Devils or Rangers: Who has the better future?

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Who are the players that will lead each team’s future?

Centre? Jersey might be better
D? Jersey
Goal? Rangers
Wing? Rangers

How is NJ slightly better at center for the future? Zibanejad is about to be 30 and when the Devils guys are about to enter their prime soon in Hischier and Hughes

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
you must be high. which team has the 23 year old Norris winner??

Right and the only thing Devils fans have had going for them the last 10 years is making fun of the Rangers for Redden Richards Gomez Drury and are now conveniently pretending Hamilton isn't going to be just as big a disaster like every other UFA signing.

Reactions: bl02

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's spinning himself into circles that he can't keep straight, it's pretty fun to watch.

I gotta say, arguing that the best player in a draft isn't a good 1OA for that class is a pretty dumbfounding thing to say so that surprised me. I'm hoping we get another thesis out of this explaining that you can take more advantage of a 1OA pick by somehow not picking the best player in the draft.

You gave up the game right here, and proceed to argue something you can’t even say without couching it in language that redirects the initial discussion.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
Right and the only thing Devils fans have had going for them the last 10 years is making fun of the Rangers for Redden Richards Gomez Drury and are now conveniently pretending Hamilton isn't going to be just as big a disaster like every other UFA signing.

You really showed that non-Devils fan!!! They must be devastated now that you made fun of a team they don't root for.

You probably should adjust your time period a little bit though. Then you would REALLY devastate non-Devils fans.

Reactions: Guttersniped

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
You really showed that non-Devils fan!!! They must be devastated now that you made fun of a team they don't root for.

You probably should adjust your time period a little bit though. Then you would REALLY devastate non-Devils fans.

I can adjust it to 15 years and my point would still stand

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
You gave up the game right here, and proceed to argue something you can’t even say without couching it in language that redirects the initial discussion.

You're hysterical. You keep chastising others that they "don't have the right to change the topic of a conversation they weren't involved in" when that's EXACTLY what you did. The conversation you foolishly butted into was about how the Rangers had unique advantages. You pointed out the Devils also had unique advantages (great job remaining on topic here btw).. then subsequently decided the conversation was really about "taking advantage of advantages" the entire time. It wasn't that at all until you started running yourself into circles (my favorite part is when one poster confused you so much that you went from arguing with them to agreeing with them without realizing it).

So let's keep going because this is fun.

You state: "Not getting a 1OA caliber player with the 1OA pick is a failure". Just a wholly dumb statement. A 1OA caliber player is exactly that.. a player that is justified going as 1OA. If he's the best player from the draft, he's 1OA caliber. There's no other way to define that term. Teams don't get to decide the relative caliber of draft classes. It's a failure to not get the best player available at each position (and I actually agree with you that it doesn't matter what consensus was at the time, GM's don't get to use that as an excuse)... but how in the f***ing world does a team who picks the best player available at 1OA fail? They did as good as they could have with that pick, by definition.

Heck, you argued EXACTLY that earlier in this thread (and then even decided to call out your future self).

You had the pick of the players. Not being able to evaluate the best player out of a group of 7-8 is a failure. That applies for any team picking first. Devils, Rangers, anyone. When you end up picking the 4th or 5th best player in an 8 pick stretch, how could someone assert that doesn’t make a big difference? This applies to Hischier, and it might eventually apply to Hughes. Having first pick is an advantage that comes with big expectations that you’ll pick the best player in the top tier of the draft. I don’t know how someone could seriously argue that.

Last edited:

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
Rangers fan. Rangers in the short/immedate term, maybe the devils in the medium/long term (5+ years).

That's with all things being equal today, without consideration to the Devils getting a very good pick in next year's deep draft or the Rangers potentially trading assets to make a run if they're doing well in February of any of the next few years.

History teaches us nothing:

We're 2 years removed from the Devils celebrating their tremendous offseason of landing Jack Hughes, PK Subban, Nikita Gusev, and Wayne Simmonds. That summer the Rangers only were able to add Trouba, Kakko and Artemi Panarin. I say this with righteous sarcasm because Devils fans were comparing Gusev to Panarin and saying:
Subban >>>>>> Trouba.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
Rangers fan. Rangers in the short/immedate term, maybe the devils in the medium/long term (5+ years).

That's with all things being equal today, without consideration to the Devils getting a very good pick in next year's deep draft or the Rangers potentially trading assets to make a run if they're doing well in February of any of the next few years.

I think this part of your post is pretty much spot on.

The Rangers are actually in a pretty fascinating position to me. There's a few very different directions they can go in that makes it really interesting to try and project which is best. The biggest decision point IMO revolves around Zibanejad. Do you keep your bonafide 1C and solidify what will almost assuredly be a strong contending group with the window mostly being Panarin/Zib's primes? Do you trade/lose Zibanejad and hope that you can find another 1C within your current group/draft/FA.. which would very much extend the window but at the cost of certainty? and that's not even to mention the possibility of Eichel.. which is an option somewhere in the middle of the road but comes with its own risks/costs.

Laf really changed things IMO. If you didn't have him, I think it's an easy decision to just go all-in for the next 3-4 years and contend with Panarin/Zib's prime buoyed by your youngsters. Add in Laf, though, and I think there is a real consideration to the young core being good enough to contend without the need for a prime Panarin/Zib. The Rangers lacked the high-end offensive talent in their system previously.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
How is NJ slightly better at center for the future? Zibanejad is about to be 30 and when the Devils guys are about to enter their prime soon in Hischier and Hughes
He's 28 and lets just hope the Rangers best center ages as gracefully as the Devils best defenseman who is the same age.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
We're 2 years removed from the Devils celebrating their tremendous offseason of landing Jack Hughes, PK Subban, Nikita Gusev, and Wayne Simmonds. That summer the Rangers only were able to add Trouba, Kakko and Artemi Panarin. I say this with righteous sarcasm because Devils fans were comparing Gusev to Panarin and saying:
Subban >>>>>> Trouba.

I'd say Devils fans should act like they've they've there before (aka making a big UFA splash) but the truth is.. they just have never been here before.

I see where they get it from considering how embarrassing their Twitter feed has been with all the Dougie memes.

I bought tickets for the first Rangers/Devils game at Prudential Center earlier in April through the Devils site and I guess that put my email address and phone number on an automatic mailing list and I've been getting a ton of emails from them like "Come do the Dougie at The Rock". I had enough and unfortunately had to tell the poor ticket rep who I guess was my "ticket representative" about the 4th time he called me that I'm actually a Rangers fan who just lives in NJ because I had enough of memes, even though I do respect the hustle considering I thought the biggest mistake the Islanders made when they first moved to BK was not doing enough outreach to tap into all the young adults who moved there once they graduated.

I had friends from school from Massapequa who lived 4 blocks from Barclays and didn't even know the Islanders were playing there.

Thank God the dumb Ric Flair video will be gracefully put out of its misery once he gets canceled once the upcoming Dark Side of The Ring episode for the Plane Ride From Hell drops.

Last edited:

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
He's 28 and lets just hope the Rangers best center ages as gracefully as the Devils best defenseman who is the same age.

Forwards tend to exit their primes quicker than dmen, I mean it’s also a honest question to ask that. I like Zibanejad as a player but it’s still iffy to give him an 7-8 year deal.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Forwards tend to exit their primes quicker than dmen, I mean it’s also a honest question to ask that. I like Zibanejad as a player but it’s still iffy to give him an 7-8 year deal.
I guess it depends I can give a lot of examples of both forwards and Dmen who exit their prime in their early 30's. Devils did what they had to do to lock up much needed RHD (which is at a huge premium in the NHL right now). The Rangers will just have to do the same with Mika if they feel that is the best way to go.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I'd say Devils fans should act like they've they've there before (aka making a big UFA splash) but the truth is.. they just have never been here before.

I see where they get it from considering how embarrassing their Twitter feed has been with all the Dougie memes.

I bought tickets for the first Rangers/Devils game at Prudential Center earlier in April through the Devils site and I guess that put my email address and phone number on an automatic mailing list and I've been getting a ton of emails from them like "Come do the Dougie at The Rock". I had enough and unfortunately had to tell the poor ticket rep who I guess was my "ticket representative" about the 4th time he called me that I'm actually a Rangers fan who just lives in NJ because I had enough of memes, even though I do respect the hustle considering I thought the biggest mistake the Islanders made when they first moved to BK was not doing enough outreach to tap into all the young adults who moved there once they graduated.

I had friends from school from Massapequa who lived 4 blocks from Barclays and didn't even know the Islanders were playing there.

Thank God the dumb Ric Flair video will be gracefully put out of its misery once he gets canceled once the upcoming Dark Side of The Ring episode for the Plane Ride From Hell drops.

E6mMkvQWYAEG8aD.jpg

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Adam foxes norris is a fraud one tbh. He pretty much padded incredibly hard against the Sabres, Devils and Flyers

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Adam foxes norris is a fraud one tbh. He pretty much padded incredibly hard against the Sabres, Devils and Flyers

And then so did Buchnevich, yes? And so the return actually wasn't as bad as everyone is making it to be since he's just a fraud who padded incredibly hard against the Devils, Flyers and Sabres?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Drury had a great offseason. It's just a meme at this point.

The Rangers absolutely needed more checking and he got that by adding NHL players instead of thugs.

The revisionist history that Gorton didn't do grit and toughness is crazy. Gorton was obsessed with grit and acquired it every offseason. The difference is that he added absolute trash like Haley, McLeod, McQuaid, and Lemieux and targeted infamous busts like Andersson and Howden because they were "toff."

Drury, meanwhile, is getting solid players. Even Reaves is an NHL 4th liner and is prime Jagr compared to Howden.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Drury had a great offseason. It's just a meme at this point.

The Rangers absolutely needed more checking and he got that by adding NHL players instead of thugs.

The revisionist history that Gorton didn't do grit and toughness is crazy. Gorton was obsessed with grit and acquired it every offseason. The difference is that he added absolute trash like Haley, McLeod, McQuaid, and Lemieux and targeted infamous busts like Andersson and Howden because they were "toff."

Drury, meanwhile, is getting solid players. Even Reaves is an NHL 4th liner and is prime Jagr compared to Howden.
You literally went through the 5 stages of grief as a fanbase and they still will end up missing the playoffs

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I still don't buy the rangers. Lets see how they do on the ice rather than in the offseason. their offseason grade is a D right now
But why?

They addressed their needs and the team still got better on paper.

They went from an AHL bottom six to one of the better ones.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
But why?

They addressed their needs and the team still got better on paper.

They went from an AHL bottom six to one of the better ones.[/QUOTE]
they need to score and not just add in more sandpaper. goodrow, blais and reaves need to be productive scorers rather than the rangers essentially relying on Panarin Strome and Zibanajed again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad