Friedman: Devils interested in Mark Pysyk?

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
We have Subban, Vatanen, Severson, Carrick on the right.. Mueller, Greene, Butcher on the left. I think everyone can easily see which side needs an upgrade. Idk why he would be looking at a RHD that is nowhere near able to take a spot from the ones we have.

Reactions: BHD

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
We have Subban, Vatanen, Severson, Carrick on the right.. Mueller, Greene, Butcher on the left. I think everyone can easily see which side needs an upgrade. Idk why he would be looking at a RHD that is nowhere near able to take a spot from the ones we have.

Doesn't Vatanen often play left side though ?

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Handedness isn’t as important as we think. Good players adapt and play well with other good players. Look at San Jose with Karlsson and Burns.

The fact is our defense has 1 top pairing defenseman and 3 second pairing defenseman. So we are in the market for a top pairing defenseman to complement Subban, which Pysyk is not.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
I liked Pysyk in Buffalo but it seems like he's become the whipping boy for the cats.

He's not the whipping boy. It's more a case that the Panthers know what Pysyk brings, which is more or less a third pairing conservative game. That's fine, really. The team just has younger guys who are pushing him out of a spot at the moment.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I wouldn't mind trading Vatanen for Pysyk + picks to balance out the defense.

Devils could use a solid, defensive RHD to play 3RD. Vatanen's skill set is a bit redundant for the Devils. Doesn't really pair well with Butcher either.

Still doesn't address our biggest issue which is a smooth skating, two-way LD for Subban.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Handedness isn’t as important as we think. Good players adapt and play well with other good players. Look at San Jose with Karlsson and Burns.

The fact is our defense has 1 top pairing defenseman and 3 second pairing defenseman. So we are in the market for a top pairing defenseman to complement Subban, which Pysyk is not.

Using those two as an example of being able to play the offside though is comparing apples to oranges. They're all world players. Most aren't that.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016

How’s that relevant? They don’t even play together.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
I liked Pysyk in Buffalo but it seems like he's become the whipping boy for the cats.
Funny how everyone hated that trade and killed Murray...but they're about to see just how good of a trade it's going to end up being.

Pysyk is on the outs in Florida, while Rasmus Asplund had 41 points in his first North American season last year and just finished a great training camp with the Sabres.

He's going to be excellent in Rochester this year playing top-6 minutes, and quite possibly being the 1st line center.

I never really cared for Pysyk, but for the Devils crowd, I do believe he has played the left side in his career. It's not ideal, but he can do it.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Subban doesn't need a guy To complement him. He proved it time and time again. Bouillon, Emelin, name it, he Will make them look ok

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Has a team ever played 5 RHD at one time?
It happens pretty frequently, but idk when was the last time a team went into the season planning to have a 5:1 ratio.

First example that comes to mind would be the 2008-09 Penguins who went into the season, and won the cup, with 6 of their 7 defensemen being LHD. Gonchar, Orpik, Scuderi, Gill, Eaton, Gologoski plus Whitney (who has traded mid-season) and then Letang was the lone RHD

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014

Yup, a decent bottom pairing d-man. Florida should be pointing fingers at their 7 million dollar number 4 in Ekblad. Seriously the dude is like 6 ft 5 and got punked by 5 ft 9 Domi.

member 290103

This is seriously a thread/rumour worth discussion? LOL.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I wouldn't mind trading Vatanen for Pysyk + picks to balance out the defense.

Devils could use a solid, defensive RHD to play 3RD. Vatanen's skill set is a bit redundant for the Devils. Doesn't really pair well with Butcher either.

Still doesn't address our biggest issue which is a smooth skating, two-way LD for Subban.

I absolutely would mind that. Vats is getting criminally underrated by Devils fans after an injury riddled season. The first year he came over he was playing like a legit top pair guy. He’s still the second best Dman on the team and I hope Shero does resign him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad