Rumor: Devils not done making moves.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Watch them sign Butcher to a 1 year deal, then retain on the deal and flip him to Vegas for Gusev and sign Gardiner.

I'm not sure how I would feel about that.

Frankly, I think Butcher is too much for Gusev. Everyone is infatuated with him, I get that, but he's also a completely unproven entity you're likely only going to have for 2 years before needing a new constract, and he's going to cost 4 million. Butcher + retained salary is too much. Reports were that offers were a second + low level prospect. That's like finding a house you love for 300K, knowing there are a couple offers out there at 303K, and then deciding to offer 350K. No real reason to go that above and beyond the existing offers in my opinion.

I have kicked around ideas like this (Trading Butcher for top 6 help, signing Gardiner), but but it's a risky play. Any Gardiner deal is likely short term (1-2 years at this point, I would think). That is going to leave us in a scary position on the left side of the defense moving forward without a ton of cap space (depending on extensions for Bratt, Mac, Nico, Hall, etc). Greene is a FA, Mueller is a FA and a bottom pairing / 7th D. Vats is a free agent. Gardiner would be gone likely in a year or two.

So if I'm moving Butcher for top 6 help, it's a package for something like Nylander or Ehlers (and don't jump on me Toronto / Winnipeg fans, this is just an example), not Gusev.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Gardiner would be a great addition! People that think he’s horrible defensively haven’t watched many games. Solid all around and I’m sure the forwards would love to have a D that can get them the puck.

We have plenty of DMen that can get the forwards the puck

We don't have plenty of DMen that are solid in their own zone and in front of the net, which Gardiner is not

Reactions: Puckclektr

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Are they done now?
I wouldn't pretend to know their situation and plans, but even once they sign Butcher and Zacha they should still have a good $6-7M in cap space? I don't think they need to sit on any space to be ready for next year either... even raises to Hall and Hischier should be covered by their expiring deals next year.

Devils should very much be watching for any remaining "targets of opportunity"... in the form of leftover UFAs who could sign for much less $$$/term than originally expected, or prey on any other teams that need to make cap moves. Anything they can add short term this year is just gravy. No pressure to make moves. But if the right opportunity comes along, why not?

Reactions: BatVader

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I wouldn't pretend to know their situation and plans, but even once they sign Butcher and Zacha they should still have a good $6-7M in cap space? I don't think they need to sit on any space to be ready for next year either... even raises to Hall and Hischier should be covered by their expiring deals next year.

Devils should very much be watching for any remaining "targets of opportunity"... in the form of leftover UFAs who could sign for much less $$$/term than originally expected, or prey on any other teams that need to make cap moves. Anything they can add short term this year is just gravy. No pressure to make moves. But if the right opportunity comes along, why not?
The Devils need to be looking for an improvement on defense. For better or worse I think we'll be sticking with Schneider and Blackwood (though we'll probably sign a vet goaltender for Binghamton to be an emergency reserve... or just go with Senn I suppose). But the defense is imbalanced and not well set up to keep a lead in crunch time.

There's always Gardiner, but he seems like more of the same (even if better) and doesn't fill the team's more specific needs. Unless he wants to come on a 1-year deal, I guess.

Any defensemen on cap-strapped teams who might be available?

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Impressed with the Devils moves this offseason. I'm sure Hall is taking notice and appreciates what they're trying to do around him in order to keep him in NJ and improve the team.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
The Devils need to be looking for an improvement on defense. For better or worse I think we'll be sticking with Schneider and Blackwood (though we'll probably sign a vet goaltender for Binghamton to be an emergency reserve... or just go with Senn I suppose). But the defense is imbalanced and not well set up to keep a lead in crunch time.

There's always Gardiner, but he seems like more of the same (even if better) and doesn't fill the team's more specific needs. Unless he wants to come on a 1-year deal, I guess.

Could I interest you in a slightly used Dmitri Kulikov?

Reactions: BatVader

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

I don't know that we really do in the short term. I have kicked around the Gardiner idea a time or two, but assuming everything works out with Butcher, I find it more likely that Vats ends up playing his off hand. So it'll be something like maybe

Butcher - Subban
Vats - Severson
Greene - Carrick
Mueller

Yeah, I don't love Carrick, but as a bottom 6 defender, is it really worth the quibble? I'd love to have a more pronounced stay at home presence in the the lineup, I just don't know if that is in the cards.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I don't know that we really do in the short term. I have kicked around the Gardiner idea a time or two, but assuming everything works out with Butcher, I find it more likely that Vats ends up playing his off hand. So it'll be something like maybe

Butcher - Subban
Vats - Severson
Greene - Carrick
Mueller

Yeah, I don't love Carrick, but as a bottom 6 defender, is it really worth the quibble? I'd love to have a more pronounced stay at home presence in the the lineup, I just don't know if that is in the cards.
You're missing Ty Smith.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I have no idea what Gardiner might be waiting on or what his offers are, but if he was down to something really slim like $2.5M x 1 yr, might as well pounce on that. He may not be the exactly ideal long-term fit, but if you've got the cap space and at least some way to arrange things on the roster, that's an asset "for nothing", basically. :dunno:

Or likewise if Shattenkirk gets bought out, say. He may not be worth $6M long term, but those guys do have some skills --- at the right price/term.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Nope. I'm not convinced he makes the team. Obviously, he has a shot (and a good one). But I think that he has to earn it, so for the time being, I have him on the outside looking in.
This is the safe approach with a young d-man. You don't want to be a "rebuilding" team, exactly, right? Make him BEAT an NHL player to make the team. Maybe he can. But not a lot of teenage defensemen are ready to do that. He has been fantastic in junior, for sure. But if he's ready for the NHL now, he'll beat whoever you have in your last spots, even if you sign another guy. Meanwhile, might as well sign the other guy just in case.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
No way it happens, the second year is a killer. Devils have to sign Hall (hopefully), Hischier, and Bratt next offseason. That's probably $22-25 million AAV. They do not need Backes's $6 million clogging up their cap.

The Bruins would be giving up an asset to make it happen which is very important.

Devils are so far below the cap it won't be an issue.

Greene, Simmonds and Vatanen also are coming off the books.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Nope. I'm not convinced he makes the team. Obviously, he has a shot (and a good one). But I think that he has to earn it, so for the time being, I have him on the outside looking in.

thats silly

he nearly earned it last year and won CHL defenseman of the year. They aren't going to send him back to Spokane again, I would bet my life on it

Reactions: Classic Devil

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The Bruins would be giving up an asset to make it happen which is very important.

Devils are so far below the cap it won't be an issue.

Greene, Simmonds and Vatanen also are coming off the books.

unless the asset is extremely good, there is no reason for the Devils to take on Backes. They also have no room for him in the lineup even on the 4th line currently.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
This is the safe approach with a young d-man. You don't want to be a "rebuilding" team, exactly, right? Make him BEAT an NHL player to make the team. Maybe he can. But not a lot of teenage defensemen are ready to do that. He has been fantastic in junior, for sure. But if he's ready for the NHL now, he'll beat whoever you have in your last spots, even if you sign another guy. Meanwhile, might as well sign the other guy just in case.

Exactly. You don't have to rush him just because he's one of your better prospects and a recent first round pick. If he's good enough to make it, he certainly will. He's all of 19 or 20 years old or whatever. He's still a little undersized, so he can still develop both physically and with regards to his on ice game. Greene is still captain of this team, still does mighty fine work on the PK and is still one of the better shot blockers in the league (and nobody on the Devils is even close to him in that regard. Greene had 208 last year, which may have led the league. Second highest on the Devils was Severson with all of 87). Mueller isn't anything special, but you could probably do worse as a third liner / 7th defender. I'm pretty sure he led the Devils defensemen in shot suppression last year. And Butcher is just fine. Those three plus Vats on his off hand sometimes isn't great, but it's not bad enough that I feel the need to have to rush Smith either.

Reactions: NNCbama

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
thats silly

he nearly earned it last year and won CHL defenseman of the year. They aren't going to send him back to Spokane again, I would bet my life on it

It's not silly. He may make the team, he may not. We will see. I see no reason to guarantee him a spot just because he's a former first round pick. let him earn it.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
It's not silly. He may make the team, he may not. We will see. I see no reason to guarantee him a spot just because he's a former first round pick. let him earn it.

you can keep believing that.

no one said to hand him a spot. He has earned it and will continue to do so in camp. What more does he have to gain in Spokane? He dominated last season and won DMan of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->