Devils goalie dissection thread

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The small sample size just shows lack of playoff experience and how far removed Schneider is from his single post-season victory.

To say that he's been there before is an advantage over Kinkaid is a weak argument. Not saying you or anyone else here is suggesting that.

Have seen some say Schneider should start in the playoffs if he plays well today or gets a shutout today due to his career regular season resume over Kinkaid's fewer career starts or Schneider should start the game three if we lose the first two without context. Not buying that one.
I wouldn't start him in the playoffs no matter what he does today. I'd consider it if Keith blows up after 2 games, but that's it.

hayen

Apr 7, 2017
Win or lose doesn’t matter so much to me, but it would be nice for confidence reasons for him to get a win. If he allows 3-4 goals again (unless we allow a zillion shots) then I don’t wanna hear it about how it’s Ovechkin and there’s no such thing as a stoppable goal allowed to him or that Vatanen was out and the defense is bad or Bratt got coned again or whatever. I somehow have a feeling there won’t be too many people defending him anyway, as most have turned their back on him. I was one of his last defenders here and even I jumped ship after that game where he murdered us early against Pete and the Sharks. Our last regulation loss to date.
We need Cory just as all teams have needed their backup. Backup's become #1's as we've seen with this team as our backup shifted to #1 for this season at the least.
Cory needs to show something and he knows it. I would have rather have gone with KK tonight to keep him in form but we may need Cory. Show us what you got money man.

Reactions: Bleedred

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If you were going to play Keith then you had to play everyone else. Playing Keith with this lineup would be counterproductive, you don't risk having him give up 5+ goals and get out of sync. Cannon fodder games are what backups are here for.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cory needs to give us a big game for a multitude of reasons.For psyche and morale reasons, confidence reasons, getting that 3 goal against monkey off his back and because Brian Elliott just passed him in save percentage on the season.:help:

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Cory needs to give us a big game for a multitude of reasons.For psyche and morale reasons, confidence reasons, getting that 3 goal against monkey off his back and because Brian Elliott just passed him in save percentage on the season.:help:
You know me and sv%, I couldn't care less whose better then who. He needs this solely for confidence reasons.. say they lose, he won't have another chance to start untill next season..... that's many months sitting on a winless last game and winless 2018. It would drive any goalie insane

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Keith was overdue for a day off. Playing Cory today was the right choice.

Also Cory needs some work in case Keith has troubles and we need to switch goalies.

hayen

Apr 7, 2017
starting Schneider tonight is the right choice

not sure if we will be able to score any goals for him with this lineup though, but we shall see
This is why I said I would like KK to continue but agree with getting Cory in net. He is still an important part of the team and may become a hero. He can do it

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
This is why I said I would like KK to continue but agree with getting Cory in net. He is still an important part of the team and may become a hero. He can do it
May become a hero? Wouldn't hold your breath on that one

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Rather absurd comment. Keith’s rise was even more unlikely and it still happened.
Why, you could see signs of a good goalie since he came up (if you knew what to look for and didn't go by just stats)... had 1 last issue to work on, and after Christmas that seemed to be on the rebound. For me this run was not much of a surprise, always knew kk had the greater upside.... just very few shared my view.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
yeah, I have found that the Kinkaid "fanboys" (I hate that word, but you know what I am talking about) seemingly take pride in seeing Schneider struggle, which makes no sense to me
There are still people almost giddy waiting for kk to collapse and struggle so they're right...
Not wishing him to struggle, I am a fan of the team afterall. Whoever is in net I want to succeed.

hayen

Apr 7, 2017
May become a hero? Wouldn't hold your breath on that one
He doesnt need to take over the #1 roll. It could be a play or a stop anywhere along the way because he needs to step in. The Devils need him to get his sh*t together. Glad they are in the playoffs but I would like to extend it as long as possible and he made be needed and I want to see him succeed for the team.

hayen

Apr 7, 2017
I wouldn't start him in the playoffs no matter what he does today. I'd consider it if Keith blows up after 2 games, but that's it.
Agree completely. KK is the starter and maybe after 2 blowups but still not convinced at this point.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I mean, for a backup goalie that had to take over as a starter, he’s had a great overall season, but when compared to someone like Rinne this year or guys challenging for the Vezina, I can’t really say he’s been as good as them.

And I’ve given him plenty of credit the last couple pages.

no one is saying he is a vezina candidate. but the fact he didn't play like one throughout the year does not mean he had anything less than a great year.

he saved the season. if cory was our starter throughout the year, we don't make the playoffs. simple as that.

for a writer to say that cory had 3 great months and kinkaid 2 is totally misleading and simplistic. the narrative is kinkaid was a below average backup and a vezina worthy starter. he had a great year. for anyone to say otherwise at this point is sour grapes.

Reactions: Aethon

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
no one is saying he is a vezina candidate. but the fact he didn't play like one throughout the year does not mean he had anything less than a great year.

he saved the season. if cory was our starter throughout the year, we don't make the playoffs. simple as that.

for a writer to say that cory had 3 great months and kinkaid 2 is totally misleading and simplistic. the narrative is kinkaid was a below average backup and a vezina worthy starter. he had a great year. for anyone to say otherwise at this point is sour grapes.
It's not misleading, it is simply untrue.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
It's not misleading, it is simply untrue.

exactly. Its funny to see this Schneider favoritism within AATJ authors. It's very similar to the past few years and Blueshirt Banter's Lundqvist protectionism. Something about their demeanor and style of play that always makes them out to be the victim while giving advanced stat nerds the justification in their search for the most Pure stat. I just hope it doesn't cost us a potential starter with a much favorable contract and better results like it did the Rangers.

There really is no excusing Schneider's play the past 2 seasons especially giving his contract. The fact that his undrafted backup is triumphing while he can't find his game is very indicative of the goaltending position league-wide.

No reason to ever give a Lundqvist, Schneider, or Neimi contract ever again. Or at least until there is more parity within the goaltending position.

Reactions: Aethon

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
exactly. Its funny to see this Schneider favoritism within AATJ authors. It's very similar to the past few years and Blueshirt Banter's Lundqvist protectionism. Something about their demeanor and style of play that always makes them out to be the victim while giving advanced stat nerds the justification in their search for the most Pure stat. I just hope it doesn't cost us a potential starter with a much favorable contract and better results like it did the Rangers.

There really is no excusing Schneider's play the past 2 seasons especially giving his contract. The fact that his undrafted backup is triumphing while he can't find his game is very indicative of the goaltending position league-wide.

No reason to ever give a Lundqvist, Schneider, or Neimi contract ever again. Or at least until there is more parity within the goaltending position.
They are all better then a dipeietro contract (still think isles pay him another year or 2)

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm done defending him.

Two poor years. This is like Marty earlier in the decade, only he was ancient and he didn't have two consecutive bad years like this until he was 38 and 39.

And those .905% seasons in the late 90's and early 00's were unlike those kinda of seasons in the early 10's. That was above league average back then.

We can hope he bounces back, but I think we need to prepare for the worst.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Schneider the last two seasons has a 2.86 GAA and .908 sv%. Even including 15-16 when he was fantastic, it's 2.60 GAA and .913 sv% over three seasons. Guy just hasn't been good enough to be the franchise starter here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad