Devils goalie dissection thread

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think it's both physical and mental for him. Some time away to rest up and get healthy (both mentally and physically) would probably do him good. Hopefully Kinkaid stays hot and we don't have to throw Cory in to a playoff game. If he would shit the bed in that situation he may never be right again mentally.

Reactions: Maine Fan

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Same,way I didn't hold the jmac year against players, i am not burying guys for last season. We were collectively terrible.

Cory was good to start this season. Something happened at new years, no idea what, and he just hasn't been able to recover.

He has never looked this unsure of himself at any point in his career

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I have never been a big fan of Schnierder. I felt like management bamboozled their fans at the draft. They even admitted that they made the deal earlier but kept it a secret till the draft party. Here is the guy who is going to replaced a legend. Instead of having the 10th pick overall and having a farm system do its job. (Has nothing to do with him as a player or stats)

On the flipside, I have always been a fan of Kinkaid. Local kid who was a fan of Broduer, worked his butt off. Played well at Union and earned a contract with the Devils. Pay his dues in AHL and as a backup. Even before this run he has had some remarkable games. The first that comes to mind is the Islander where he faced 45 shots, kept the Devils in the game. They lost 3-2 in OT.

Some guys are better starters then backups. Its a hard thankless job. because thier window of opportunity is short. You get 1-2 bad games and you can be out of the NHL. You do really well but the other guy is the “Starter” with a long term deal. Then the team drafts the goalie of the future. You sit for 40 minuets and then are asked to come into a game were the other guy got sheld and the team sucks.You haven’t started in 3 weeks, you can start againts the number 1 team in the east on the second day of back to backs, when the team is on the tail end of 3 games in 4 nights. Its hard to compare stats when you add in all of the intangibles. A mediocre AHL goalie can be great in the NHL because of the quality of thier teammates.

Also the team as a whole played well in October -December. Most of Gibbon’s, Bratt’s, Byole’s points came in that time. The team still covered Schneiders misques. The Devils were averaging over 3 goals a game.

As of today Kinkaid is the better starter, but does that mean he is a “starter”? Who gives a farticicle, play the hot hand..

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Kind of disingenuous to say the team bailed Cory out early but not Keith.

We have been scoring our way out of trouble all year.

Each goalie had about a handful of games where they had to do it all because we weren’t scoring. Rest of the time we almost always needed 3 goals. Lack also had one game we needed the goalie to steal.

Team is still too loose defensively and it is going to be hard to find a goalie who gives us a full season of consistent work until that is addressed.

I mean try to think of a night where we gave any goalie an easy one? Pretty much never happens.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's going to be close to a calendar year before Cory wins his next regular season game.

December 27th 2017 to at the earliest October xx 2018.

He should have to give a year of his salary back.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Losses aren’t as much of s problem as his actual play in this 12 game losing streak.

He didn’t allow fewer than 3 goals in any of them, never had a particularly good game in this stretch even if he had a couple of okay games. These weren’t hard luck 2-1 or 1-0 losses, which he suffered enough of back when he was still good in 2013-2016.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I figure at the earliest it's going to be 285 days but if he's the backup and should be, it could be 300+ without a win.

Keith didn't start his first game until October 14th this year. So if Cory doesn't start until then, his first opportunity to win a game will be on the 292nd day since his last win.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It's going to be close to a calendar year before Cory wins his next regular season game.

December 27th 2017 to at the earliest October xx 2018.

He should have to give a year of his salary back.

I get that this is your thing, but could you please give it a rest already? He's been bad. We f***ing get it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This is a perfect example of someone reveling in hating on a player though, and where the ripping goes over the line. We're in the playoffs and Cory's safely on the bench. Continuing to mock him right now and get jollies from posting the number of days without a win is just taking potshots for the sake of taking potshots at this point.

Look I'm down on Cory too but this is getting into trolling territory now. At least before when we were in peril the excuse was Cory put us there but now it's over, done with. Let it go already.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
I don’t care about his lack of wins, as much as how he’s accumulated this 12 game losing streak. He’s racked up this 12 game losing streak from having arguably the worst 12 game stretch of puckstopping that most of us have witnessed as fans of the NJD. Even Hedberg had a couple of 2 goal against games while Marty was injured and he was spotting the opposition with goals left and right. If Schneids had lost some of these games while allowing 2 goals then it would be a lot easier to feel sorry for him, but he was a sieve in almost all of those 12 games. Last night the team battled back from two down and he gives them the lead right back with the short side goal from Ovechkin and then it’s game over. He was a phenomenal goalie for us from 2013-Spring 2016, but he’s really been an impediment the last two years. It didn’t hurt in 16-17 because it was a bad team, but we are a decent team this year.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just to throw a little bone at Cory, since I don't have much good to say about him right now

He did allow only 1 goal in a 2-1 (maybe 3-1 with an empty net goal?) win over the Panthers back in November, which was one of his better games of the season. That was a pretty crucial point that we really needed in the end. I know he cost us a couple others, but because of who it was against, I'd say that was a pretty big deal.

Reactions: GameSeven

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Just to throw a little bone at Cory, since I don't have much good to say about him right now

He did allow only 1 goal in a 2-1 (maybe 3-1 with an empty net goal?) win over the Panthers back in November, which was one of his better games of the season. That was a pretty crucial point that we really needed in the end. I know he cost us a couple others, but because of who it was against, I'd say that was a pretty big deal.

See! Cory alone ensured we'd get to the playoffs....

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
How about closing this thread til next year?

There are other dead horses to beat.

BG I absolutely agree it is time to get into playoff mode. The haters and questionable dislikers of Schneider are not going to convince the fans that don't think Schneider is that bad to change. This thread is getting old if not old already. Beating the same horse proves nothing.

Kinkaid, like it or not is the starter in the playoffs.

Devils are starting round one tomorrow let's get positive.

BTW I have beaten on Schneider and have been strong for Kinkaid since mid February. He won the job so I am moving on to our first playoff round in a long time.

Good luck Devils. Thanks for the regular season now lets start the second season.

Go Devils

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
3F045C49-FAF1-45F3-A7E4-7E6A0610E957.jpeg

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
maybe this is more of an after-season discussion, but what the f*** is gonna happen with the goaltending situation for next season? because i sure as hell dont feel comfortable with the duo right now in the long run. but i just dont see any way they don't come back with the same thing.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
maybe this is more of an after-season discussion, but what the **** is gonna happen with the goaltending situation for next season? because i sure as hell dont feel comfortable with the duo right now in the long run. but i just dont see any way they don't come back with the same thing.

It's going to be Cory-Kinkaid again, no question. Cory's leash will be much shorter.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out since Kinkaid has only next year remaining on his deal. If he has a hot streak again like this season, forces Shero to make a tough decision.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
maybe this is more of an after-season discussion, but what the **** is gonna happen with the goaltending situation for next season? because i sure as hell dont feel comfortable with the duo right now in the long run. but i just dont see any way they don't come back with the same thing.
Didn’t you know that Cory is going to start game 3 and proceed to go 16-3 in the playoffs?

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
It's going to be Cory-Kinkaid again, no question. Cory's leash will be much shorter.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out since Kinkaid has only next year remaining on his deal. If he has a hot streak again like this season, forces Shero to make a tough decision.

Yeah, i think you're right. i cringe at that. because if kinkaid regresses and schneider keeps being dog shit (which I think there is a good chance of both), yikes. nothing coming up in the system either.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Yeah, i think you're right. i cringe at that. because if kinkaid regresses and schneider keeps being dog **** (which I think there is a good chance of both), yikes. nothing coming up in the system either.

In that scenario, the most hopeful thought would be Blackwood's stats this year being an anomaly. Binghamton sucked this year so hopefully that's the case, but yeah, let's just hope Cory returns to form somehow or Kinkaid has permanently turned a corner.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
they might bring Senn over here next year too. wonder how that works out in terms of everyone's placement
Gilles Senn, No. 129
Goaltender, 6-foot-5, 191 pounds
2017-18: 2.92 goals against average, .905 save percentage for HC Davos (Swiss league)
Fitzgerald's take: I saw him play this past fall for the men’s team. Big kid. From all reports, Scott Clemmensen has been over a couple times to work with him over there. Pretty good athlete. He’s a kid we would love to sign, but we’ll have to figure out what’s best for his development.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
In that scenario, the most hopeful thought would be Blackwood's stats this year being an anomaly. Binghamton sucked this year so hopefully that's the case, but yeah, let's just hope Cory returns to form somehow or Kinkaid has permanently turned a corner.

Cory will rebound a bit, but kk has clearly made a step to the next level. I think with more work next year he will get better, and limit any "cold snaps" to a few games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad