Post-Game Talk: Devils lose to the Flames (3-2)

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
We had a hot start last year during a shortened schedule (in which early games actually kinda mattered) and still missed the playoffs.

We shouldn't be panicking unless this keeps up at around December/late November. It's still like six games in.

We can't afford to wait that long. That's what Lou did during the Maclean fiasco and it wound up being way too late.

In my mind 20 games is the max before a shakeup of some kind has to happen.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
We actually did play pretty well tonight, it was special teams that killed us.

After a sloppy start we were fantastic 5-on-5, and Marty was excellent.

That's true and kinda funny. They were brutal 5 on 5 early in the game but the PK looked good. It's amazing how much this team's performance can change within a single game.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
We had a hot start last year during a shortened schedule (in which early games actually kinda mattered) and still missed the playoffs.

We shouldn't be panicking unless this keeps up at around December/late November. It's still like six games in.

There going to be out of it by the time November/December rolls around if something doesn't change. Hell, they might put themselves seriously behind the 8 ball by the time October ends at the rate there going.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
There going to be out of it by the time November/December rolls around if something doesn't change. Hell, they might put themselves seriously behind the 8 ball by the time October ends at the rate there going.

The point is you have no clue if this is going to continue or not. I thought we were going to stay at the top of the conference last year when we won the first few games. :laugh:

I'm going to give this 20 games. If things don't change then I'll gladly eat crow. But now isn't the time to panic like we are going to finish dead last in the league.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Steve and Chico said in the post game that they think Schneider should start next game, and that Pete would probably go back to him. And that you just gotta do what you can to try out a winning lineup.

I have no issues with the way Marty played tonight, but I would like to see Cory get a shot too. I wouldn't protest if Marty did get the next game, he sure didn't play himself out the game tonight IMO. I would however seriously wonder if Cory would get another start before the next back to back, and if Pete plans to only use him like he used Hedberg when Marty's been healthy.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I'd rather Kurtis Foster out on the ice at this point over Volchenkov

At least Foster brings something to the table with his shot

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd rather Kurtis Foster out on the ice at this point over Volchenkov

At least Foster brings something to the table with his shot

And Foster was actually benchable. Something we've yet to see happen to Volchenkov. Well it did happen a couple times last year.

Right now he needs to go away. Somewhere far away.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Go figure, the one night where the team shows up the stupid referees decide to screw everything up.

I ****ing hate the NHL. Nice job giving the Flames the win you ****ing zebra pieces of garbage. So sick of the pewee level officiating in this joke of a league. The call on Ryder and the "interference" on Volchenkov were both absolutely inexcusable. Its the same ****ing song and dance from these people every single season and I've had it.

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
Go figure, the one night where the team shows up the stupid referees decide to screw everything up.

I ****ing hate the NHL. Nice job giving the Flames the win you ****ing zebra pieces of garbage. So sick of the pewee level officiating in this joke of a league. The call on Ryder and the "interference" on Volchenkov were both absolutely inexcusable. Its the same ****ing song and dance from these people every single season and I've had it.

I agree. The Devils didn't play a great game or anything, and I usually don't blame refs. But this was easily our game if it wasn't for those three BS calls.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Few things I need to get off my chest.

Bryce Salvador is a beast. I don't and never will understand the hate for our captain. He plays solid defensively almost every game and has to cover for an adventerous Zidlicky (and does it better than anyone else can on this team), yet everybody keeps ******** on him on these boards.

Bryce is the glue that keeps the defense together, whether you want to believe it or not. He does a lot of hard work that goes unnoticed and its kind of sad. Just because he can't skate from end to end with the puck and deke like a videogame hockey player doesn't make him a bad D-man.

Brodeur played excellent tonight as well, shades of young Marty at points with the flashy glove saves and the sprawling. Marty is still one of the best and he continues to prove game in and game out that he still has gas in the tank.

Say what you want about Pete, the team's play in the 3rd or whatever, the referees absolutely ****ed NJ out of a win in this game. NHL officiating continues to be the worst in pro sports, and every season nothing is done about it. Not going to rant anymore about the refs because it won't make a difference, but this loss is 100% on them. ****ing idiots.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Few things I need to get off my chest.

Bryce Salvador is a beast. I don't and never will understand the hate for our captain. He plays solid defensively almost every game and has to cover for an adventerous Zidlicky (and does it better than anyone else can on this team), yet everybody keeps ******** on him on these boards.

Bryce is the glue that keeps the defense together, whether you want to believe it or not. He does a lot of hard work that goes unnoticed and its kind of sad. Just because he can't skate from end to end with the puck and deke like a videogame hockey player doesn't make him a bad D-man.

Brodeur played excellent tonight as well, shades of young Marty at points with the flashy glove saves and the sprawling. Marty is still one of the best and he continues to prove game in and game out that he still has gas in the tank.

Say what you want about Pete, the team's play in the 3rd or whatever, the referees absolutely ****ed NJ out of a win in this game. NHL officiating continues to be the worst in pro sports, and every season nothing is done about it. Not going to rant anymore about the refs because it won't make a difference, but this loss is 100% on them. ****ing idiots.

That loss is not on the refs. Even after Calgary scored that horrific 2nd goal, they should have regrouped at the intermission and came out guns blazing in the 3rd which they didn't. The refs didn't blow 2 different leads and forget to show up for the first 15 minutes of the 3rd and the refs certainly didn't make Salvador leave Monahan wide open in front of the net.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
That loss is not on the refs. Even after Calgary scored that horrific 2nd goal, they should have regrouped at the intermission and came out guns blazing in the 3rd which they didn't. The refs didn't blow 2 different leads and forget to show up for the first 15 minutes of the 3rd and the refs certainly didn't make Salvador leave Monahan wide open in front of the net.

It was Zidlicky who left him wide open, not Sal. Bryce was covering his man in front of the net and Zids decided to try and double team him for whatever reason, leaving Monahan wide open.

Sal has a very very very tall order trying to cover for Zidlicky and nobody here seems to acknowledge that. He's gotta cover for the guy almost every shift and he does a pretty good job at it while also facing tough competition from opposition forwards. There's a reason the guy has a "C" on his chest.

As for the refs, I'd like to see the outcome of this game if Ryder's goal wasn't stolen from him. My bet is that NJ would be celebrating its first win tonight, and I think that's a pretty safe bet.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's okay guys, we're still leading the league in CORSI and Fenwick. Maybe it'll actually get us a win a decade from now :sarcasm:

Karus

Mar 10, 2008
Kolozsvar
It was Zidlicky who left him wide open, not Sal. Bryce was covering his man in front of the net and Zids decided to try and double team him for whatever reason, leaving Monahan wide open.

Check the replay again. Zidlicky was covering a man while Salvador was admiring the play on that goal.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's okay guys, we're still leading the league in CORSI and Fenwick. Maybe it'll actually get us a win a decade from now :sarcasm:

now the gurus will start bringing probability into the fold. i've already seen it on a few other sites.

We've been hearing this for a year here, how the Devils were due to pick it up because Fenwick and CORSI were so good (or conversely how the Leafs would collapse because their Fenwick/CORSI was so bad). I'm tired of winning Fenwick and CORSI, I want to win actual hockey games :rant:

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York

Don't be a smart ass. There are so many players on the Devils playing stellar hockey. They're just "historically" unlucky and they have Martin Brodeur. That's why they have only won 11 out of the last 40 or so games. Don't be sarcastic because you're too blind to see that. Possession + shots on goal, man. They crush it.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Zidlicky was engaged with his man, it was Salvador who was standing there not covering anyone. They may have got their coverages mixed up, but Salvador was still the guy left holding when Monahan scored.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Zidlicky was engaged with his man, it was Salvador who was standing there not covering anyone. They may have got their coverages mixed up, but Salvador was still the guy left holding when Monahan scored.

Salvador got back from the wall in time to cover his spot..
Zidlicky didn't read that. Zidlicky was SUPPOSED to slip back to the right post when Salvador moved back in. Instead he stayed leaving two dmen on the left post and the back door wide open. The back door on that play was Zidlicky's.

Watch it again...as Sal slides in Zidlicky is SUPPOSED to slide over. Zidlicky blew the play and the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->