3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I’m still not happy with two of the devils goals actually. Coleman blindsided Fox to get a free parking spot in front to make an easy deflection goal. Should have been a penalty and blown dead.

the third one no one has seen go over the line. Total bull**** goal. Amazed by it.

by the way the expected goals? The high danger chances? When you have a goalie in control that eats pucks and doesn’t kick rebounds into the slot all night. That kills a play and limits those long shifts with second and third and fourth chances because he can control his saves those graphs start to look different.

The refs must hate Quinn, thats the only explanation I can think of. We constantly get hosed by baffling calls, every other game it seems. That 3rd "goal", i've NEVER seen anything like that in my life.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
May as well throw in the Caps and Penguins too...I feel the same on about them all . Caps probably more than anyone after watching Ovie run Staal and Girardi every single game the last few years without retaliation . I guess Habs could be included too....for some reason as a Ranger fan I have a lot of built up hate LOL......
Caps, I could care less about. I have hated the Pens every since Maryo was playing.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I agree with all except the Flyers' hate. I have a few Flyers friends and we talk hockey and get along. Plus, I've always had a lot of respect for Bobby Clarke. Plus, their fans are pretty diehard like we are, not bandwaggoners.
Maybe an age thing? I was a teen in the 70s. Hate the Flyers. And their fans. And their city. (actually Philly is kind of nice these days but **** them all anyway)

Reactions: Wicked Backhand

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
The refs must hate Quinn, thats the only explanation I can think of. We constantly get hosed by baffling calls, every other game it seems. That 3rd "goal", i've NEVER seen anything like that in my life.
I remember a couple of years ago at IIHF World Championships that Finland got scored on by a shot that entered the net through a hole in the side netting. Last night's call was really bad but not as bad

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
I have been following the Rangers since 2005 and while I do dislike Devils and Islanders, I do not hate them as much as some other teams. The teams I hate the most are Penguins and Bruins. As for Penguins I think the reasons are obvious ( ohhow I hated Crosby when he was younger). As for Bruins, I have hated them since that final series against Vancouver and will continue to hate them until the last man from that team is gone. Especially Marchand.

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
I remember a couple of years ago at IIHF World Championships that Finland got scored on by a shot that entered the net through a hole in the side netting. Last night's call was really bad but not as bad

So I did some digging and it was actually finland that scored that goal against USA (much to coach Tortorella's dismay :D :

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/controversial-goal-helps-finland-top-u-s-1.765159

"Television replays showed Ville Koistinen's slapshot entering through the outside of the net, but it was allowed to stand as a goal despite official video review."

The goal is at 1:17 mark:

After that goal, nothing really surprises you :D

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I didn’t watch the game but I saw the highlights. I couldn’t believe it when I saw they stuck a third goal up on the scoreboard. The Devils basically just shoved everything into the net and the refs said, ‘Meh, give it to them’. Out of sympathy or “score management”.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Everyone going and reading the Devils board after last night's game

SmartSelect_20200110-214401_Twitter.gif

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Am I the only Rangers fan with zero hatred for the Devils and Islanders. I hate Ottawa and Washington. Because they’re consistently dirty teams. The Isles and Devils are just... opponents

I dunno Eg but you might be on an island with this one as I have zero hatred for a team like the Senators of even the Caps. Not sure how old you are but for peeps like me who were rabid fans in the early to mid 80's when the Isles were beating us year after year after freaking year while they were going on to winning 4 straight Cups, even tho they have pretty much stunk 75-80% of the time since, my hatred and detest for that organization is just about as big now as it was than.

When I think about it, my entire college career up at SUNY-Brockport which is upstate near Rochester, from 1980 thru 1985 pretty much always involved me and my Ranger fan buddies having our hearts broken time after time each spring while at the same time all of our Islander fan friends would be reveling in joy as our teams played each other every year in the playoffs and we would always lose.

Now if your younger...let's say you under 40 years old, the Isles have stunk so bad for most part for the past 40 years and the rivalry has simmered quite a bit compared to what it was, it's really hard to have a hatred for them. But for me, Isles will always be at the top of my personal hate list.

Hatred for the Devils is probably 3rd on totem pole for me as sure we have had a rivalry with them and we have had some memorable playoff series vs them, other than 2011 when they beat us after Henriques BS OT goal slipped by Hank, I don't recall many times they have broken my heart.

But second for me and it's actually pretty darn close to the Islanders on my personal hate list is the Flyers. Once again I'm old enough to remember the bigtime rivalry when it was at it's most intense which was the years Philly won the Cup in '73 and '74 and during the early to mid 80's when our teams seemed to meet every year in the playoffs where we had our fair share of success vs them.

To have witnessed and been around when their goon squad of Dave Shultz, Don Saleski and Bob Kelly would often times beat the crap out of our players at the time with the perfect example being when a Dman of ours at the time Dale Rolfe got one of the biggest beat downs you'll ever want to see and no Ranger came to his rescue, it was very easy for any Ranger fan at the time to develop a huge amount of hatred towards the Flyers.

Than you had the incident in I think 1987 when our best player at the time Tomas Sandstrom got savagely wacked across the neck by Dave Brown who took a baseball swing at him with his stick in what to this day is in my top 3 of cheapest and most dispicable incidents I've ever seen in my lifetime.

So yeah Philly is very hateable...always have been and always will be. But Isles still have the #1 spot and once our team gets to being a playoff contender again which should be as soon as next year, the hate will continue to fester especially if our teams play each other in the playoffs which would be glorious....same goes if we end up playing the Flyers in the playoffs.

Reactions: zephyr and egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I dunno Eg but you might be on an island with this one as I have zero hatred for a team like the Senators of even the Caps. Not sure how old you are but for peeps like me who were rabid fans in the early to mid 80's when the Isles were beating us year after year after freaking year while they were going on to winning 4 straight Cups, even tho they have pretty much stunk 75-80% of the time since, my hatred and detest for that organization is just about as big now as it was than.

When I think about it, my entire college career up at SUNY-Brockport which is upstate near Rochester, from 1980 thru 1985 pretty much always involved me and my Ranger fan buddies having our hearts broken time after time each spring while at the same time all of our Islander fan friends would be reveling in joy as our teams played each other every year in the playoffs and we would always lose.

Now if your younger...let's say you under 40 years old, the Isles have stunk so bad for most part for the past 40 years and the rivalry has simmered quite a bit compared to what it was, it's really hard to have a hatred for them. But for me, Isles will always be at the top of my personal hate list.

Hatred for the Devils is probably 3rd on totem pole for me as sure we have had a rivalry with them and we have had some memorable playoff series vs them, other than 2011 when they beat us after Henriques BS OT goal slipped by Hank, I don't recall many times they have broken my heart.

But second for me and it's actually pretty darn close to the Islanders on my personal hate list is the Flyers. Once again I'm old enough to remember the bigtime rivalry when it was at it's most intense which was the years Philly won the Cup in '73 and '74 and during the early to mid 80's when our teams seemed to meet every year in the playoffs where we had our fair share of success vs them.

To have witnessed and been around when their goon squad of Dave Shultz, Don Saleski and Bob Kelly would often times beat the crap out of our players at the time with the perfect example being when a Dman of ours at the time Dale Rolfe got one of the biggest beat downs you'll ever want to see and no Ranger came to his rescue, it was very easy for any Ranger fan at the time to develop a huge amount of hatred towards the Flyers.

Than you had the incident in I think 1987 when our best player at the time Tomas Sandstrom got savagely wacked across the neck by Dave Brown who took a baseball swing at him with his stick in what to this day is in my top 3 of cheapest and most dispicable incidents I've ever seen in my lifetime.

So yeah Philly is very hateable...always have been and always will be. But Isles still have the #1 spot and once our team gets to being a playoff contender again which should be as soon as next year, the hate will continue to fester especially if our teams play each other in the playoffs which would be glorious....same goes if we end up playing the Flyers in the playoffs.
I started following the Rangers in the late 80s fwiw. And I totally appreciate why many hate the Isles and Devils. But over the past 30 years or whatever they just...I don't know. I just don't care so much about them. The Isles have mostly been awful. And the Devils, though they've been better, we did best them when it counted. I just have worse memories of the Caps and Sens being consistently dirty and cynical.
I appreciate it’s not a popular opinion :)

9darter

Kreider is underpaid
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2007
Göteborg
So I did some digging and it was actually finland that scored that goal against USA (much to coach Tortorella's dismay :D :

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/controversial-goal-helps-finland-top-u-s-1.765159

"Television replays showed Ville Koistinen's slapshot entering through the outside of the net, but it was allowed to stand as a goal despite official video review."

The goal is at 1:17 mark:

After that goal, nothing really surprises you :D

Thanks jagr, that's a fantastic clip!
Dustin Brown's hit on Jussi Jokinen at the final buzzer is one of those that makes you taste blood.
Fantastic language, too!

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I started following the Rangers in the late 80s fwiw. And I totally appreciate why many hate the Isles and Devils. But over the past 30 years or whatever they just...I don't know. I just don't care so much about them. The Isles have mostly been awful. And the Devils, though they've been better, we did best them when it counted. I just have worse memories of the Caps and Sens being consistently dirty and cynical.
I appreciate it’s not a popular opinion :)
Fair enough, it is an age thing and who you play in the playoffs regularly. For us older fans we go back to playing the Flyers and Isles about 7-8 times a season plus many playoffs. I was listening on the radio in our kitchen when Parise scored the OT goal in 75 to knock ous out of that first round best of 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->