Post-Game Talk: Devils lose to the Flames (3-2)

njdss4

Mar 7, 2011
Anaheim
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 3m
Brodeur said Devils got "mesmerized" watching Wideman on winning goal and were looking for him to get puck back and didn't watch Monahan.

Mesmerized... by Wideman... :facepalm:

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
theres always McDavid in 2015

League takes away our 2015 1st rounder for intentionally tanking the season. Bettman sees no way why Pete would keep playing terrible players for any other reason

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
There are no "savings".

Unless they're at our Local Bank. :D

Saving Grace, though.....maybe.

My god...the Metro division is pure ass right now.

3 teams are making it out of that ****hole. my guesses are the penguins, caps, and the islanders.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
When half the core of your defense was drafted in a wildly different era of hockey...The cup run was one of the worst things to happen to our organization's sense of reality concerning the basic skills required post-lockout.

I've said it a million times before and I will say it again:

The new version of a stay-at-home defenseman is a guy like Fayne and at best, a guy like Brooks Orpik.

We lose because we can't clear the zone. And that's symptomatic of guys who never needed to develop the skillset to make that one quick move out of the zone.

"What? Supposedly offensive skills like passing and skating can also be used on defense? Really?"

This alone is why I favor playing the young guys instead of the "experienced, reliable" veterans. The positional stuff can be taught - if anyone can teach it, it's someone in this organization.

We rewarded Bryce for the cup run but failed to punish Volchenkov. And that's the problem I have with Lou of late. You cannot have defensemen who have ZERO playmaking skill and ZERO quick passing/puckhandling skill. Playmaking and puckhandling are TWO-WAY attributes that we've shown no respect for.

**** I know I'm rambling.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Volchenkov is still signed at an awful contract two more seasons AFTER this one. Can we hire Glen Sather for a day so he can trick someone into taking him?

njdss4

Mar 7, 2011
Anaheim
Volchenkov is still signed at an awful contract two more seasons AFTER this one. Can we hire Glen Sather for a day so he can trick someone into taking him?

Best we can hope for is for him to get scratched for the rest of the season and bought out in the offseason.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
When half the core of your defense was drafted in a wildly different era of hockey...The cup run was one of the worst things to happen to our organization's sense of reality concerning the basic skills required post-lockout.

The new version of a stay-at-home defenseman is a guy like Fayne and at best, a guy like Brooks Orpik.

We lose because we can't clear the zone. And that's symptomatic of guys who never needed to develop the skillset to make that one quick move out of the zone.

"What? Supposedly offensive skills like passing and skating can also be used on defense? Really?"

This alone is why I favor playing the young guys instead of the "experienced, reliable" veterans. The positional stuff can be taught - if anyone can teach it, it's someone in this organization.

We rewarded Bryce for the cup run but failed to punish Volchenkov. And that's the problem I have with Lou of late. You cannot have defensemen who have ZERO playmaking skill and ZERO quick passing/puckhandling skill. Playmaking and puckhandling are TWO-WAY attributes that we've shown no respect for.

Truth.

DeBoer's mind is still clouded by the run, and he'll bring it up from time to time to justify his line up choices.

Never liked the Salvador deal. They should have let him go, and he could have gotten paid somewhere else.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
I still say we can recover and knock the Isles out of there since they'll do their usual fading thing and be out of the playoff chase by mid-season.

Nonsense. Our first 5 game sample size clearly means we're doomed. And no, my sarcasm does not mean I think everything is fine.

Argentaliano

Jul 15, 2013

What about some d men that are big and hit and are nasty. What about a fourth line that has fighters and hitters. McGratton and Jackman hit everybody and sent Gionta flying. They pounded us. New strategy our fourth line isn't there to score many goals. It's there to change the tempo protect and fight. We are a bunch of panzies besides Clowe. We'll barely lose ten games and won't show any passion or the desire to hit anybody. PD will say we could have one all those games and played great.

School

Jun 13, 2008
I really think Zajac would benefit switching to a smaller stick, I understand it may hurt his defensive game a little bit but it would help his stick handling and would help him when he's in close he seems to get handcuffed all the time

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The last two games, the home commentators both mentioned that they thought Zajac was having a "tremendous game" :laugh:

The last goal was 100% Salvador, Zids was doing a great job covering has man and Sal was too busy admiring the play.

Semak

Zids is the only defenseman on the team who can provide offense. He's fine in his role, as long as he's sheltered.

The Volch-Harrold pair is a disaster

And that's a huge problem. You can't 3 out 6 guys who are unreliable in the Dzone. I mean, they are paid to play D, no? They get away with Zids if Fayne is in and somehow they can get Gelinas in too. And I can live with the growing pains instead of just the pains.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013

You might be rambling but there's a lot of truth here. I'm going to put holes in my walls and lose my deposit if this kind of play continues and I don't find a way to care less about these games.

On that note, if the team keeps playing this way I don't care who the better goalie is this season. I want to see Brodeur play as much as possible before he retires because it doesn't matter who's in net right now. They've both given the team a chance to win every game so far and so far they've been let down every night. If the team's gonna play like this all year I say take the high second round pick and let Cory be number 1 next year.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
My thoughts on this topic have changed I think. I thought we would struggle early on due to lack of chemistry with so much forward turnover and what not. But I haven't really seen that. If anything, the new guys have done a nice job of coming on board and contributing immediately.

What I do see is a lot of guys with no focus in the defensive zone staring at the puck without any regard for defensive assignment. Constant bad decisions through the neutral zone. No poise to close out games. And a coach who refuses to play the best possible players we have at our disposal.

And each of these issues were evident going back to the previous 35 games. This coaching staff seemingly has no answers for fixing any of these issues, which I would now consider long-term definitive trends.

On top of that, consider this. The d-men we are currently playing are literally the exact same we had 2 years ago. Two freaking years ago. Now take into consideration that at the time they were already on the older side, so now those same d-men are two years older. And that their success at the time was more a product of the system rather than raw talent. Now take into consideration that we have a promising group of young d prospects. Why on Earth are we now, two years later, still icing the exact same group of defensemen who are now two years older and slower? Not only that, but one of the few young solid ones that were a part of that group is not playing most nights. I mean it's borderline criminal. Nothing has been done for the last two years to accommodate a youth movement on the backend even though we have the prospects. That is partially on Pete for not playing them now that he has the opportunity, but it's more on Lou. Why did we bring back Sal for three years (and make him captain, another dumb move by Pete)? Why did we not buy out Volch this offseason? Why did we sign Harrold to a one way deal?

This team needs a fresh start from a management standpoint. I liked Pete for most of his time here but he (and his staff it seems) has no answers for a team that has failed to play Devils hockey for 40+ games now. I absolutely admire Lou and everything he has done but his decisions when it comes to contracts and team building have become inconsistent and outdated. I don't think Lou should be fired, but to be honest I would be somewhat relieved if he retired at the end of this season.

Of course this is all contingent on the idea that we replace them with top notch people. Here's hoping because this organization needs to a breath of fresh air.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Also, I've come to realize that the one miraculous thing about the run in 2012 was the fact that we got a big dose of the positive side of Zid without him killing the team in the defensive zone on a nightly basis. At the time I wondered why he'd been a regular healthy scratch in Minnesota. Now it's pretty obvious why that happened.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
We actually did play pretty well tonight, it was special teams that killed us.

After a sloppy start we were fantastic 5-on-5, and Marty was excellent.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/..._the_season_is_long.html#incart_flyout_sports

It doesn't really work for me, but maybe someone finds solace in it.

Not only does it do nothing for me, it actually pisses me off even more. I don't want to hear anymore about how hard they are working. That's ******** they have been going on about for 40+ games going back to last year. Working hard is important, but how about being smart? Sure as **** ain't doing that, especially on D.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We actually did play pretty well tonight, it was special teams that killed us.

After a sloppy start we were fantastic 5-on-5, and Marty was excellent.

I commented after the first kill on how the PK looked a lot better this year so far than that disaster that it's been since the 2012 playoffs. Then we give up 2 PP goals tonight.

I commented on here about how great Marty looked, and also said I was afraid to type that cause he seemed to give up a goal almost every time I complimented him so far.

Then they score on us 10 seconds later (On a goal Marty had no chance):facepalm::facepalm:

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
LOL a 30 game barometer? Sorry Patty but if you need 70+ games (dating back to last year) to realize something has been SERIOUSLY wrong with this coach and the way the team has been playing night in and night out then I don't know what to tell you.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
We had a hot start last year during a shortened schedule (in which early games actually kinda mattered) and still missed the playoffs.

We shouldn't be panicking unless this keeps up at around December/late November. It's still like six games in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad