Devils goalie dissection thread

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You mean the bar down perfect shot goal? Schneider was where he should’ve been and had the majority of the goal covered. That’s not a bad goal, that’s a perfect shot.
My thought was he didn't see the shot either. Otherwise, bar down or not, from that distance he needs to make the save.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
i'd start kinkaid in game 5. that's not a condemnation of cory's play last night, but i think kinkaid gives us a better chance at a win

one goalie has given up 9 goals in < 5 periods
one goalie has given up 4 goals in 7+ periods

yeah that totally makes sense

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If we go strictly by this series then of coarse not. But obviously people are taking the 2nd half of the season into account.

Kinkaid having a hot finish to the season 3-4 weeks ago shouldn't have any affect on the goalie choice in a short series. Schneider has been better. He should be playing.

Goaltending is not the reason we lost last night.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
it must be wonderfully simple to go through life without needing any context. i'm low key jealous as the kids would say

OK fine, I will go by the "wins" narrative that you (and others) love

Schneider 1-1
Kinkaid 0-2

hmmm.

I don't see any metric by which Kinkaid should be the starter.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Kinkaid having a hot finish to the season 3-4 weeks ago shouldn't have any affect on the goalie choice in a short series. Schneider has been better. He should be playing.

Goaltending is not the reason we lost last night.
And it wasn't the reason we lost game 1 or 2.

But I agree Schneid's should start.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
OK fine, I will go by the "wins" narrative that you (and others) love

Schneider 1-1
Kinkaid 0-2

hmmm.

I don't see any metric by which Kinkaid should be the starter.

i'll take it a step further...in their last starts:

kinkaid: 0-1
schneider: 0-1

somebody get eddie lack in there, stat

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
What context would make it clearer to you that Schneider is the better option right now?

well, you'd have to watch the games and judge the goals that went in against kinkaid to see whether kinkaid turned into absolute trash or whether this is a brutal team to match up with (especially in away games) and it really exposed our shitty defense. i can't watch the games for you or zbc or anyone else

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
well, you'd have to watch the games and judge the goals that went in against kinkaid to see whether kinkaid turned into absolute trash or whether this is a brutal team to match up with (especially in away games) and it really exposed our ****ty defense. i can't watch the games for you or zbc or anyone else

But Schneider has been better. Kinkaid wasn’t at fault either for the most part but Schneider is not the reason why we are in this position and going back to Kinkaid makes no sense.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
But Schneider has been better. Kinkaid wasn’t at fault either for the most part but Schneider is not the reason why we are in this position and going back to Kinkaid makes no sense.

schneider has been good, yes. he still doesn't look 100% to me health-wise, but that's not really the issue. but i don't need to tell you kinkaid's record down the stretch, when we absolutely needed wins to extend our season. i just don't have that confidence in schneider to play out of his mind when our backs are against the wall. i understand that's somewhat subjective, but you know. its a message board.

to be honest i don't see either goalie stealing the game for us in game 5. and i certainly don't see us coming back to win the series. but kinkaid gives us the best chance in my opinion.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
schneider has been good, yes. he still doesn't look 100% to me health-wise, but that's not really the issue. but i don't need to tell you kinkaid's record down the stretch, when we absolutely needed wins to extend our season. i just don't have that confidence in schneider to play out of his mind when our backs are against the wall. i understand that's somewhat subjective, but you know. its a message board.

to be honest i don't see either goalie stealing the game for us in game 5. and i certainly don't see us coming back to win the series. but kinkaid gives us the best chance in my opinion.

Fair enough

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Save percentage of .951 against one of the, if not the most, offensively dangerous teams in the league.

"Yeah but I'd still start the career backup because he beat a lot of non-playoff teams a month ago."

If it weren't for my skull my eyes would have rolled so hard they'd have launched into space.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Save percentage of .951 against one of the, if not the most, offensively dangerous teams in the league.

"Yeah but I'd still start the career backup because he beat a lot of non-playoff teams a month ago."

If it weren't for my skull my eyes would have rolled so hard they'd have launched into space.

It's hilarious how many people seem to have a grudge against Cory for struggling after coming back from injury.

He's been excellent in the playoffs. He kept us in the game. Both goals were snipes from the low slot, due to awful defense.

Kinkaid is just not as good as Schneider.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
i'd start kinkaid in game 5. that's not a condemnation of cory's play last night, but i think kinkaid gives us a better chance at a win

I would have pulled Cory after the first period but since they didn’t and he settled down pretty much gotta go down with the ship now.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

That’s not fair and a complete oversimplification. Vegas, Toronto, Tampa, Nashville, LA, Pittsburgh and Philly are not playoff teams?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
it must be wonderfully simple to go through life without needing any context. i'm low key jealous as the kids would say
I mean if you want full context, like beyond the past few months, then that makes it even more clear who should be playing. The career above average starter, not the career backup. Kinkaid had a hot stretch and we're only here because of him. Cory was horrific before, but he now looks like his old self.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

there's a lot of wrong info to unpack here, but i'm going to pass on it

It's hilarious how many people seem to have a grudge against Cory for struggling after coming back from injury.

He's been excellent in the playoffs. He kept us in the game. Both goals were snipes from the low slot, due to awful defense.

Kinkaid is just not as good as Schneider.

due to the passive aggressiveness of your post, i don't know if that was directed at me. if it was, and you think i have a grudge against schneider, or that i think kinkaid is the better goalie, i don't see the point in trying to change your mind.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I mean if you want full context, like beyond the past few months, then that makes it even more clear who should be playing. The career above average starter, not the career backup. Kinkaid had a hot stretch and we're only here because of him. Cory was horrific before, but he now looks like his old self.

surely there's a middle ground for context between what schneider and kinkaid did three years ago and the sample size of the last 4 games? i dont think there's anything wrong with using the last few months for contexts and trend spotting, even if that does seem self serving to fit my narrative

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I’ve been a very vocal critic of Cory lately, but he’s been very good this series.

It’s starting to remind me of his 2012 series against the Kings where he also didn’t start until game 3. Played well enough to win every game, but went 1-2 instead.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
there's a lot of wrong info to unpack here, but i'm going to pass on it

due to the passive aggressiveness of your post, i don't know if that was directed at me. if it was, and you think i have a grudge against schneider, or that i think kinkaid is the better goalie, i don't see the point in trying to change your mind.

Was I quoting you?

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Screen_Shot_2018_04_19_at_4_09_00_PM.png

well gee who shud play on saterday lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->