Prospect Info: Devils Prospect Poll 2013- #1

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I'm a big Gelinas fan and I want to see him in the NHL this season, but Merrill is still easily ahead of him in my book.

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
I really don't know which it's such a landslide for Merrill considering the past few years with the small amount of hockey he's had b/c of injuries and off ice problems with suspensions etc. He's still a awesome prospect, but Gelinas has surpassed him IMO as the best prospect.

I'm really high on Gelinas and the way he plays. He's a great great skater, big body, a rocket of a shot, scores goals, and he's improved a lot defensively. He's ready for prime time.

He is further along than Merrill. I would basically put Merrill right now where Gelinas was at this point in his development a year ago.

Oh, and these polls are much more fun when we have prospects to actually rank :D

NJD Kula

THE SPITFIRES LINE
Jan 16, 2009
По&#1082
www.rshl.org
add mys balls i mean myles bell

I'm not sure Boucher shouldn't be #2, he's rocketing up the charts because of the Devils lack of young forwards. There may be 4-5 defensemen that are better prospects than Reid but obviously due to #s you're going to see Reid make an impact in the NHL before them based on need of scoring forward. Heck, Matteau is probably a higher ranked prospect but because scoring, and the potential for it, is valued so highly we could see Reid > Step.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
Legitimately shocked Severson has so few votes. Not only is he better than Merrill right now, but he has higher upside. He's our #1 prospect at the moment and it's really not debatable.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I go with Merrill because I think he has similar top end potential to gelinas and severson but I think he's more likely to hit it.

Urbom is IMO the most ready and safest of the d-prospects, but probably has one of the lowest ceilings.

Boucher is attractive because of our lack of forwards, but I don't know that he is as safe a prospect as the d-men. Likewise matteau is probably one of the most likely prospects we have to have a long career, but he will most likely max out as a 2nd/3rd line tweener. That makes it hard to compare certain guys. I value an almost guaranteed average player over a more risky superstar, though in certain cases the ceiling is high enough above the safer picks to make the riskier guys (Merrill, Boucher, gelinas) above the safe picks (urbom, matteau, santini).

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I don't really see what's so special about Gelinas. He's tall and he has a nice point shot....that's about it.

Same with Urbom. Don't see what the big deal is. He's a big guy and can skate pretty well. That's nice, I guess. He might be the safest to make it to the NHL and is the most "ready" at the moment, but I don't see him being a regular player for us long-term.

Merrill is the complete package. He's smarter, quicker, better positionally, smoother, a better skater, better passer, and better defensively. I don't care how little hockey he's played. He has a higher ceiling and I'd argue he's the superior player at the moment.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Gelinas showed more poise in his first game than Urbom has in any of his games...One game is relatively meaningless I understand but I like what I saw from Gelinas...He at least showed he can take care of his own zone against high level players...that is what will get him an opportunity with the team.

JerryGigantic

Old Skool
Jul 17, 2006
New York
Gelinas showed more poise in his first game than Urbom has in any of his games...One game is relatively meaningless I understand but I like what I saw from Gelinas...He at least showed he can take care of his own zone against high level players...that is what will get him an opportunity with the team.

Agree with Jim here. Thought that Gelinas really impressed in his one game up (as did Henrique in his first NHL game) and immediately leapfrogged Urbom in my opinion. Curious to see where they both land on this list.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Legitimately shocked Severson has so few votes. Not only is he better than Merrill right now, but he has higher upside. He's our #1 prospect at the moment and it's really not debatable.

He is #3 for me. I have Gelinas ahead of him, but not by much. I like both of them, but I think Gelinas's proximity to the NHL level gives him the edge for right now.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I really don't know which it's such a landslide for Merrill considering the past few years with the small amount of hockey he's had b/c of injuries and off ice problems with suspensions etc. He's still a awesome prospect, but Gelinas has surpassed him IMO as the best prospect.

I'm really high on Gelinas and the way he plays. He's a great great skater, big body, a rocket of a shot, scores goals, and he's improved a lot defensively. He's ready for prime time.

Agree, one would think that our #1 prospect would have done something in the past couple years to earn that spot. What has Merrill done exactly?

Not that I see an obvious #1 to put ahead of Merrill, just surprised he is the "obvious choice" of so many.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Bingo :yo:

I don't really see what's so special about Gelinas. He's tall and he has a nice point shot....that's about it.

Same with Urbom. Don't see what the big deal is. He's a big guy and can skate pretty well. That's nice, I guess. He might be the safest to make it to the NHL and is the most "ready" at the moment, but I don't see him being a regular player for us long-term.

Merrill is the complete package. He's smarter, quicker, better positionally, smoother, a better skater, better passer, and better defensively. I don't care how little hockey he's played. He has a higher ceiling and I'd argue he's the superior player at the moment.

Merrill is already 21 or 22 years old, played a handfull of games to finish off the year in Albany and hasn't done anything spectacular for us to label him as a "can't miss prospect". Playing at the NCAA level and the AHL level is night and day when comparing... well, everything.

Merrill probably has a bright future ahead of him and has the "on ice skills" to be a NHL player but he needs to learn how to be a pro and that's probably why he isn't on top of my list over someone like Gélinas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad