Devils goalie dissection thread

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
That last Sharks game convinced me that Cory is done. Maybe he can come back after an offseason and be an okay goaltender, but he is not going to be an Average starter like he was for many years. It's a real shame, I love Cory, but if Shero can unload that contract for literally anything I would love him forever.
Fixed

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Ugh I hope not.

Keith got lit up last time he played back to back, but I didn’t feel like he really looked bad that game. The eye test wasn’t really backing up the way he played on paper that game for me. Cory’s had games like that too. Especially a couple earlier on in the 11 game losing streak.

However, there's a lot behind the scenes stuff we won't ever know. If Kinkaid calls for the game, I guess you give it to him.

My biggest worry is having Cory squander a game in the playoffs (if we make it) and then the pitchforks really coming out. He has two weeks to atleast put a hex on himself into being a solid goalie. You need two goalies to win in the playoffs.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Ugh I hope not.

Keith got lit up last time he played back to back, but I didn’t feel like he really looked bad that game. The eye test wasn’t really backing up the way he played on paper that game for me. Cory’s had games like that too. Especially a couple earlier on in the 11 game losing streak.

You have a crowd that's gonna be amped up and on edge tonight, you can't throw Cory into the middle of that like a buzzkill.

hayen

Apr 7, 2017
I am getting more and more impressed by KK. I looked at that 4:25 mark in the first and the save followed by his movement across the crease. Alert and quick. He's looking really sharp in so many ways.

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
Schneider has got to be way better.

Granted I never wanted him in the first place with the 9th overall

You've got to think if we had kept the pick we would have picked Valeri Nichushkin who did not impress and is playing in the KHL right now or we would have picked a Lou-type player in Bo Horvat. Horvat is having a solid season this year with 20 goals and 20 assists in 57 games.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think the pick would have been Max Domi tbh lol...the only clue we ever got (I think) is that they were going to pick someone who didn't go in the top ten. And given Lou's penchant for trolling us by picking other NHL family names of rivals like Matteau that wouldn't have shocked me.

I'd still rather have had Cory over Domi, or Nickushin (who the board was beside itself wanting to draft).

Reactions: NJDevils17

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
As much as I wanted Corey to start against the Ducks in that back to back, I want KK to start tonight, but it's up to KK to decide how tired he is. However, everyone wants to start every game. He's got to honestly let the coach know how he's feeling.

We'd have to wait to see who starts on Tuesday.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think any goalie is going to turn down the chance to start a life and death stretch run game. In November or December you can be more cautious and have discretion. But now you make the coach pull you out, especially a guy who's never had this opportunity at the NHL level.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I want KK to start tonight, but it's up to KK to decide how tired he is. However, everyone wants to start every game. He's got to honestly let the coach know how he's feeling.

agreed. but, i would bet everything i own that if hynes leaves it up to kinkaid, kinkaid is playing. there is nooo way in hell kinkaid feels too tired to play a hugely important game, the first home game back after a relatively phenomenal road trip. that not how goalies work, you know that.

i’m not worried about kinkaid tonight at all, i think he’s more than earned the benefit of the doubt. i hope hynes gives him a chance

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Here's why I changed my mind and think Keith may very well be capable of being a starter...

Cory played his last game before he got injured on January 23rd vs Boston.

Since Cory went down Kinkaid has gone 13-6 with a .919 SV% and 1 shutout.

This stretch represents 22% of Keith's career. 19 starts of his 87 total over the last 4 years.

19 starts are more starts than he got in 2014-15, 1 less than he got in 2015-16 and 4 less than he got last year.

So this stretch is a significant portion of Keith's career.

My poiny is, this is not a hot streak. A hot streak would indicate something above the past...but the truth is there was no past, Keith was playing 2 games a month for the 3+ years. This is really a first opportunity. A first opportunity to play regularly. Not only to play regularly, but play regularly when the games truly mean something. In fact, you might even say that the last 30 New Jersey Devils games are probably the most meaningful games the organization has played since the 2013 drive for the playoffs.

Kinkaid has come through this and redefined himself. The organization can no longer possibly look at him as an average Joe backup.

Reactions: nugg and hayen

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I thought he had some stretches last year where he was either rotating games with Corey or starting when we were tanking. I dunno. My memory's fuzzy. I think I blocked out last season from my brain.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
What's to discuss? For me, I don't want to see Cory start for the remainder of this season. Will reconsider if we make the playoffs. Then during the off season the management should put their heads together and see if there is a way to dump him. History tends to repeat it self, he has proven that.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
As much as I wanted Corey to start against the Ducks in that back to back, I want KK to start tonight, but it's up to KK to decide how tired he is. However, everyone wants to start every game. He's got to honestly let the coach know how he's feeling.

Data proves that you split the goalies in back to backs.

No question you go with Cory on Lack tonight.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

Normally I'd agree, but I'm putting in a vote of no-confidence in Corey. I feel like we have a better chance with KK back to back against the bolts.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I thought he had some stretches last year where he was either rotating games with Corey or starting when we were tanking. I dunno. My memory's fuzzy. I think I blocked out last season from my brain.
Keith got 23 starts last year.
1 in October
4 in November
5 in December
4 in January
1 in February
7 in March
2 in April

In those 7 games in March he went 1-5-1 with a .922 Sv%

From March until the end of the year he went 2-6-2 with a .923 SV%

hayen

Apr 7, 2017

I would agree but since the next game isnt until after 3 (I believe) of rest, I'd give it to KK if he takes it. He can go out and leave it all on the ice and I think he is sharp and has enough gas to do it.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Normally I'd agree, but I'm putting in a vote of no-confidence in Corey. I feel like we have a better chance with KK back to back against the bolts.

It didn't work in Anaheim

We can't run Kink into the ground, 8 more games after tonight, all important as is tonight but back to back you want a fresh goalie.

Kink was very busy last night.

hayen

Apr 7, 2017
Keith got 23 starts last year.
1 in October
4 in November
5 in December
4 in January
1 in February
7 in March
2 in April

In those 7 games in March he went 1-5-1 with a .922 Sv%
He and the team have seemed to figure out how to win with him on the ice this year. That is a huge difference.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
kinkaid is a mediocre backup

kinkaid is a great starter

both those statements are true this season

crazy

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Where does slumping Devils goalie Cory Schneider go from here?

Hynes seems a lot more patient and even hopeful then anyone on here.

"He's a very good player, he cares, he's got a lot of talent," Hynes said. "He's obviously not happy with his game, and we'd like to see it a little bit better. But how do you fix that? It's like everything. I think to come to grips with it -- here's what's good about his game. It's not all bad. Sometimes it's like when you win or you lose or you struggle, it's not as bad as you think it is. Sometimes when you're doing really well, it's not as good as you think it is. It's somewhere in the middle.
"I don't think he's far off, so we'll continue to work with him, try to help him mentally, try to help him with his technique. When you have a guy like him that cares the way that he does and works the way that he does, he'll work his way through it. Our job is to support him through it and help him get better."
He seems more patient because KK is carrying the load.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad