Devils ownership discussion thread (mod note: post #17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
i really hope you are right.

just mad at the fact that we gave up assets for a first round exit. lets hope the young guns pick up the slack. ill be cheering for the devils all year. my $200 bet for them to win the cup says it all.

I get it, but it can be argued it's still a part of the process for the team. Shero traded away draft picks and prospects to give this team a chance to get in the playoffs and experience it. The hope is going to be that it gives them the hunger for more than they got.

There is no reason that our younger players shouldn't improve. And teams aren't always built in the offseason. It's entirely possible Shero makes another move midseason as he did for Vatanen.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I sincerely doubt that the Devils are on a budget with an ownership duo that also owns an NBA franchise and a Premier League club. I can’t talk about Crystal Palace because I have no idea how they’re run, but with the Sixers, Blitzer and Harris are content to sign the checks while somebody deals with the sports side, only intervening when they want to replace that person. That’s the exact same plan at work with the Devils.

Thinking about it further, I guess I don’t have a problem with this strategy, but I’m starting to have doubts about if Shero is the best guy to implement it.

You’d be right if you assumed that Crystal Palace also operates autonomously of Harris and Blitzer.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
dont apologize. this is going down hill fast. the deadline accusations were horrible and they did nothing during the off-season. shero grade was an A. now is a C.

we will miss the playoffs this year if they dont do something.

wasting halls prime.

hope im wrong

"this is going down hill fast"

lol some of you guys will never be happy, I am convinced of that much.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
i really hope you are right.

just mad at the fact that we gave up assets for a first round exit. lets hope the young guns pick up the slack. ill be cheering for the devils all year. my $200 bet for them to win the cup says it all.

had we not acquired the players we did, we might not have even made the playoffs. We literally made it by 1 point. One goal here or there and we could have missed.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
LETS GO DEVILS!!!!!!!!!!!!

watch

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Obviously we’ll never know what was really in the cards, but it’s disappointing that Shero could not make a Karlsson trade happen. Severson is a much better player than the roster players SJ traded, and will probably be much better than any of the prospects. Even without an extension, you take a chance when someone is pretty much giving away one of the best players in the sport.

The window is obviously not shutting anytime soon, and barring something catastrophic I have no concerns at all that Hall will be here for the long run and will have a lot of excellent hockey still to give. But we still need at least two impact players to take the next step. It’s plausible that Smith becomes a legit top pairing defenseman. So that’s one. Then you got to hope that Zacha flips the switch and turns into a monster. Stranger things have happened. If not it’s got to come from outside the organization and I don’t think any GM will take the chance of being on the wrong side of a Taylor Hall type deal with Shero. Maybe he can snag a guy like Neidereitter, a good player but not a next level type.

Just don’t want to be one of those zombe franchises that are in and out of the playoffs, whose only real shot at taking the next step is sucking in the right year and winning a lottery pick.

Trading Severson+ for one season of EK would have been a terrible move.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Exactly. If you're a team that legitimately thinks Karlsson is that final piece that will win you a Cup, you can roll the dice on him leaving after just one season. We are not in the position to take that kind of gamble, especially not at the cost of players/picks/prospects that are part of the future we're still building towards. Some people on this board seem to think that we've arrived and should be acting more like an annual playoff team or Cup contender than the up and coming team we still are.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Did some people not catch that one of the conditional picks was specifically to keep him out of the East? Kind of hard to trade for a player whose team isn't even listening.

I don't think this necessarily precluded Karlsson being traded inside the conference. The Senators just didn't want a repeat of the last deal they made where they sent a player to San Jose and then he was quickly shipped elsewhere for a better return. Furthermore, if somehow San Jose's season goes sideways and they want to move Karlsson, they don't want him going to Toronto.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

If the plus needed to be this year’s first and other stuff you could live without, you’re out of your mind. Unless you’re stuck in the first two months of the 14-15 season and still think he’s going to turn into Roman Josi.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If the plus needed to be this year’s first and other stuff you could live without, you’re out of your mind. Unless you’re stuck in the first two months of the 14-15 season and still think he’s going to turn into Roman Josi.

You can’t be serious. We would not be winning a cup with EK this season.

Giving up a really good young player and a 1st for a rental is absolutely insane for a team in our position.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Exactly. If you're a team that legitimately thinks Karlsson is that final piece that will win you a Cup, you can roll the dice on him leaving after just one season. We are not in the position to take that kind of gamble, especially not at the cost of players/picks/prospects that are part of the future we're still building towards. Some people on this board seem to think that we've arrived and should be acting more like an annual playoff team or Cup contender than the up and coming team we still are.

Adding Karlsson to this team would put the team in the realm of Cup plausibility this year. With him, the Devils are probably better than the 2011-12 team.

But more to the point, if that’s your view of the world, then there’s really not much point watching the team for a while.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Giving up a really good young player and a 1st for a rental is absolutely insane for a team in our position.
I don't know this to be the case.

Take last years team and add an all world D-man?

Not to mention having young guys mature.

Would it make us a favorite? No, but we'd be in the mix.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

Give me the plan to take the next step besides more drafting and hope for the best with Zacha, McLeod and Severson? That’s not a terrible plan, but I don’t see it ever leading us to the promised land.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Adding Karlsson to this team would put the team in the realm of Cup plausibility this year. With him, the Devils are probably better than the 2011-12 team.

But more to the point, if that’s your view of the world, then there’s really not much point watching the team for a while.

Mortgaging the future prematurely is not how you make a perennial winner.

Who takes Severson’s spot when EK walks? How do we bring in new talent to replace what we lost after he walks without our first?

Reactions: Darkauron

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't know this to be the case.

Take last years team and add an all world D-man?

Not to mention having young guys mature.

Would it make us a favorite? No, but we'd be in the mix.

You don’t trade away key assets from a building team for a rental to just “be in the mix”.

This is silly and how GMs get fired.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Give me the plan to take the next step besides more drafting and hope for the best with Zacha, McLeod and Severson? That’s not a terrible plan, but I don’t see it ever leading us to the promised land.

its not just those guys

its Hichier developing. Its Bratt. Its Butcher. Its Wood. Its Mueller. Its Ty Smith, who by all accounts will be a dynamic player for us.

The oldest guy out of those I just listed is Mueller at 23.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You don’t trade away key assets from a building team for a rental to just “be in the mix”.

This is silly and how GMs get fired.
Well no trade guarantee's a title. And Im not sure what you mean by key assets.

That said I've been anti EK trade forever, so we agree on the fundamental.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Well no trade guarantee's a title. And Im not sure what you mean by key assets.

That said I've been anti EK trade forever, so we agree on the fundamental.

Severson and a first rounder are key assets. We would be worse off long term without those two pieces if/when EK inevitably left for free agency.

If those pieces are going out, it should be for someone signed. I value a signed piece that is below EK’s level then EK as a rental.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Severson and a first rounder are key assets. We would be worse off long term without those two pieces if/when EK inevitably left for free agency.

If those pieces are going out, it should be for someone signed. I value a signed piece that is below EK’s level then EK as a rental.

IF EK walked we would have a lot of cap space to then go sign a RHD if we wanted.

Or maybe we roll Vat's, Santini, Walsh.

But again, I was against the trade.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Mortgaging the future prematurely is not how you make a perennial winner.

Who takes Severson’s spot when EK walks? How do we bring in new talent to replace what we lost after he walks without our first?

If Severson and a pick in the 20s next year is “the future” to turn down even one year of Karlsson, you either think Severson is about to be a superstar or the team still isn’t that good, in which case it logically follows that we might as well blow the whole thing up.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
its not just those guys

its Hichier developing. Its Bratt. Its Butcher. Its Wood. Its Mueller. Its Ty Smith, who by all accounts will be a dynamic player for us.

The oldest guy out of those I just listed is Mueller at 23.

And all of those guys would still be here. When did we get back to believing that Severson was the next coming of Bobby Orr?

Mods, should this discussion get move somewhere else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad