Post-Game Talk: Devils lose to Canucks in Shootout

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think we need a new system cause the one we're playing now isn't giving us enough finish. Even the goals we've scored lately, I can't remember too many coming off a heavy forechecking shift. At least not at even strength.

And what exactly do you propose? The trap? They don't have the players to execute that. If your shooting percentage stinks it just means you need to get even more shots. You can't really make that change by changing the system. A guys shot is a guys shot regardless of the system you are playing. I honestly can't think of a better way for this team to be playing.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I don't remember the last time Travis Zajac corralled a pass on the rush. I really don't. It's bothering the living hell out of me.

We spend so much time focusing on Lokti, Josefson, Gionta and then there's Zajac. 8 years 46 million. Our "franchise center." A guy who used to be my favorite player for his defensive play way more than his offensive play has now just stopped winning key face-offs and stopped playing defense.

Is he ****ing checked out? Strip his A and get him on track. We aren't going anywhere without him.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't know. We seem to give up a goal every time we have the net empty. I'm thinking more towards going with 4 forwards.

Whatever keeps them from the shootout. A shootout at this point is a guaranteed loss. Pull the goalie, 4 forwards, 4 D, I don't care. Anything is better than going to the shootout.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And what exactly do you propose? The trap? They don't have the players to execute that. If your shooting percentage stinks it just means you need to get even more shots. You can't really make that change by changing the system. A guys shot is a guys shot regardless of the system you are playing. I honestly can't think of a better way for this team to be playing.

That's one thing that I'm at a loss with right now. I'm not sure if the trap would work or not. Many here have said they think it will. I just think this puck possession forechecking system is not working anymore.

That's up to Lou to find a coach that he thinks will work with who we have on this team right now. Who fits the personnel that we have. Admittedly I'm not sure what will, but it's obvious this system doesn't fit with who we now have on this team.

Like I said, that's not Pete's fault. It will likely require a coaching change though. Unless he can find something more suited towards our personnel.

NBC Hockey

Mar 13, 2009
Zajac is still working his ass off and winning puck battles that usually lead to great opportunities. I get it, with that contract, he needs to step up, but people calling him "garbage" and a "steaming pile of dog ****" I mean, it's just baffling to me. The overreactions are real.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Guys, I almost feel bad. The Canucks scratched and scraped their way to the win tonight. It was basically our top guys doing the scoring, and they were admittedly bad goals on Schneider at that, and Luongo holding the team in the game after the 1st period.

I know all you guys want are wins but to give you an outside perspective, the Devils looked pretty solid. I'm especially impressed with Jagr and Elias. They may have an average age of like 40 but they're still so good.

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
Whatever keeps them from the shootout. A shootout at this point is a guaranteed loss. Pull the goalie, 4 forwards, 4 D, I don't care. Anything is better than going to the shootout.

It would have to be only in certain situations. It takes balls to do things like that, but in the long run it has a double benefit - as long as we score more goals than we give up. Plus I think it would put stars in the opponents' eyes with that huge yawning net down the other end, which could open up some space for us.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013

I think we have the personnel to run the 1-2-2 NZ trap here.

High Forwards (Loktionov, Henrique, Josefson, Zajac)
Two Forwards (Elias/Jagr, Clowe/Brunner, Carter/Bernier, Zubrus/Ryder)
And then the D men

It's all positioning. It's all trust. It's all confidence. It's all chemistry.

It's not like we're the Sharks.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
If we had played like this in the first nine games I would be much less concerned about our position right now.

We played a good game in spite of a few specific slugs continuing to blow chunks (coughHenriquecough). But overall I was satisfied with our effort.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Gelinas-Zidlicky manned the point for the first power play, looked great, and they scored. Not sure why Deboer broke that up for the next two power plays. Hopefully he goes back to that next game.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Zajac is still working his ass off and winning puck battles that usually lead to great opportunities. I get it, with that contract, he needs to step up, but people calling him "garbage" and a "steaming pile of dog ****" I mean, it's just baffling to me. The overreactions are real.

We're watching different games. He's not skating hard, he's puck watching, and he's not contributing to "great opportunities."

I saw him fumble at the very least 5 passes in the offensive zone today. I saw sit there and watch like a "passenger" as Cory let up that first goal and then I saw him watch like a passenger as Sedin was in the slot ready to wind up and launch a puck at Cory.

Watch the highlights and watch 19. I will post them when they're up. He was embarrassing today and I was disappointed.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I think in the last 4 years we've scored an extra attacker goal 3 times. I don't remember any in 10-11, but I could be wrong.

In 11-12 we had that one against the Rangers that Clarkson scored, last year we had one against Buffalo from Elias, and this year Elias scored against Edmonton.

I'm thinking 4 forwards might be better. We're bad at scoring with the extra attacker. I remember one year that we seemed to be able to do it whenever we wanted. Think it was with Julien.

Shinkaruk

Jul 13, 2013
Ontario
You guys outplayed us the whole game, totally didn't even deserve the point and we were holding on with our dear lives. Its actually been our 5th game since last Thursday, and because of this game we are down to 9 forwards now. I don't think we should have won, but I am happy both teams got a point. Shootouts really are a stupid way to end the game, anyway, going to miss watching Schneider play vs Canucks, but all the best to your team. :)

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
The mass of differing opinions tells me the answer to our problems can only be found be playing through it and identifying areas of strength and weakness. For instance, we have seen a nice line of Elias-Loki-Jagr. Stick with that and start filling the rest from there.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You guys outplayed us the whole game, totally didn't even deserve the point and we were holding on with our dear lives. Its actually been our 5th game since last Thursday, and because of this game we are down to 9 forwards now. I don't think we should have won, but I am happy both teams got a point. Shootouts really are a stupid way to end the game, anyway, going to miss watching Schneider play vs Canucks, but all the best to your team. :)

Go Canucks!

Thanks and good luck to you!:handclap:

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Henrique has been far more disappointing than Zajac. Literally a non-factor a majority of the time

I agree. As a whole Henrique has been a lot worse. The last 2 or 3 games? Zajac has been just as bad.

Again I've defended Travis this entire season. Gave him a pass the first time he pulled this. Was a little upset the second time. Now? I'm just pissed. I want to know what's wrong.

I expect at least elite defense from Trav and elite positioning and, i don't know, some finish.

I feel like an idiot for defending him like I did.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
So I went down behind the Devs net for warmups just to snap a few photos.

Was about to take a pic of Gelinas when Volchenkov unloads on a slapper. It rips off the crossbar and goes flying up in the air over the black netting. I'm like, wow that's coming right at my face :laugh: It hung in the air for what seemed like forever...reached my hand out and caught it one handed. A bunch of people gave me a cheer which was kinda cool.

Moral of the story? I'd swallow that puck whole for a win right now :laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think it's easy to forget that this was a quality game against a good team. Still frustrating to see this team drop games they should win.

This was also a Vancouver team on the sixth game of a seven-game trip and according to the radio crew they had NINE healthy forwards by the end of the game. Yes we did outplay them but we just cannot afford to let a win slip away with the record as it is already, and the next twelve games upcoming.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The mass of differing opinions tells me the answer to our problems can only be found be playing through it and identifying areas of strength and weakness. For instance, we have seen a nice line of Elias-Loki-Jagr. Stick with that and start filling the rest from there.

But that's just it. Every time we see a glimmer of hope Pete snuffs it out with a stupid personnel decision. I'd be willing to bet when Sal comes back Larsson gets benched. Gelinas will be taken off the PP, Lokti will go to the third line, Olesz will move up to the first, and the 4th line will play 3/4 of the game. It's like he's doing it on purpose. I honestly wonder if he's trying to lose games. You can't identify anything by shuffling everything around every single game. Guys are never going to play well coming off the bench, playing one game, then going back. There needs to be some consistency and continuity. It shouldn't take Pete this long to realize who his best players are.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Zajac's awful. He's got Larsson disease shooting the puck (he'll only fire soft wristers now and he actually HAS a hard shot), and he couldn't even win a couple of key faceoffs late which is supposed to be his last redeeming feature.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Pete said the shootout is "uncoachable"

really, the coaches send the players out there last time I checked.

Fire this clown please

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->