Devils goalie dissection thread

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
If Pittsburgh had lost and home ice in the first round was still possible I may have gone back to Kinkaid again, but I don't think it's worth risking something happening to him now. Plus Washington probably isn't going to be that invested in the game, so it might be a good chance to get Cory a win.

Agreed. Though, I am scared of watching Cory’s voodoo affect the team.

I think kinkaid’s puck handling skills are a very tiny reason why we do better on offensive transitions.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Ok, you guys know I have not been in Cory's camp from the get-go, and I've had no troubles pointing out holes in his game.

That said, I think this is unfair. Both Cory and Kincaid's confidence we're shot in January because of terrible team defense in front of them. Injury hampered Cory s chance to recover, and Keith righted the ship. That's all.

Keith was good in January.

Keith was still very much the backup to start January. Cory got hurt January 23rd, he started 5 games in that month going 0-4-1 with .870.

On January 2nd Kinkaid made is 10th start of the season. 10th start in 3 months. To that point, including the shootout loss on 1/02/18 game Keith was 5-3-2 with a .890 SV% playing 3 games a month. Keith played 4 games in October, 3 games in November, 2 games December.

Starting January, Keith went almost a month without a start. Keith went December 9th to January 2nd without a start.

In January Keith played his most games in one month to that point with 5. He went 3-1-1 with a .908 SV% . After not playing for almost a month.

So the two in January
Cory 0-4-1 with .870.
Keith 3-1-1 with a .908 SV%
Or
Cory 1 out of 10 points
Keith 7 out of 10 points

Funny you are calling it "terrible team defense", because most others were claiming "no secondary scoring"...the reality is neither, Cory just shit the bed.

Last edited:

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Even the beginning of the year Corey wasn't that great. He just wasn't horrible like he was in the last half of the season. He was fighting to get his save% back up to his career average, and every time he came near it, he'd have an off-game. If you'll remember, we were joking (or rather, expecting) 1 bad goal from Corey every game. We just happened to be scoring more at the beginning of the season, which covered it up.

Reactions: Aethon

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yup... Keith was as good as Cory in October and November.

Cory October 5-1 .909 SV%
Keith October 3-1 .910 SV%

Cory November 4-4-3 .924 SV%
Keith November 2-0-1 .903 SV%

After the first two months.

Cory 9-5-3 .918 - 21 out of 34 points(62%).

Keith 5-1-1 .906 - 11 out 14 points (79%)

If not for the stretch from December 12th to December 27th where Cory went 6-0-1 with a .937 SV% against
5 out of 7 non-playoff teams,
Cory's season would be a complete disaster.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I was just looking...and it seems a large portion of Cory's wins are against non-playoff teams.

11/12 out of 17... depending on Colorado. Counting Florida and Colorodo it's 12 out of 17...over 70% of his wins this season are against teams that will not qualify for the playoffs.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
To be fair I just did a count for Keith and it looks like 15 out of his 26 wins were against non-playoff teams. 58%

All of his early wins were against non-playoff teams. In fact, 6 of his first 6 wins were against teams that will not qualify for the playoffs.

His first win against a playoff team was January 18th against Washington

Last edited:

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I think it's unfair to judge KK's numbers when he played 7 games in 2 months.I think most goaltenders need to play more to be effective. KK has shown that this year.

He's my MVP after Taylor Hall.

It's funny how the day before the game against the Leafs we we're speaking about timely saves. The save he made after we scored the first goal, which was an amazing save, most probably saved the game. He shut it down in the 3rd period.

With Cory you know that one of the chances goes in, and the whole complexity of the game changes. That's what it is. Cory can't make the timely saves. I think that's what define an excellent goaltender and a good goaltender.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
To be fair I just did a count for Keith and it looks like 15 out of his 26 wins were against non-playoff teams. 58%

All of his early wins were against non-playoff teams. In fact, 6 of his first 6 wins were against teams that will not qualify for the playoffs.

His first win against a playoff team was January 18th against Washington
I don't care what people say, his last 15 games, against top teams, winning on a couple back to backs (which includes a back to back against Pitt and TBL) was elite level. It's insanity.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Do they even still do team awards? I assume so but I don't remember hearing about them since Lou did away with it in his final season? I feel like they would have given out the team awards already.

I also remember they used to promote access to the team awards as a STH perk but that's not been mentioned in a while.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Do they even still do team awards? I assume so but I don't remember hearing about them since Lou did away with it in his final season? I feel like they would have given out the team awards already.
Didn't they stop because of not making the playoffs? I vaguely remember Lou saying something about awards shouldn't be given for missing the playoffs?

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Pitt is a tough matchup...
I know the records, but I think I would rather face Vasilevsky.
If Flyers lose, and we win and CBJ win, we face Washington.

If we lose, and Flyers win, there's a chance we might face Boston, as they can still catch TBL. And I don't want to face Boston.

If I was Hynes, I would try and avoid the scenario of playing Boston.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Unfortunately this is gonna be a 12th straight loss coming up with the lineups both teams are playing :P

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Unfortunately this is gonna be a 12th straight loss coming up with the lineups both teams are playing :P
Win or lose doesn’t matter so much to me, but it would be nice for confidence reasons for him to get a win. If he allows 3-4 goals again (unless we allow a zillion shots) then I don’t wanna hear it about how it’s Ovechkin and there’s no such thing as a stoppable goal allowed to him or that Vatanen was out and the defense is bad or Bratt got coned again or whatever. I somehow have a feeling there won’t be too many people defending him anyway, as most have turned their back on him. I was one of his last defenders here and even I jumped ship after that game where he murdered us early against Pete and the Sharks. Our last regulation loss to date.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Pitt is a tough matchup...
I know the records, but I think I would rather face Vasilevsky.
Vas could steal games. And Tampa is loaded up and down their lineup. I'm much rather see Pitt. Their defense is susceptible to turnovers with our forecheck. Plus, Zajac matches up perfectly with Malkin.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Vas could steal games. And Tampa is loaded up and down their lineup. I'm much rather see Pitt. Their defense is susceptible to turnovers with our forecheck. Plus, Zajac matches up perfectly with Malkin.
Perhaps? I think I still rather face the goalie that has been faltering and has no real playoff success/experience vs the defending back to back cup champs!

Pittsburgh's defense is certainly a weak spot, but Crosby or Malkin can win a series on their own.

I guess its a pick your posion situation?

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Win or lose doesn’t matter so much to me, but it would be nice for confidence reasons for him to get a win. If he allows 3-4 goals again (unless we allow a zillion shots) then I don’t wanna hear it about how it’s Ovechkin and there’s no such thing as a stoppable goal allowed to him or that Vatanen was out and the defense is bad or Bratt got coned again or whatever. I somehow have a feeling there won’t be too many people defending him anyway, as most have turned their back on him. I was one of his last defenders here and even I jumped ship after that game where he murdered us early against Pete and the Sharks. Our last regulation loss to date.
I think I was at my game and watching the low lights in the locker room... it was not fun to watch as a goalie

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Schneider playoffs stats:

2010-11 Playoffs 5 2.58 .915
2011-12 Playoffs 3 1.31 .960
2012-13 Playoffs 2 4.62 .880

1-4
1-2-2

https://www.hockey-reference.com/player ... g/playoffs
These don't mean too much to me because the sample size is too small and Cory is also not the same goalie he was then, he's clearly not as good as he was then.

The 2011 playoffs were also filled with many relief appearances when he got in there. I think he only started one game? Or was it two? He was REALLY good in the 2012 playoffs in the 3 games he played. He didn't allow more than 1 goal in regulation in any of those 3 starts and the team he lost to were those same Kings that beat us later that Spring.

He was brutal in game 3 against the Sharks in 2013. Not sure why AV went back to him in game 4. He was good in game 4, but the OT winner was a puck that went through him and leaked into the crease for an easy rebound goal. He was injured and just came back from injury in game 3, which is why Luongo started those first two games of that series.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think I was at my game and watching the low lights in the locker room... it was not fun to watch as a goalie
He was really poor that game.

First goal was a dead angle where he wasn't hugging the short side post, third was was a breakaway where he was square to the shooter, but it still found a way in. Fourth goal was an odd man rush, but a 5-hole shot where he looked completely clueless on. And 2-3 minutes before he allowed that goal a Joe Pavelski backhander beat him from well out and at a tough angle and went off the post. He didn't even look like he was paying attention or in the game at that point.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
These don't mean too much to me because the sample size is too small and Cory is also not the same goalie he was then, he's clearly not as good as he was then.

The 2011 playoffs were also filled with many relief appearances when he got in there. I think he only started one game? Or was it two? He was REALLY good in the 2012 playoffs in the 3 games he played. He didn't allow more than 1 goal in regulation in any of those 3 starts and the team he lost to were those same Kings that beat us later that Spring.

He was brutal in game 3 against the Sharks in 2013. Not sure why AV went back to him in game 4. He was good in game 4, but the OT winner was a puck that went through him and leaked into the crease for an easy rebound goal. He was injured and just came back from injury in game 3, which is why Luongo started those first two games of that series.

The small sample size just shows lack of playoff experience and how far removed Schneider is from his single post-season victory.

To say that he's been there before is an advantage over Kinkaid is a weak argument. Not saying you or anyone else here is suggesting that.

Have seen some say Schneider should start in the playoffs if he plays well today or gets a shutout today due to his career regular season resume over Kinkaid's fewer career starts or Schneider should start the game three if we lose the first two without context. Not buying that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad