Devils Prospect Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
The season hasn't even begun yet, but some Devils fans are already looking at next season. It's still early, and much can change, but there are indications that as many as 4 rookies could be in the Devils lineup next season. They include:

Ryan Getzlaf: Could be a third line center as early as next season. Currently has been mostly playing in a 3rd/4th line role with the NHL's Ducks, Getzlaf has 4 points and a +5 in his first 8 games, impressive numbers for a player averaging barely 10 minutes a game. He has recently been promoted to the second line, and Devils fans will be closely monitoring his progress.

Tomas Vanek: Everyone is excited about his potential to be a top line sniper, and so far he is delivering for the Buffalo Sabres of the NHL, with just one exception: he has yet to score a goal. The good news is that it seems like only a matter of time. He has put up 4 shots per game, has 7 assists in 8 games, and has been all over the ice so far. While he may be snakebitten at the moment, he has been creating lots of chances, and once he gets that first goal it could open the floodgates.

Pavel Vorobiev: Easily one of the most shocking stories of the early NHL season. Vorobiev was just about written off as a prospect by most experts, yet he is currently third in rookie scoring with 9 points in his first 8 games. While it seems unrealistic to expect Vorobiev to keep up at this pace, the hope is that he can continue playing with intensity and score 50 points this season, and be the 3rd line rw next season.

Yann Danis: Currently the backup in Montreal, Danis has had a hard time getting on the ice thus far, but in his 1 shot he did make the most of it, shutting out the Atlanta Thrashers. With Huet nowhere near ready to come back from a knee injury, Danis has a chance to establish himself as the full time backup.

Other Prospects Making News:

Petr Vrana: Vrana is a small center with skill and intensity, future captain material. In his first season in the AHL he is leading the River Rats in scoring with 4 goals and 6 points in 6 games, good for 8th amongst all rookies. Fully recovered from a shoulder injury two years ago, Vrana is a virtual lock to make the HFNHL at some point due to his solid two way play, but the rule changes may help him excel as a top-6 forward.

Tuomos Pihlman: Staying with the Albany River Rats, left wing Tuomos Pihlman has been playing well this year, scoring 4 points in his first 3 games. Pihlman had a solid rookie season in the AHL two years ago, but was unable to show improvement last year. Vrana is a big kid who plays big, and if he can rediscover the scoring touch he displayed in Finland, he could turn into a 2nd line power forward.

Martin Podlesak: Keeping with the theme of prospects that were all but written off, Martin Podlesak was once a solid center prospect, who has had trouble shaking off past concussions. Despite playing just 70 games and scoring only 15 points the past 3 seasons combined, Podlesak currently sits second on his team in scoring with 8 points in 8 games. Most thought his career all but through, but with his immense size (6'6" 220 lbs) he could be an ideal 3rd/4th line center if he can stay healthy and make up for the lost development time.

Randy Jones: Jones has good size skill, but has been extremely inconsistent thus far in his pro career. If he can iron out his game he could be a legit 3rd pairing defenseman. He has been impressive thus far, and earned a brief call up to the Flyers when they had injury problems, seeing action in 2 games and getting 1 assist.

Dylan Hunter: Hunter is putting up some gaudy numbers in London right now, but then again so is the rest of the team. While 22 points in only 8 games is impressive no matter who you play with, Hunter will not be able to truly be evaluated until next season when he begins his pro career.

Marc-Andrey Fleury: Had a good first game with the Pens this seaosn, before the horrible defense caught up to him. The .890 s% he put up with the team is misleading, as it was actually better than any other goalie. He has been great since returning to the AHL, putting up a .963 s% and 1.00 gaa in 4 games.

Quick Hits:
Patrick O'Sullivan: Off to a solid start to his pro career with 4 points in his first 6 games.
Alexandre Picard: One of the younger players in the AHL having just turned 20, Picard has gotten off to a slow start with 1 assist in 4 games.
Mike Egener: Held off the scoresheet thusfar, which isn't a surprise for a stay at home dman, Egener is -3 on the season with 14 pim in 5 games.
Maxime Lapierre: Lapierre has had a difficult time adjusting to the AHL, no points and a -3 in 5 games.
Devan Dubnyk: Has gotten off to a slow start and currently sits 17th in the WHL with a .898 s%.
Mike Card: Establishing himself as a legitimate prospect, currently leads all WHL dmen with 18 points.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Good read, Rich!

As a former owner of Pavel Vorobiev's rights, I honestly can't say I'm surprised by his early season performance. It's just that I expected him to step up and deliver this performance two or three years ago. Better late than never! ;)

Seriously though, glad to see that Vorobiev battled as hard off the ice to beat his injuries as he does on the ice.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
As another former owner of Vorobiev's rights, I'm surprised but also glad to see him succeed. I always liked the guy, and after a couple tough years in the AHL, I was worried he might not put it together. Apparently all it takes is a little opportunity and ice time at the next level though.

I think he came to me in return for Al MacInnis or something, and then I dealt him to you at the 2004 draft, in exchange for a pick I used to select Andrej Meszaros. Obviously I'm liking that deal now, but I'm actually quite happy it's working out to be a win-win deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille