Rumor: Devils not done making moves.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
you can keep believing that.

no one said to hand him a spot. He has earned it and will continue to do so in camp. What more does he have to gain in Spokane? He dominated last season and won DMan of the year.

So wait, my original premise is that i had him on the outside looking in because I think he should have to earn it...you argue that it's silly, and now are saying that nobody is saying to hand him a spot.....let's let that sink in for a moment. Get back to me when you realize the silliness of your angle here.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Am I missing something? CapFriendly says they have $12.445M in cap space and that they only need to re-sign Butcher and Zacha.
Butcher probably gets 4-5, Zacha 3ish - so that leaves them with a comfy ~5M to play with.

I think the Devils are likely done, outside of a tweak trade on the defense. ie Vatanen for a similar level guy on the other side.

Reactions: Yatzhee

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
So wait, my original premise is that i had him on the outside looking in because I think he should have to earn it...you argue that it's silly, and now are saying that nobody is saying to hand him a spot.....let's let that sink in for a moment. Get back to me when you realize the silliness of your angle here.

My point is he is on the team. Write it in pen.

Reactions: Blackjack

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
My point is he is on the team. Write it in pen.

Maybe so, Like I said, I think he's got a good chance.

Yet you chose to denigrate my opinion as "silly" when you yourself have admitted that we shouldn't just had him a spot (IE, he should earn it), and your opinion is simply the flip side of the coin in that you are assuming (yes, it's an assumption given he hasn't made the squad yet) that he will make the team, whereas I'm taking a more cautious approach and waiting for him to actually do so. My take may be cautious...maybe even pessimistic if you want to look at it that way...it's not silly.

Last edited:

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Maybe so, Like I said, I think he's got a good chance.

Yet you chose to denigrate my opinion as "silly" when you yourself have admitted that we shouldn't just had him a spot (IE, he should earn it), and your opinion is simply the flip side of the coin in that you are assuming (yes, it's an assumption given he hasn't made the squad yet) that he will make the team, whereas I'm taking a more cautious approach and waiting for him to actually do so. My take may be cautious...maybe even pessimistic if you want to look at it that way...it's not silly.

Theoretically speaking, you're right. Smith needs to earn his way onto the team like anyone else.

In this case though, there's a wrinkle because of what happened in camp last year. Smith outplayed almost everyone else at camp on the blue line, and fully earned a spot, but then was sent back down to Spokane anyway. It wasn't a case of borderline, it wasn't even close. He should have made the team. Full stop. Smith was rightfully pissed, and while he never said anything against Shero or Hynes, he was clearly upset by that.

I actually think that this is the unusual case where, because of what happened last year, the team will be under some pressure to give him his 9 games no matter what. And as long as he doesn't look out of place, they'll keep him up.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Any defensemen on cap-strapped teams who might be available?

D depth trade might be something we'll have to wait until during the season. The Kings probably aren't motivated to move Alec Martinez right now, but if they're out of it by new year's, then they'll probably look to deal him and call up one of their kids. In the mean time, we can give Smith a look and Mueller a possible last chance.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Theoretically speaking, you're right. Smith needs to earn his way onto the team like anyone else.

In this case though, there's a wrinkle because of what happened in camp last year. Smith outplayed almost everyone else at camp on the blue line, and fully earned a spot, but then was sent back down to Spokane anyway. It wasn't a case of borderline, it wasn't even close. He should have made the team. Full stop. Smith was rightfully pissed, and while he never said anything against Shero or Hynes, he was clearly upset by that.

I actually think that this is the unusual case where, because of what happened last year, the team will be under some pressure to give him his 9 games no matter what. And as long as he doesn't look out of place, they'll keep him up.
I am 99.99% certain Smith will be on the Devils this year.

Reactions: Smitty426

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

And that's really all I'm waiting for. My expectation is that he'll be fine, but you never know. So I don't want to count chickens before they hatch and all that.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Any defensemen on cap-strapped teams who might be available?
Colorado aren't cash-strapped, but they have a gluttony of depth defensemen who could be available.

Girard ------- Johnson
Zadorov ----- Makar
Byram ------- Cole* (out until mid December)

Connauton, Graves, Barberio, Rosén.

+ Timmins and Meloche.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto

Smith was also cut on-camera in middle of television show...that's rough

Reactions: Blackjack

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Devils fans, how do you feel about your team right now?

I Think most of us are cautiously optimistic

the defense still isnt good enough but with the additions of Subban and Ty Smith this year that should improve it quite a bit

the biggest worry is goaltending. If the Devils get the goaltending they got from January on last year, they'll be a playoff team. If they get the goaltending from the first half of the season, they will be screwed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad