GDT: Devils@Flames 9 pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And Hamburglar is in no way comparable to Blackwood. Hammond was never even a legit prospect. He was already 26 when he appeared in his first NHL game and 27 when he started his first NHL game. 5 years older than Blackwood was when he started his first game.

He was called up and started because Robin Lehner got injured. Blackwood was called up because Schneider was injured and started games because (and this is the god’s honest truth and I’m not saying this just to say it) Kinkaid was the worst starter in the NHL and they decided to switch it up and try something new.

The only thing Hammond had on Blackwood was that he had appeared in fewer AHL games by the time he got his first start in the NHL and got an NHL start earlier into his pro career than Blackwood. This is because Hammond didn’t start college until he was 21 years old and finished his college career at 25. Hammond had just ended his freshman year in college when he was the age Blackwood is right now.

Hammond is almost like if Scott Wedgewood was called up and made his NHL debut right about now. Only Wedgewood has been a pro goalie for almost 7 years at the same age Hammond was when he had been a pro goalie for only 2 years. And Wedgewood was once a legit prospect years ago, whereas no one really knew who Hammond was before he got those starts.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I'm going to pound my chest.

I knew that this team would shit all over Blackwood at some point.

The defense is AIDS for any goaltender.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i’m really glad i skipped this one, holy shit. i watched the highlights, and that was some of the worst defensive coverage i’ve ever seen in my life. that’s not hyperbole, literally

giphy.gif

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They left Blackwood in for all 9 goals? This franchise is at rock bottom.
Well the last two goals happened in the last minute. Or about the last 80 seconds of the game. Literally.

I think if it weren’t a back to back then he’s probably coming out.

The sad part is that he faced one more shot after the ninth goal and it actually seemed like they might get 10 and 3 in the last 80 seconds of the game.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Combo of trash d, and blackwood is no better then the McDonald Ottawa guy. Good stretch at first then implodes.

If this was cory or kk in net bleed and his crew would be arguing sending him back to the ahl... but blackwood gets special treatment here

BAD BAD BAD Bias take.

You've disappeared and come back once the kid gets all these goals scored on him? Are you not Keith's uncle?

Keith doesn't even play and I read an article yesterday that he's not even sure if he has an NHL future beyond this season.

No one misses Keith Kinkaid and he has no future here. Move on.

Blackwood will be fine and shows great promise. We have to shore up the defense and horrible play around him.

Eddie Lack even said on twitter it happens to all goalies and this experience will help him in the future.

Reactions: mtnet and Bleedred

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Severson going for the intercept at center ice while being the lone defender back against the opposing team’s best player and getting torched as a result is a perfect reflection of both him as a player and this garbage “system” the coaching staff employs.

I’m sorry to say this but this is Mickey Mouse shit. I can’t take this franchise seriously with this current leadership both on and off the ice.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm going to pound my chest.

I knew that this team would **** all over Blackwood at some point.

The defense is AIDS for any goaltender.

This is why I wouldn’t have been opposed to leaving him in the AHL...then again with all our injuries our AHL team is more like an ECHL team now so he’d be ****ed either way regardless. The fact it took this long for a meltdown speaks well of him.

If he plays well his next game who cares, if not might need to shut him down before this team really does ruin him.

Reactions: tr83

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
This is why I wouldn’t have been opposed to leaving him in the AHL...then again with all our injuries our AHL team is more like an ECHL team so he’d be ****ed either way. The fact it took this long for a meltdown speaks well of him.

I worry that this might happen a couple of more times. I don't want yet another goalie with confidence issues because the coaching staff won't play any structured defense

Camille the Eel

LOL Hynes saying “it will be addressed.”

The reason we scored 4 goals last night and had a ton more chances was precisely that he more or less let this bunch go out and go crazy. We got into a pond hockey game with them and even managed to get up a goal at the start of the 3d.

But the style came back and bit us.

Yes we could have turtled down and lost 4 - 0 instead of 9 - 4 (should have been 7 - 4).

You need to put a guy on Gaudreau every second to beat that club. Give him no room and also muscle him (if you can catch him). He wrecked us last night. With a better line up maybe Hischier or Zacha would have marked him.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
LOL Hynes saying “it will be addressed.”

The reason we scored 4 goals last night and had a ton more chances was precisely that he more or less let this bunch go out and go crazy. We got into a pond hockey game with them and even managed to get up a goal at the start of the 3d.

But the style came back and bit us.

Yes we could have turtled down and lost 4 - 0 instead of 9 - 4 (should have been 7 - 4).

You need to put a guy on Gaudreau every second to beat that club. Give him no room and also muscle him (if you can catch him). He wrecked us last night. With a better line up maybe Hischier or Zacha would have marked him.

If you are gonna play pond hockey with this bunch Hynes should be jailed for abusing his goalie :sarcasm:

Honestly though you can’t play run and gun with this team under any circumstances. If you’re going to try it better be at home and not on the road where these games get away faster and quicker

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Anyone have a clip of the last goal that was scored? I want to know what the hell Santini was possibly thinking on that play.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
Hynes should have "addressed" this team by about Game #7 of this season, but instead it took in ten times longer than that to realize there was something to be addressed. He still doesn't know what exactly to "address", but at least he has a new contract in hand and more time to figure that part out.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
We’re dissing Blackwood now? **** right off.

I went to bed when it was still 3-3. What a disaster.

i’m not trashing blackwood at all, but i can only imagine the conversations we’d be having if it was kinkaid (or schneider) in net. i doubt we’d be seeing the same ‘poor kinkaid, he got hung out to dry’ type posts. i don’t mind criticizing any player, but there should be some kind of consistency when doing it. ALL of our goalies have been royally f***ed by this defensive ‘strategy’ and what i would call the worst defensive lineup in the entire league

Reactions: tr83

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We’re dissing Blackwood now? **** right off.

I went to bed when it was still 3-3. What a disaster.
It’s mostly Team Kinkaid. One person that wants to prove he was right and that it’s the team’s fault and Kinkaid (and Cory earlier) wasn’t really bad and another that decided to come on here and make their first post in a while.

I predicted it would happen as soon as Blackwood had a game he got lit up in. The one is even saying he started out hot then imploded. Like he imploded because of one bad game that came after 4 straight starts of allowing 2 or fewer goals?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
i’m not trashing blackwood at all, but i can only imagine the conversations we’d be having if it was kinkaid (or schneider) in net. i doubt we’d be seeing the same ‘poor kinkaid, he got hung out to dry’ type posts. i don’t mind criticizing any player, but there should be some kind of consistency when doing it. ALL of our goalies have been royally ****ed by this defensive ‘strategy’ and what i would call the worst defensive lineup in the entire league

Can't just make blanket statements about the goalies though - also depends on what type of goals they are giving up. You also have to give Blackwood some benefit of the doubt based on his previous performances.

Kinkaid was letting in weak goals and struggling for a long period of time. The "defense" certainly made things worse, but I unfortunately watched the entire game last night and it's hard to fault Blackwood too much on a lot of the goals. The team in front of him was putrid.

Reactions: mtnet and Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Can't just make blanket statements about the goalies though - also depends on what type of goals they are giving up. You also have to give Blackwood some benefit of the doubt based on his previous performances.
This right here. Thanks for putting this into perspective. Blackwood deserves the benefit of the doubt for now because this isn’t a trend with him like it was Kinkaid. He’s allowed more than 3 goals in only 3 of his 15 starts? Or maybe it’s 4 of his 15 starts? And he allowed 2 or fewer in his last 4 straight starts. Kinkaid was getting boffed over and over again. Same with Cory before coming back from his last injury. This hasn’t become a trend yet like it was with Kinkaid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad