Devils goalie dissection thread

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'd like to take it game by game.

I think I'd sooner give Cory the Carolina game if we won against Tampa, because the situation then becomes a little less dire. Especially if Arizona can take care of Florida for us tomorrow.

I feel tonight's 1st period was either as bad or worse than the 1st period against the Sharks, but the difference was Keith held it to 1-0 and allowed a goal he really didn't have a chance on, while Cory allowed two pretty stoppable goals and one he didn't have a chance on, which led to 3 goals against already by the end of the 1st period.

That is why I am more keen on giving Keith tomorrow’s game. Then play it by ear for Tuesday.

I do want to find a situation where we are in good enough shape to give Cory one more game to see if maybe he can find a little mojo. Would feel a lot better with both goalies on the up swing and not just one.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
If Kinkaid were to start tomorrow AND win - I dont see how he doesn't start the last seven. If you manage to beat Nashville, LA, Vegas, Pittsburgh, and Tampa all in two weeks... you deserve to start the rest of the way

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If Kinkaid were to start tomorrow AND win - I dont see how he doesn't start the last seven. If you manage to beat Nashville, LA, Vegas, Pittsburgh, and Tampa all in two weeks... you deserve to start the rest of the way

Well eventually if Keith wins enough you're going to have the cushion you need to get Cory in a game or two. Not that I really think winning a couple of meaningless games is gonna help Cory the minute things get tight in a big spot again but it would be nice to stop that 0-11 three goals allowed in every game skid.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Well eventually if Keith wins enough you're going to have the cushion you need to get Cory in a game or two. Not that I really think winning a couple of meaningless games is gonna help Cory the minute things get tight in a big spot again but it would be nice to stop that 0-11 three goals allowed in every game skid.
In a playoff race I could care less about Schneider! If he isnt starting then it can wait until we actually clinch a spot.

Now, if we win tomorrow AND Florida loses... okay, Id be okay with starting him the next game. But Id be hesitant, thats for sure because it could easily turn into Schneider losing AND Florida winning and then were back to square one

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
In a playoff race I could care less about Schneider! If he isnt starting then it can wait until we actually clinch a spot.

Now, if we win tomorrow AND Florida loses... okay, Id be okay with starting him the next game. But Id be hesitant, thats for sure because it could easily turn into Schneider losing AND Florida winning and then were back to square one

No I mean Cory shouldn't play again till they clinch or are basically nine points up with five to go but it would be nice to be able to play him to get Keith some rest down the stretch for the playoffs.

Reactions: Actuarial

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
No I mean Cory shouldn't play again till they clinch or are basically nine points up with five to go but it would be nice to be able to play him to get Keith some rest down the stretch for the playoffs.
Fair enough I misunderstood - Schneider cant be feeling good right now

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I would rather him get a couple of meaningless wins going into the playoffs over not in case we need to make the goalie switch.

Not sure it will help much, but sitting the rest of the way even if we are a sure thing by that point definitely won’t.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
That backhand off the post sequence against the Sharks tells me all I need to know about Cory, he's not tracking the puck well at all, completely unaware, he's really fighting it.

What are the odds we get out of the first period down just one against the Pens with Cory in there.

Last edited:

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't marty get his career started after he took over an injured chris terreri in '93-'94?

perhaps kinkaid CAN take the next step in his career, with schneider's current down season. not saying he's anything like marty at all LOL but the circumstances are interesting/have been interesting

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't marty get his career started after he took over an injured chris terreri in '93-'94?

perhaps kinkaid CAN take the next step in his career, with schneider's current down season. not saying he's anything like marty at all LOL but the circumstances are interesting/have been interesting

Totally the same expect for one tiny detail.

Marty came in and won the Calder. Keith wouldn’t win any award at any age.

Keith can’t even lace up Marty’s skates. Neither can Cory, but that isn’t here or there.

Marty was a talent and they all knew he was the heir apparent and it was just a matter of when. Keith’s situation isn’t remotely similar.

Last edited:
Reactions: liquid1988

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
That last Sharks game convinced me that Cory is done. Maybe he can come back after an offseason and be an okay goaltender, but he is not going to be a great starter like he was for many years. It's a real shame, I love Cory, but if Shero can unload that contract for literally anything I would love him forever.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That last Sharks game convinced me that Cory is done. Maybe he can come back after an offseason and be an okay goaltender, but he is not going to be a great starter like he was for many years. It's a real shame, I love Cory, but if Shero can unload that contract for literally anything I would love him forever.

How so? How does the Sharks game prove that?

Did you see some clear physical impairment due to an injury? Him being mentally out of sorts right now doesn’t prove that at all

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
How so? How does the Sharks game prove that?

Did you see some clear physical impairment due to an injury? Him being mentally out of sorts right now doesn’t prove that at all

He has zero mobility at all, causing him to be out of position constantly. I think he's in worse physical condition than most of us believe.

Didn't he have surgery this past offseason? Or am I not remembering that correctly? If he did what was the operation?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He has zero mobility at all, causing him to be out of position constantly. I think he's in worse physical condition than most of us believe.

Didn't he have surgery this past offseason? Or am I not remembering that correctly? If he did what was the operation?

That San Jose game was 100% mental. You could see he was second guessing every decision he was making.

He was shrinking into net due to a complete lack of confidense. It is a mess to watch, but it is also completely fixable, though it most likely will take the offseason for him to get his head straight. Not enough time left for it to happen now.

He looked physically very strong in his first game back against Florida, but he wilted when the one fluke goal bounced over his shoulder. It is clearly mental.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
That San Jose game was 100% mental. You could see he was second guessing every decision he was making.

He was shrinking into net due to a complete lack of confidense. It is a mess to watch, but it is also completely fixable, though it most likely will take the offseason for him to get his head straight. Not enough time left for it to happen now.
isn't his "new" playstyle playing conservatively in the net though? that's what he said rolly is teaching him

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
It wasn’t how he was playing when he was having success in the first half. He was never this hesitant.

I wouldn't disagree it's mental, but I think he could be hesitant because of injury as well.

You watch highlights of him from two years ago before that first hip/groin injury and he was completely different. We haven't seen him move like that at all

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I wouldn't disagree it's mental, but I think he could be hesitant because of injury as well.

You watch highlights of him from two years ago before that first hip/groin injury and he was completely different. We haven't seen him move like that at all

I see a positional goalie who doesn’t trust his positioning. That is Cory right now to my eyes.

He isn’t playing his game, he is second guessing every move and trying to do things he really shouldn’t be doing.

You see this happen to pitchers in baseball, or even with hitters and their swing. They hit a rut and they start to over complicate things and move away from what was working all along.

I do remember a point very very early in the San Jose game where they came out with two three shots at the whistle. He looked at the big board and took a huge breath and I just thought “he is looking at the clock and over thinking it”

Last edited:
Reactions: Nubmer6

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Where does slumping Devils goalie Cory Schneider go from here?

Hynes seems a lot more patient and even hopeful then anyone on here.

"He's a very good player, he cares, he's got a lot of talent," Hynes said. "He's obviously not happy with his game, and we'd like to see it a little bit better. But how do you fix that? It's like everything. I think to come to grips with it -- here's what's good about his game. It's not all bad. Sometimes it's like when you win or you lose or you struggle, it's not as bad as you think it is. Sometimes when you're doing really well, it's not as good as you think it is. It's somewhere in the middle.
"I don't think he's far off, so we'll continue to work with him, try to help him mentally, try to help him with his technique. When you have a guy like him that cares the way that he does and works the way that he does, he'll work his way through it. Our job is to support him through it and help him get better."

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That backhand off the post sequence against the Sharks tells me all I need to know about Cory, he's not tracking the puck well at all, completely unaware, he's really fighting it.

What are the odds we get out of the first period down just one against the Pens with Cory in there.
Usually I don't like to play the ''Well if he starts tonight, we would have lost this game!'' or vice versa, just because any goalie can win any given game or lose any given game. It's possible Cory played and allowed 3-4 goals in the 1st period, or even stopped at least one of the 3rd period goals and we win in regulation. Not that I fault Keith on those goals, but Cory could have gotten lucky and had those shots hit him or somehow picked up the second goal through the screen before it was cruising by him. Or maybe saw through Lovejoy somehow.

But honestly, Cory has looked atrocious every game since that Florida game. He's gotten progressively worse every game and after what I saw last game, if he played anywhere near that bad, it could have been 3-0, maybe 4-0 after the 1st period. Just assuming that he plays as bad as he did the last 3 games that he's played. The Florida game was his best, until that stinker went in very late.

Before one of the goals, was it Nico's or Coleman's? A shot went through Keith, but he was positioned well enough at an angle where the puck leaked towards the boards and not towards the goaline and crease. I feel like with how Cory's played, that would have leaked through his 5-hole and dribbled over the goalline painfully slow or maybe even went right through his legs long before he even closed them down like the goal that got him yanked the other night.

Reactions: theoptimist

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Start Cory tonight.
Ugh I hope not.

Keith got lit up last time he played back to back, but I didn’t feel like he really looked bad that game. The eye test wasn’t really backing up the way he played on paper that game for me. Cory’s had games like that too. Especially a couple earlier on in the 11 game losing streak.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013

I still think his injury is nagging him. He just moves differently, and is slower.... factor in his overall weakness of letting in 2 weak goals per game and he looks horrible. Confidence is also shot for him.

Reactions: JK3

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Totally the same expect for one tiny detail.

Marty came in and won the Calder. Keith wouldn’t win any award at any age.

Keith can’t even lace up Marty’s skates. Neither can Cory, but that isn’t here or there.

Marty was a talent and they all knew he was the heir apparent and it was just a matter of when. Keith’s situation isn’t remotely similar.

While you can't compare really anyone to brodeur and have brodeur lose that argument, kk and brodeur do share other similarities.
1. The hybrid play.
2. The little "ticks" during the game (ie head shakes, shake the glove or blocker off)
3. The play of the puck (obvs brodeur is the best, but kk does his best and is pretty good at puck handling)
4. Due to their playing styles, they both angle their rebounds similar.

Kk won't turn into Marty, no current nhl goalie will, but I do think he becomes a solid starter.

Reactions: nugg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->