Devils ownership discussion thread (mod note: post #17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
has it occurred to anyone that maybe shero has a plan with the owners to continue developing the franchise without veering towards a fiscal cliff where the potential gains of having high-priced stars aren't clearly justified by what they would cost up front? like, it seems like both a hockey AND financial decision.

why would we trade young assets or mortgage the future to spend like $16m annually between two high-priced signings? i would rather the organization spend within its means and continue to invest in developing young players and keeping prudential center a premier nhl venue, effectively growing and keeping strong the njd brand and basically guaranteeing they'll be in newark forever.

have we not been paying attention to what has become of zach parise?

What did he sign a 13 year deal? Lot different if he only signed a 7 like now. Wild would be close to being out of it then

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Bobby Ryan would bring in assets that will help the team that’s why you bring him in. It’s basically paying 7 million dollars to get extra picks and prospects or young nhl players.
Isn't it more like $28 million? I'm not sure how many first round picks I'd want for $28 million.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If I wasn't so in favor of the direction this team is headed in terms of building up the young talent pool, both at the NHL level and all the prospects at the lower level, then I might be concerned about owners willingness to spend.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Bobby Ryan is due $30 million over the next 4 years in actual money

we better be taking on some MAJOR assets if we are taking on that deal. I realistically have no interest. Hell, I was hesitant to do it if it meant we were also getting Karlsson

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
It's not only just money and cap space. TB, for example, has over $45M of their cap tied up in players with some sort of NTC/NMC. That's hurting them right now in their pursuit of EK - one of their players with that protection HAS to leave a low-tax, competitive team in Tampa to play for a team that is definitely not as talented and definitely charges more in taxes. Which complicates this situation for them even more.

Spending just to spend is bad, but you can forgive overpaying for a free agent a little bit. But if you give that same player a protection clause, you handcuff yourself further in the future. Gotta think that that is a consideration, as we are seeing it play out right now. So it's not just signing someone, but signing someone to the right contract. I'm guessing Rejean is paying attention to this with any/all free agents.

Reactions: My3Sons

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Isn't it more like $28 million? I'm not sure how many first round picks I'd want for $28 million.

Well figure he would take a roster spot and that player made 3 million it’s then “only” 16 million I’m sure the devils would look to expose him to Seattle too.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Teams were handing out NMCs and NTCs like candy. They still are, and it should continue to bite them in the ass down the line.

Tampa basically has to convince one of those guys to waive to come here, a rebuilding Rangers team, or the death pit that is Ottawa.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Teams were handing out NMCs and NTCs like candy. They still are, and it should continue to bite them in the ass down the line.

Tampa basically has to convince one of those guys to waive to come here, a rebuilding Rangers team, or the death pit that is Ottawa.

Do the tax savings but backwards for leaving Tampa. Those players wont waive away millions of dollars.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Well figure he would take a roster spot and that player made 3 million it’s then “only” 16 million I’m sure the devils would look to expose him to Seattle too.
What if we figure the spot he takes is Joey Anderson? Who is under contract anyways, and if he did play up in NJ, we could then perhaps replace at the AHL level with an AHL vet who makes something much less.

But anyway you cut it, it's way more then $ 7 mil.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Devils couldn’t get in on hossa deal? Heck keep the prospects and give us a second instead. But was real money involved or just cap? I asked and someone believed the yotes are paying 200,000$?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Devils couldn’t get in on hossa deal? Heck keep the prospects and give us a second instead. But was real money involved or just cap? I asked and someone believed the yotes are paying 200,000$?

They did the deal they did. They probably didn't want to trade a 2nd. They traded a 3rd for a 5th and got rid of some decent players who are nearing arbitration/UFA. That's it. On here I read things like they would trade their 1st to get rid of this contract. No way they were ever doing that.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
They did the deal they did. They probably didn't want to trade a 2nd. They traded a 3rd for a 5th and got rid of some decent players who are nearing arbitration/UFA. That's it. On here I read things like they would trade their 1st to get rid of this contract. No way they were ever doing that.

I agree they would never trade a first but still interesting with actual money involved devils didn’t get in on it hmmmmmmm not saying it means anything hmmmmmm interesting though

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Again I still want to see one of the professional cynics answer the question of why Shero - a Stanley Cup winning GM who's well-respected in hockey - would take a job with a team who had bottom five talent in the league at both the AHL/NHL levels that was also going to have this supposedly super restrictive budget. He had enough of a resume he didn't need to take what would amount to a dead-end job, and one following a legend at that.

And yes the Hossa trade had nothing to do with money per se (Hinostroza, Osterle and the pittance they have to pay on Hossa's deal is basically canceled out by Kruger from a money standpoint, not a cap standpoint) though it was a use of cap space trade. The Yotes basically got a middle six winger, a third round pick and a middling depth defenseman but they also gave up a guy who was a third round pick in 2017, a fifth rounder, a couple of AHL players and Kruger. If that's enough to move the needle for you fine, but it's nothing I'm going to lose sleep over unless this Hinostroza is somehow a breakout star in the making.

Last edited:

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I responded before why shero would take the job. It’s a win win for him.

Out of work and we are a small market in any season. During the winter? The devils barely even scratch the paper of our state. So who’s going to hold his feet to the flames? So now he comes here with no expectations since we are absolutely horrible. He has no worry that he will lose his job (since no one would want to work here anyway). But let’s just say he can turn this around? He will look like a super human and drive his price up around the league. If he doesn’t and gets canned? Well as long as he doesn’t make stupid moves like millburry he has the perfect out for an interview. “Nj is brutal and ownership didn’t want to give me the tools to win”. Who would know?

Again I’m in the middle. With these owners until proven otherwise. I can make the argument they aren’t spending and can make it they are. But I don’t know not looking good imo

Also I’m still confused is Arizona paying actual dollars for hossa? OR is his cap hit the only thing they have on their books? Is that $200,000 actual cash they have to pay him?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Shero is probably not getting a third GM job if he fails in his second go-around, after already being fired once. Maybe the Cup buys him another chance but it'd be with another dead-end job. You don't willingly take on a job with two hands tied behind your back in some vanity exercise if you can wait for or pick a better job, unless your resume is literally beyond reproach where you would get another chance. And why would he care about avoiding pressure? He grew up in a hockey family and dealt with win-now pressure in Pittsburgh just fine.

Hossa's actual salary is $1 million, his cap figure is much higher cause every other team in the league was allowed cap circumvention deals and I'm not sure Arizona even pays that or whether insurance does. Hinostroza makes $1.5 million on his current deal. Oesterle makes $650k. Total that's barely over $3 million. Kruger alone makes $2.775 million. This deal had absolutely zero to do with 'money'.

Reactions: Blender and My3Sons

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm a little lazy today, but is there seriously an argument that ownership is cheap because we didn't take on Hossa? Like what in that package did we even want anyway?

Reactions: Blender

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I'm a little lazy today, but is there seriously an argument that ownership is cheap because we didn't take on Hossa? Like what in that package did we even want anyway?

there was no way we were in on hossa…..ray's gotta know that if we got him count bettman would find a way to stick it to the team with some sort cap circumvention bullshit conveniently invented out of the air

Reactions: Bleedred

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Just not totally convinced the owners are willing to do what it will take.

Yes, we know. We know that because you used the Hossa trade, a trade that involved equal money on both sides, as an example of how the owners won't do what it takes. It basically means you think everything that isn't them spending more money is evidence that they won't spend more money.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yes, we know. We know that because you used the Hossa trade, a trade that involved equal money on both sides, as an example of how the owners won't do what it takes. It basically means you think everything that isn't them spending more money is evidence that they won't spend more money.
Yup

Some of these people almost wanna see us write checks just to write checks.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yup

Some of these people almost wanna see us write checks just to write checks.
We should have greatly overpaid for every free agent possible this summer just to prove we can spend because we have empty cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad