chart is meant to be the be-all-end-all.

Exactly.
Question. Are there any metrics that adjust for context, like linemates, opponents, score...kind of “situational” analytics. I think, for a sport like hockey, the context is so massively important.
Aside from context, positioning and reactions are also massively important.

Reactions: egelband

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
That’s kind of a weakness of some of the advanced stats I think. They’re almost too accurate. And don’t take into account context. Which you get with the “eye test”.
Anyhow I think everyone agrees the eye test and the stats are both useful.

Everyone does not agree about the eye test, it's actually the thing most likely to lead to debates around here.

The issue with the chart that gets posted here every game is that it's a five-on-five breakdown so it excludes special teams plus it also does some other adjustments. In a game like yesterday's, much of the Ranger action was on the powerplay, and therefore you're not seeing shots generated there. If you look at all situations in yesterday's game, NYR fancy stats look a lot more like what your eyes told you were happening. Just go to the website that the chart is sourced from and poke around. You'll see things starting to make more sense.

Reactions: Pidto Files

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Im not sure but i they probably exclude game situations as well. A team plays differently when up by 4 goals then when behind or tied.

also i wonder how scoring chance is defined. Im sure its very subjective.

Does it count a blown 2 on 1 where a defender makes a good play or the pass was a little off and no shot happened?

does it count an unobstructed shot from the point?

cause to me the blown 2-1 is a much better scoring chance than the unobstructed point shot even though a shot on goal didnt occur

Reactions: Pidto Files

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
Everyone does not agree about the eye test, it's actually the thing most likely to lead to debates around here.

The issue with the chart that gets posted here every game is that it's a five-on-five breakdown so it excludes special teams plus it also does some other adjustments. In a game like yesterday's, much of the Ranger action was on the powerplay, and therefore you're not seeing shots generated there. If you look at all situations in yesterday's game, NYR fancy stats look a lot more like what your eyes told you were happening. Just go to the website that the chart is sourced from and poke around. You'll see things starting to make more sense.
I agree with you here, however the fancy stats also don’t take in to account score of game, this is where the context comes in. It becomes a natural way of thinking to preserve the lead you built up, hence a certain positioning strategy or aggressive pinching do not happen as they would in a different game situation. The fancy stats do not take this in to account. The fancy stats do tell a part of the story, just not the entire story.

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
Im not sure but i they probably exclude game situations as well. A team plays differently when up by 4 goals then when behind or tied.

also i wonder how scoring chance is defined. Im sure its very subjective.

Does it count a blown 2 on 1 where a defender makes a good play or the pass was a little off and no shot happened?

does it count an unobstructed shot from the point?

cause to me the blown 2-1 is a much better scoring chance than the unobstructed point shot even though a shot on goal didnt occur
Ha.. Didn’t catch this post was busy posting my thoughts!! Right on point!!

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Should they gobble up NESN and MASN like Vince gobbled up wrestling territories for the WWF in the 80s?
Yes they should and for ONE reason only. To fire those 2 knuckleheads they have in the booth.
When Sam says ; "should I put on my striped shirt"? I wonder when these guys are going to "take off" their striped shirts.
They call EVERYTHING on the opposition, but the Bruins NEVER should get called, nor ever initiate mayhem in between whistles. Speaking of......
When Sam says that, makes me think of the "Big Whistle". R.I.P.
Bill Chadwick.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Ooof! Sweep them today, ummmm how many here said the Rangers are going to Rongo and NO WAY will sweep them?
Still have work to do TODAY, and I have a feeling it just may be a much more complete victory then the 1st 3 games, certainly better than last.

Rangers 7, Devils 1.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
ONLY 13 assists for bread today to become the best playmaking left winger in that six year period stat thing.

BELIEVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad