Devils or Rangers: Who has the better future?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
they need to score and not just add in more sandpaper. goodrow, blais and reaves need to be productive scorers rather than the rangers essentially relying on Panarin Strome and Zibanajed again
The Rangers are 7th in goals in the last two years.

Oh no we're relying on Panarin to score! That's a precarious position!

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
We're gonna lose a few games like every team in the league when their best player goes cold?

People talk about Panarin like every team in the league doesn't lean on their stars.

Over the last 126 games, it's gotten us more goals than 24 teams. It's not a concern.
gotten you no playoffs

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Nice. So now that the scoring thing has been disproven with readily available statistics, we're just gonna do conspiracy theories.
reggie mills.gif

This is the rangers year in and year out under dolan.

Platano King

Current mood
Jun 13, 2019
San Diego
The Devils look good, but the Rangers have a Norris winner and Hart finalist. I'm not sure the Devils have anyone as good as Panarin or Fox yet.

I think the one thing the Devils might have over us is cap flexibility, especially if Drury makes the move for Eichel. The only big contract they have long-term is Hamilton if I'm right, and we're gonna have to figure out a way to fit Krieder, Trouba, Panarin, and Fox's and Mika's big extensions in the next few years.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Don't you love when people add literally nothing of value to the discussion other than pointless shit for the purpose of weak shit talk?
i can add in value

the rangers rebuild has stalled out and I see nothing but smoke and mirrors, and the NHL gifting them a 1st and 2nd overall set of picks that have yet to impress or leave a mark in the NHL. The devils will be better, the isles will be better, and the rangers can hold onto 1994 because that's the last cup they'll see for a good long time. show me actual results on the ice and not your hypothetical prospects and an asterisk norris trophy from an overrated defenseman

Platano King

Current mood
Jun 13, 2019
San Diego
i can add in value

the rangers rebuild has stalled out and I see nothing but smoke and mirrors, and the NHL gifting them a 1st and 2nd overall set of picks that have yet to impress or leave a mark in the NHL. The devils will be better, the isles will be better, and the rangers can hold onto 1994 because that's the last cup they'll see for a good long time. show me actual results on the ice and not your hypothetical prospects and an asterisk norris trophy from an overrated defenseman

Right. So your idea of adding "value" to a discussion is simply the buzzwords of a 13 year old hater in an IG comment section. The NHL "gifted" the Rangers top picks......in draft lotteries where they had a ~10% chance to win each time. Adam Fox is overrated and his Norris trophy has an "asterisk" because.....Adam Fox plays for a team I don't like.

By that logic, should I consider Scott Neidermayer's Norris an "asterisk trophy?" What about Marty's Vezina trophies? They're asterisks too, right? Because they went to the team I don't like? And the Devils lottery wins? Bettman gifted them Hughes and Hischer! Of course they were rigged, they went to the bad and stupid red team and not the good blue team!

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Right. So your idea of adding "value" to a discussion is simply the buzzwords of a 13 year old in an IG comment section. The NHL "gifted" the Rangers top picks......in draft lotteries where they had a ~10% chance to win each time. Adam Fox is overrated and his Norris trophy has an "asterisk" because.....Adam Fox plays for a team I don't like.

By that logic, should I consider Scott Neidermayer's Norris an "asterisk trophy?" What about Marty's Vezina trophies? They're asterisks too, right? Because they went to the team I don't like? And the Devils lottery wins? Bettman gifted Hughes and Hischer! Of course they were rigged, they went to the bad and stupid red team and not the good blue team!
tell you what

i'll come back here at the end of the 2021-22 season. if the rangers finish below the devils, i will laugh. i will laugh simply at the rangers and their rebuild.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You're hysterical. You keep chastising others that they "don't have the right to change the topic of a conversation they weren't involved in" when that's EXACTLY what you did. The conversation you foolishly butted into was about how the Rangers had unique advantages. You pointed out the Devils also had unique advantages (great job remaining on topic here btw).. then subsequently decided the conversation was really about "taking advantage of advantages" the entire time. It wasn't that at all until you started running yourself into circles (my favorite part is when one poster confused you so much that you went from arguing with them to agreeing with them without realizing it).

So let's keep going because this is fun.

You state: "Not getting a 1OA caliber player with the 1OA pick is a failure". Just a wholly dumb statement. A 1OA caliber player is exactly that.. a player that is justified going as 1OA. If he's the best player from the draft, he's 1OA caliber. There's no other way to define that term. Teams don't get to decide the relative caliber of draft classes. It's a failure to not get the best player available at each position (and I actually agree with you that it doesn't matter what consensus was at the time, GM's don't get to use that as an excuse)... but how in the f***ing world does a team who picks the best player available at 1OA fail? They did as good as they could have with that pick, by definition.

Heck, you argued EXACTLY that earlier in this thread (and then even decided to call out your future self).

As I said, you gave away the game. The goalposts have left the United States. You aren’t even trying to argue about what this discussion was about. You think you can comfort yourself into winning this discussion. Collect your likes from partisan Devil fans, if you like. What I said is clear and you are deceiving no one. I don’t need to defend what I said any further. It’s there to see.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Rangers axing their front office in a tantrum for missing the playoffs will set them back. Dolans ruin everything.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
The Devil's still have a few years or more before they start to come online. The Rangers are ready to become annual playoff competitors as soon as next year. It's too soon to tell who will truly have the better team but for now you have to tip the scales towards the Rangers. Their depth on D is enviable and will only get better as their prospects start to graduate in 2 to 3 years, which is when the Trouba contract becomes moveable. The Rangers have issues at center but they have wingers that play the center role on offense which allows them to fill those holes with cheaper more defensive minded centers.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
As I said, you gave away the game. The goalposts have left the United States. You aren’t even trying to argue about what this discussion was about. You think you can comfort yourself into winning this discussion. Collect your likes from partisan Devil fans, if you like. What I said is clear and you are deceiving no one. I don’t need to defend what I said any further. It’s there to see.

Ah, the old I can't keep up so I'm going to stop talking about the subject matter entirely. It's okay, you got in over your head and you couldn't keep straight the bullshit you were spewing... it happens. You contradicted yourself multiple times fairly blatantly so the only thing that is clear is that you entered this conversation with the goal of saying whatever so you could win an internet argument. Only thing I'm disappointed about is that this is still a clear runner-up to your Tom Wilson thesis... you can do better than this.

Reactions: NJ DevLolz

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
The Devils look good, but the Rangers have a Norris winner and Hart finalist. I'm not sure the Devils have anyone as good as Panarin or Fox yet.

I think the one thing the Devils might have over us is cap flexibility, especially if Drury makes the move for Eichel. The only big contract they have long-term is Hamilton if I'm right, and we're gonna have to figure out a way to fit Krieder, Trouba, Panarin, and Fox's and Mika's big extensions in the next few years.

Doesn't that also scare you a bit, though? The Rangers had a Norris winner and a Hart finalist and still missed the playoffs by a pretty decent margin (11 points in a shortened season). There were certainly mitigating factors with the Panarin mess, COVID and the division imbalance... but I think it geos to show both Rangers and Devils fans how far both teams really have to go to be able to compete. Even if you take out those mitigating factors + guarantee that both Panarin/Fox put up equivalent seasons, there's still a sizeable gap to overcome between cracking the playoffs and contending.

Some of the gap will surely be eaten up by development made within but its a little bit of a race against time as to how quickly that development will happen vs how many seasons will everyone already producing be able to keep at it (and I'm not really talking strictly primes here but stuff like down-years, injuries, etc.).

Don't get me wrong, I'd still much rather be in the Rangers shoes right now than the Devils (my earlier posts spelled this out but the Rangers are definitely the safer bet between the two, even if the window may already have a possible expiration date).. but it really speaks to how much more is needed throughout the line-up that a Norris/Hart caliber player isn't enough to even put you close.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Forwards tend to exit their primes quicker than dmen, I mean it’s also a honest question to ask that. I like Zibanejad as a player but it’s still iffy to give him an 7-8 year deal.
100 % Agree. But regarding the thread, I think there's a difference between considering the future as the next 2-5 years, or considering the future being in 5+ or so years.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
i can add in value

If the NHL is gifting you when you get a 1st & 2nd overall pick, what’s it called when you get two 1st overall picks?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
i can add in value

Do you consider NJD being gifted 2 #1 picks? Or is the salt just there because NYR finally had a decent draft # after years of trading away their first, or finishing mid-range because despite not winning, they just didn't suck enough?

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
100 % Agree. But regarding the thread, I think there's a difference between considering the future as the next 2-5 years, or considering the future being in 5+ or so years.
It depends on which team you want to win this thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad