Prospect Info: Devils Prospects Re-Ranked

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Larsson was not a prospect at that point though.

And that group while it had some solid prospects it had nowhere near the top end, nor the shear numbers, of the current group.
Are talking with Hughes? Because before this year we had only drafted Muk #20 and Okhotyuk #61 before the 3rd round in the last 6 years.

That previous group was loaded with 2nd rounders...5 of them in 6 years...how can say a group of 5 2nd rounders in 6 years is nowhere near the top end of group with only 2 Dmen drafted above #61 in 6 freaking years?

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Are talking with Hughes? Because before this year we had only drafted Muk #20 and Okhotyuk #61 before the 3rd round in the last 6 years.

That previous group was loaded with 2nd rounders...5 of them in 6 years...how can say a group of 5 2nd rounders in 6 years is nowhere near the top end of group with only 2 Dmen drafted above #61 in 6 freaking years?
Oh, you were talking specifically D men? My bad I thought it was overall prospect pool.

I was including Hughes as well.

Reactions: JimEIV

beekay414

#FireLindy
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I think I have these in a place to where I'm comfortable posting them. Critique away!

BK's Devils Top 30 Prospects
Rank Player Age* Position Potential
1. Luke Hughes, 18, LHD - Top Pair (#1 D)
2. Dawson Mercer, 20, C/RW - Top 6
3. Alexander Holtz, 20, RW - Top 6
4. Nolan Foote, 21, LW - Top 6
5. Shakir Mukhamadullin, 20, LHD - Top 4
6. Graeme Clarke, 21, RW - 2nd Line
7. Chase Stillman, 19, RW - Middle 6
8. Jesper Boqvist, 23, C - Middle 6
9. Kevin Bahl, 22, LHD - 4/5
10. Nikita Okhotyuk, 21, LHD - 4/5
11. Tyce Thompson, 23, RW - Middle 6
12. Reilly Walsh, 23, RHD - 4/5
13. Patrick Moynihan, 21, RW - 3rd Line
14. Jaromir Pytlik, 20, C - 3rd Line
15. Michael Vukojevic, 21, LHD - 5/6
16. Nico Daws, 21, G - Solid Starter
17. Daniil Misyul, 21, LHD - 5/6
18. Fabian Zetterlund, 22, RW - 3rd Line
19. Aarne Talvitie, 23, LW - 3rd Line
20. Case McCarthy, 21, RHD - 5/6
21. Arseni Gritsyuk, 21, LW - Longshot Top 6
22. Samu Salminen, 19, C - Bottom 6
23. Akira Schmid, 22, G - Fringe Starter
24. Marian Studenic, 23, RW - Bottom 6
25. Nikola Pasic, 21, LW - Longshot Middle 6
26. Zakhar Bardakov, 21, C/RW - Longshot Middle 6
27. Cole Brady, 21, G - Fringe Starter
28. Eetu Pakkila, 22, LW - Longshot Middle 6
29. Viktor Hurtig, 20, RHD - 6/7
30. Topias Vilen, 19, LHD - 6/7
*Age during the 2022 Season (Through July)

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think I have these in a place to where I'm comfortable posting them. Critique away!

BK's Devils Top 30 Prospects
Rank Player Age* Position Potential
1. Luke Hughes, 18, LHD - Top Pair (#1 D)
2. Dawson Mercer, 20, C/RW - Top 6
3. Alexander Holtz, 20, RW - Top 6
4. Nolan Foote, 21, LW - Top 6
5. Shakir Mukhamadullin, 20, LHD - Top 4
6. Graeme Clarke, 21, RW - 2nd Line
7. Chase Stillman, 19, RW - Middle 6
8. Jesper Boqvist, 23, C - Middle 6
9. Kevin Bahl, 22, LHD - 4/5
10. Nikita Okhotyuk, 21, LHD - 4/5
11. Tyce Thompson, 23, RW - Middle 6
12. Reilly Walsh, 23, RHD - 4/5
13. Patrick Moynihan, 21, RW - 3rd Line
14. Jaromir Pytlik, 20, C - 3rd Line
15. Michael Vukojevic, 21, LHD - 5/6
16. Nico Daws, 21, G - Solid Starter
17. Daniil Misyul, 21, LHD - 5/6
18. Fabian Zetterlund, 22, RW - 3rd Line
19. Aarne Talvitie, 23, LW - 3rd Line
20. Case McCarthy, 21, RHD - 5/6
21. Arseni Gritsyuk, 21, LW - Longshot Top 6
22. Samu Salminen, 19, C - Bottom 6
23. Akira Schmid, 22, G - Fringe Starter
24. Marian Studenic, 23, RW - Bottom 6
25. Nikola Pasic, 21, LW - Longshot Middle 6
26. Zakhar Bardakov, 21, C/RW - Longshot Middle 6
27. Cole Brady, 21, G - Fringe Starter
28. Eetu Pakkila, 22, LW - Longshot Middle 6
29. Viktor Hurtig, 20, RHD - 6/7
30. Topias Vilen, 19, LHD - 6/7
*Age during the 2022 Season (Through July)

Those projections look pretty reasonable. I think the guys in the 22-23 year old range should hopefully start to hit their strides this season. They are at the point where they are close to finished products for the most part other than the goalies.

Reactions: beekay414

beekay414

#FireLindy
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Those projections look pretty reasonable. I think the guys in the 22-23 year old range should hopefully start to hit their strides this season. They are at the point where they are close to finished products for the most part other than the goalies.
Absolutely. I actually got asked "what age do you stop considering them prospects" by @Forge on our other site and you brought up the 22/23 year olds at basically the same time as he did! That's the cutoff (23 during the season) for my consideration as a prospect. It's part of the reason why Zaitsev fell off in favor of Vilen for my list. So, on that note, hopefully Boqvist/Thompson/Walsh get their shit figured out because this is their last eligible year!

Reactions: My3Sons and Forge

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I understand there was nothing they could do in 2020, and this year there was no way they were taking anyone but Hughes, but man it is just heartbreaking to miss out on Drysdale and Clarke in consecutive years. Don't know when we'll ever be in position to add that kind of talent on the right side again.
Next year. There are a ton of talented RD.

I`m the man of balance and strong defense, so I dont see any need in Severson in roster for 4 more years after his current deal will end. With Hamilton, Smith and Hughes in the future roster there are no real place and time for what he will have from his future contract(5.5+ per year). And now Devils must find replacement with trades or on the next market.
I will understand why we will sign him again after two years, but I don`t like this idea from any angle. Hope devils will fix question of the RD depth.
I like next draft and hope devils will give Tatar one year deal and maximum of minutes to find a way to trade him for 1st round pick somehow. I just want to believe. Organisation has real problem with right defenseman and Severson and Mccarthy\Walsh isn`t the answer.
I hate decision to draft Vilen over Bar and think it was stupid. No matter how will things goin with finnish defenseman.
I dont believe in Walsh. He is Butcher #2 at best.

May be

1. Mccarthy

I really like what I saw from Okhotyuk. He did win absolutely most of the puck battles. He is strong, has great speed and skating. He is no where close to be a good puckmover, but I think he has decent potential to be great third line defenseman, first pairing PK defenseman. I like his game more than game of Vukoevich and especially Bahl. Bahl is the best physic machine I see in all leagues, but he makes some akward moves, doesnt understand where he should move in different situation. I think he can fix it. Anyway I have 90% confidence, that at least one of three will regular NHL player.
I like raw potential of Mukha, but we should slow down expectations and see how he will develope. At the moment, he has weaknesses that he needs to deal with, otherwise he will not be able to be a defenseman in the NHL. The same applies to Hughes - his problems are much bigger, but his set of tools for fixing them is much more suitable.
I will put Zaitsev over Misyul for now. He could be very good left defensive defenseman(4-5th best LD prospect), but I cant rank him so high, because I have no confidence, will he would cross the Atlantic ocean?
I think the organization has done a great job of finding left defensemen. Overkill here.
1. Okhotiuk\Hughes(because he has a LOT to fix)
2. Bahl
3. Vukoevich

May be
1. Mukhamadullin
2. Misyul

I want to make mistake here, what I saw in AHL and NHL, I think Foote can be top-6 NHL forward if only he will be ready for specific role. I think he isnt great skater and isnt great for positional offence for that. I think Gritsyuk has more tolls and mindset for that. he is great line driver. I want to see him in KHL for regular basis. But we put player not for their readiness for NHL, but for their potential. And I think Gritsyuk has more aces and trump in his sleeves. I really want success of Foote, because I like this type of physical player who can score, but from what i saw last year he is little bit passive and uninitiative for this role on my taste. Gritsyuk is over the Foote in my rank.
Anyway Kukka, Yegor, PZ, Bratt, Wood are left wingers and with Foote and Gritsyuk(and Bardakov maybe) this is enough depth to build strong enough core on the left side of offense. Devils needs to find more talent, but this is not the primary task at all.
1. Gritsyuk
2. Foote

After trading Maltsev Devils lost their last close perspective for bottom line center. And I dont see how easily it is replasing. I like decision to draft Bardakov, but he isn`t great zone controller as center and will be better winger and slot fighter on the NHL level. I dont think Thompson has even 2% to be NHL center. Mercer would be better winger. He is very suitable RW for Hughes - as he was with very comparable player Lapierre. Pytlik and Moynihan are good depth guys, but they are not even AHL player and there are no clue they will great on adult level, because they are not top notch player from their peers.
I really like Salminen, but this is a long story and we dont know how he will develope his game. Talvitie was lookin awesome, but after injuries and hurts he isn`t lookin even competent avarage in AHL last year.
Even more. I think Devils are in position to draft potential top-6 center after next draft. I know, I like Nico and I`m big defender of him, but clocke are ticking and time is running. Luke will solid NHl player after 4 may be 5 years. If Nico will stay on the 50pts per season level, there are will be a room to make some movements. I still think he has potential to be 30+ goals 65+ points, but he needs to stay healthy first at all. There are never many first centers. After finding top right defenseman prospect and som RD depth I hope devils will start to work in this way. Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first. Devils are one\two drafts away from selecting center by their first pick.
I hope Boqvist will handle it for the near future, but I see holes in his game for bottom six role. Not so great for top-6, not so sturdy for bottom-6.
1. Pytlik
2. Boqvist
3. Moynihan
May be
1. Salminen

Right wingers? Everything is great for now. I wasnt excited about drafting Holtz, I was watching a ton of his game last year and I have a feeling he is close to burn this world to the ground, but he must find a lot of gas. He is bad two way player for now and pretty passive forechecker for AHL level. For now. He is pretty creative and his shot is pretty dangerous still, but he must to work with his feet and crate more movement. His avarage skating isnt help and his red flags bother me. Hope he will fix it next year and turn the corner. I dont know will he pan out, but if he will - you know. I dont think he is close to be NHL ready. I think he can score on NHL level, especially in PP, but I think he is very raw for 200-foot NHL game.
If you take raw potential, Tyce Thompson is one of our best prospects. May be top-3. He has skating, he has shot, he is very fast and creative. But he has to put it all together, gain more weight and muscles. May be, may be not, I don`t know. It's a lot of fun to watch him, but it often turns into sympathy, rather than delight.
I wasnt sold by Stillman. I see great potential to be a good bottom-6 player who will score 10+ goals and hits more than anyone, but I dont like his feets and how he stays on it(and I think it`s a problem for a player like him to make his work on the slot), I dont see any positioning in his game, he is good forechecker, but I didnt see zone protecting from him. He is winger, thats enough, may be he will be pretty good for his special role in top-6, I don't keep my expectations high.
1 Dawson Mercer
2 Graeme Clarke
3 Alexander Holtz
4 Chase Stillman
May be
1 Tyce Thompson

Mukha is very very strong may be. I think if he will be NHL player he will top-4 player. I think he has raw tools to be a better defenseman than Okhotiuk, Vukoevich, Bahl. He has much better first pass than any defenseman from any prospects. But he has gaps. Like Hughes. But Hughes is Hughes and he will have his chance to play in NHL. And some another chances after even if he will not be integrated immediately. Mukha does not have such a privilege.
Tyce Thompson is not so strong in his may be. But I really like his raw potential. He isn`t Chase Stillman, who can be as 1st line winger, as 4th line winger. He will be top-6 player or AHL player. For now, he's not in a good position.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Next year. There are a ton of talented RD.

I`m the man of balance and strong defense, so I dont see any need in Severson in roster for 4 more years after his current deal will end. With Hamilton, Smith and Hughes in the future roster there are no real place and time for what he will have from his future contract(5.5+ per year). And now Devils must find replacement with trades or on the next market.
I will understand why we will sign him again after two years, but I don`t like this idea from any angle. Hope devils will fix question of the RD depth.
I like next draft and hope devils will give Tatar one year deal and maximum of minutes to find a way to trade him for 1st round pick somehow. I just want to believe. Organisation has real problem with right defenseman and Severson and Mccarthy\Walsh isn`t the answer.
I hate decision to draft Vilen over Bar and think it was stupid. No matter how will things goin with finnish defenseman.
I dont believe in Walsh. He is Butcher #2 at best.

May be

1. Mccarthy

I really like what I saw from Okhotyuk. He did win absolutely most of the puck battles. He is strong, has great speed and skating. He is no where close to be a good puckmover, but I think he has decent potential to be great third line defenseman, first pairing PK defenseman. I like his game more than game of Vukoevich and especially Bahl. Bahl is the best physic machine I see in all leagues, but he makes some akward moves, doesnt understand where he should move in different situation. I think he can fix it. Anyway I have 90% confidence, that at least one of three will regular NHL player.
I like raw potential of Mukha, but we should slow down expectations and see how he will develope. At the moment, he has weaknesses that he needs to deal with, otherwise he will not be able to be a defenseman in the NHL. The same applies to Hughes - his problems are much bigger, but his set of tools for fixing them is much more suitable.
I will put Zaitsev over Misyul for now. He could be very good left defensive defenseman(4-5th best LD prospect), but I cant rank him so high, because I have no confidence, will he would cross the Atlantic ocean?
I think the organization has done a great job of finding left defensemen. Overkill here.
1. Okhotiuk\Hughes(because he has a LOT to fix)
2. Bahl
3. Vukoevich

May be
1. Mukhamadullin
2. Misyul

I want to make mistake here, what I saw in AHL and NHL, I think Foote can be top-6 NHL forward if only he will be ready for specific role. I think he isnt great skater and isnt great for positional offence for that. I think Gritsyuk has more tolls and mindset for that. he is great line driver. I want to see him in KHL for regular basis. But we put player not for their readiness for NHL, but for their potential. And I think Gritsyuk has more aces and trump in his sleeves. I really want success of Foote, because I like this type of physical player who can score, but from what i saw last year he is little bit passive and uninitiative for this role on my taste. Gritsyuk is over the Foote in my rank.
Anyway Kukka, Yegor, PZ, Bratt, Wood are left wingers and with Foote and Gritsyuk(and Bardakov maybe) this is enough depth to build strong enough core on the left side of offense. Devils needs to find more talent, but this is not the primary task at all.
1. Gritsyuk
2. Foote

After trading Maltsev Devils lost their last close perspective for bottom line center. And I dont see how easily it is replasing. I like decision to draft Bardakov, but he isn`t great zone controller as center and will be better winger and slot fighter on the NHL level. I dont think Thompson has even 2% to be NHL center. Mercer would be better winger. He is very suitable RW for Hughes - as he was with very comparable player Lapierre. Pytlik and Moynihan are good depth guys, but they are not even AHL player and there are no clue they will great on adult level, because they are not top notch player from their peers.
I really like Salminen, but this is a long story and we dont know how he will develope his game. Talvitie was lookin awesome, but after injuries and hurts he isn`t lookin even competent avarage in AHL last year.
Even more. I think Devils are in position to draft potential top-6 center after next draft. I know, I like Nico and I`m big defender of him, but clocke are ticking and time is running. Luke will solid NHl player after 4 may be 5 years. If Nico will stay on the 50pts per season level, there are will be a room to make some movements. I still think he has potential to be 30+ goals 65+ points, but he needs to stay healthy first at all. There are never many first centers. After finding top right defenseman prospect and som RD depth I hope devils will start to work in this way. Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first. Devils are one\two drafts away from selecting center by their first pick.
I hope Boqvist will handle it for the near future, but I see holes in his game for bottom six role. Not so great for top-6, not so sturdy for bottom-6.
1. Pytlik
2. Boqvist
3. Moynihan
May be
1. Salminen

Right wingers? Everything is great for now. I wasnt excited about drafting Holtz, I was watching a ton of his game last year and I have a feeling he is close to burn this world to the ground, but he must find a lot of gas. He is bad two way player for now and pretty passive forechecker for AHL level. For now. He is pretty creative and his shot is pretty dangerous still, but he must to work with his feet and crate more movement. His avarage skating isnt help and his red flags bother me. Hope he will fix it next year and turn the corner. I dont know will he pan out, but if he will - you know. I dont think he is close to be NHL ready. I think he can score on NHL level, especially in PP, but I think he is very raw for 200-foot NHL game.
If you take raw potential, Tyce Thompson is one of our best prospects. May be top-3. He has skating, he has shot, he is very fast and creative. But he has to put it all together, gain more weight and muscles. May be, may be not, I don`t know. It's a lot of fun to watch him, but it often turns into sympathy, rather than delight.
I wasnt sold by Stillman. I see great potential to be a good bottom-6 player who will score 10+ goals and hits more than anyone, but I dont like his feets and how he stays on it(and I think it`s a problem for a player like him to make his work on the slot), I dont see any positioning in his game, he is good forechecker, but I didnt see zone protecting from him. He is winger, thats enough, may be he will be pretty good for his special role in top-6, I don't keep my expectations high.
1 Dawson Mercer
2 Graeme Clarke
3 Alexander Holtz
4 Chase Stillman
May be
1 Tyce Thompson

Mukha is very very strong may be. I think if he will be NHL player he will top-4 player. I think he has raw tools to be a better defenseman than Okhotiuk, Vukoevich, Bahl. He has much better first pass than any defenseman from any prospects. But he has gaps. Like Hughes. But Hughes is Hughes and he will have his chance to play in NHL. And some another chances after even if he will not be integrated immediately. Mukha does not have such a privilege.
Tyce Thompson is so strong in his may be. But I really like his raw potential. He isn`t Chase Stillman, who can be as 1st line winger, as 4th line winger. He will be top-6 player or AHL player. For now, he's not in a good position.

Mukhamadullin will apparently come over to North America after the next season? I think Fitz will want him to succeed to validate the pick. I expect NJ to invest time and effort into developing him. Bahl fits the Fitz profile at defense but the shorter players (under 6’3” ) may not be what NJ looks to invest in for now. I’m sure that the team will want to turn over the complimentary non-core pieces but we will see.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Mukhamadullin will apparently come over to North America after the next season? I think Fitz will want him to succeed to validate the pick. I expect NJ to invest time and effort into developing him. Bahl fits the Fitz profile at defense but the shorter players (under 6’3” ) may not be what NJ looks to invest in for now. I’m sure that the team will want to turn over the complimentary non-core pieces but we will see.
Of course they will, but they will not invest in any prospect as in Hughes. That’s obvious. How bad or good it is, doesn’t matter. This is how business work. And Mukha looks like a smart guy, but no one will wait for him two or three years in the situation of high competition. We did wait for Zacha a lot. Because situation was different. Situation is changing right before our eyes. I think they give him one year in AHL. Someone must take Graves spot when he will join free agent market. And after that Mukha will try to battle for a place in 3rd pair. There will be Hughes time year after. I think this is a plan, something can go wrong way, but devils have a lot of plans B for LD situation. Misyul, Vukoevic, even Edwards are insurance. May be someone from Okhotiuk-Bahl duo will play on the right side. They did from time to time in AHL, they did it in OHL before on the regular basis.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Of course they will, but they will not invest in any prospect as in Hughes. That’s obvious. How bad or good it is, doesn’t matter. This is how business work. And Mukha looks like a smart guy, but no one will wait for him two or three years in the situation of high competition. We did wait for Zacha a lot. Because situation was different. Situation is changing right before our eyes. I think they give him one year in AHL. Someone must take Graves spot when he will join free agent market. And after that Mukha will try to battle for a place in 3rd pair. There will be Hughes time year after. I think this is a plan, something can go wrong way, but devils have a lot of plans B for LD situation. Misyul, Vukoevic, even Edwards are insurance. May be someone from Okhotiuk-Bahl duo will play on the right side. They did from time to time in AHL, they did it in OHL before on the regular basis.
Misyul is 20, 2000 with a Oct 20 birthday and his KHL deal runs until 22/23. My guess is that Misyul will probably develop enough to get an offer from us in 2023 off-season but that’s two years from now so who knows. (He’s listed at 6’3” for you height fans.)

Muk is 19, with a Jan 10, 2002 birthday and his KHL deal runs until 21/22. My guess here is that KHL isn’t perhaps known for developing more offensively minded defensemen and the team might not want him tied up in a KHL contract for several years. Muk might have also expressed a willingness to play in the AHL.

Gritsyuk is 20 with a March 15, 2001 and his KHL deal runs until 22/23. He definitely has talent but he hasn’t established himself in the KHL yet. I’m guessing he’ll need more than a year to do that which likely means another KHL deal. The KHL develops offensive smaller wingers pretty well so I don’t see the rush but I wouldn’t be upset if came over sooner.

Zakhar Bardakov is 20, with a Feb 24 2001 birthday and his KHL deal runs until 21/22. I assume the team would try to bring him over next off-season but again, just a guess.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It really was though.

2009 Gelinas in 2nd Urbom in the 3rd
2010 Merrill in the 2nd
2011 Larsson in the 1st
2012 Severson in the 2nd
2013 Santini in the 2nd

2013-14 Merrill made his debut and it was very promising. Larsson was in year 3. Gelinas, Urbom, Severson and Santini were still strong viable prospects and 2014 Josh Jacobs added in the 2nd round

Those were the most promising prospects there were still guys like Helgeson, McPherson, Scarlett, Burlon, Hrabarenka who were maybe's in 2013.

Urbom was not a prospect in 2013-14. He was exposed to waivers in 2013, played a limited role with the Caps, and came back here to be stuck in the minors for the 4th straight year. Burlon was in his draft year +6, McPherson was in his draft year+7. They were not maybes.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Urbom was not a prospect in 2013-14. He was exposed to waivers in 2013, played a limited role with the Caps, and came back here to be stuck in the minors for the 4th straight year. Burlon was in his draft year +6, McPherson was in his draft year+7. They were not maybes.
How does being exposed to waivers make him not a prospect? He was 22 years old and played 14 NHL games when he was exposed on October 3rd 2013.... that's a prospect by any measure.

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
How does being exposed to waivers make him not a prospect? He was 22 years old and played 14 NHL games when he was exposed on October 3rd 2013.... that's a prospect by any measure.
I assume it’s because it was Urbom’s D+5 year, he had been in the AHL/NHL system for three years already and he turned 23 on December 23, 2013.

It depends on your definition of prospect and I feel like this is going to get into quibbling. A key part of still being a NHL prospect in the literal sense for signed players in NA is their ELC and their waiver exemptions.

Urbom signed his ELC before the 2009-10 season but it slide twice so he still had a year left in 2013-14. He had played 190 AHL games by then as well as 14 NHL games before the 2013-14 season and he wasn’t waiver exempt. It was the about the end if he didn’t stick in the NHL.

Being in his last year of his ELC was important because if he didn’t make headway in making the NHL then he wouldn’t get a deal that would keep him in North America. And he didn’t.

The fact that Urbom played 1 season in KHL in 2014-15 after leaving, then 4 seasons in the SHL, then 1 season in the DEL and now is in something called the bet-at-home ICEHL at age 30 suggests he’s probably not very good (no offense to that Austrian league).

To me, to be a true prospect in the NA system a player has to be on his ELC and waiver exempt. Once you aren’t waiver exempt then have to be good enough to stick or so crappy that no one bothers to steal you. And once they’re RFAs, it’s over, the have to get qualified and get one-way deals or two-way deals OR they’re dumped.

To me once your ELC is over, you aren’t really a prospect. Blake Coleman made it as AHL player, he was on a two way contract in 2017-18 that he signed when he was 25 years old. I like Studenic but he’s a RFA and he’ll be 23 in October. Young players can improve, sometimes a hell of a lot, but they are fringe NHLers to me.

Talvitie will be 23 in February but he just started his two year ELC and he’s waiver exempt for both years (unless he plays 70 NHL games). He may not have a very high ceiling but does have a good bit of runway to get going while he’s still under team control. That makes him a prospect (to me, everyone can have their own rules obviously).

This does mean players in European leagues often get to be considered “prospects” longer (if we have their rights) but big whoop, it doesn’t mean that much if they aren’t signed.

Edit: Damn, this is a grammatical nightmare. What’s proofreading again?

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
To me, to be a true prospect in the NA system has to be on his ELC and waiver exempt. Once you you aren’t waiver except then have to be good enough to stick or crap that no one bothers to steal. And once they are RFAs, it’s over you have to get qualified and get one-way deal or two-way deal OR they dump you.

To me once your ELC is over, you aren’t really a prospect. Blake Coleman made it as AHL player, he was on a two way contract in 2017-18 that he signed when he was 25 years old. I like Studenic but he’s a RFA and he’ll be 23 in October. Young player can improve, sometimes a hell of a lot, but they are fringe NHLers to me.

This is how I view it as well - Studenic will fly through waivers in October if he's still in the organization, but he's not really a prospect now that he's waiver-ineligible. He can still be a full-time NHLer, but he's not a prospect at this point. Merkley wasn't either once he was exposed to waivers. If a team is willing to put you on waivers, it means they didn't value you highly enough to make a corresponding move to get you into the NHL, and either A: they thought you would sneak through, which does happen sometimes even to 'valued' guys or B: they figured you might be claimed, but weren't worth enough to work out a trade involving, and great if you stay in the system. Either way, it's seldom good and the list of players in the 23-25 age range claimed on waivers who managed to become even average players is not long.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->