Devils Draft Booms and Busts since 2000

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
As the 2020 NHL Entry Draft approaches, we decided to examine each team’s best and worst pick since the 2000 NHL Entry Draft. The biggest boom is a player that had the best value relative to where they were selected. Meaning, no one in the first round will be considered a team’s best value pick. However, the biggest bust picks will almost always be in the first round. We will examine each player, why they were picked where they were, and what their NHL career was like. Today, we look at the New Jersey Devils draft, and their biggest boom and bust.

Here is the Article
New Jersey Devils Biggest Draft Boom and Bust Since 2000

Here is a taste with one of the HMs

Mattias Tedenby

An honourable mention has to go to Mattias Tedenby. Entering the 2008 NHL Draft, Tedenby was ranked third amongst European skaters. He was a small but speedy Swedish winger that the Devils selected 24th overall that year. While he did show signs of some offensive flair his game never rounded into form in 120 NHL games. Not to mention his defensive game was very poor and the Devils did not want to wait for that part of his game to come around. He did not play for the Devils for long. After his rookie contract expired, Tedenby ended up making the move back to Sweden.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Zacha is definitely a much larger bust than Tallackson, Tedenby, Josefson, Hale, Foster, Corrente and Matteau.
can't tell if sarcasm but 0.5ppg player is still an NHLer. he's a "bust" only because of whoever was still available at that slot.

not rhetorical - how are we defining a bust? a 1st rounder who doesn't make the NHL? someone who doesn't meet expectations?

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
tS1MB6.gif

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
can't tell if sarcasm but 0.5ppg player is still an NHLer. he's a "bust" only because of whoever was still available at that slot.

not rhetorical - how are we defining a bust? a 1st rounder who doesn't make the NHL? someone who doesn't meet expectations?
Definitely sarcasm.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I wish this was from 5 years ago.

It would have made for a nice DD post about Conte and how could TNR keep him in power for the next draft after removing Lou a couple weeks ago, and how he needs to pick Barzal.

We’d even get to see some long forgotten names like Hoeffel and lament how we chose him over Wayne Simmonds.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Not to defend Conte, but is Tallackson really a bust when he was taken 53rd overall? I know Keith went right after him, but so did a bunch of other players who never amounted to anything close to Keith either.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Not to defend Conte, but is Tallackson really a bust when he was taken 53rd overall? I know Keith went right after him, but so did a bunch of other players who never amounted to anything close to Keith either.
I mean we picked a guy two slots ahead of Tallackson who was even shittier...

That draft we had 11 draft picks who played a COMBINED 395 games. 7 of those draft picks including our first pick in the draft played a grand total of 0 NHL games combined. Cam Janssen led the way with 336 of those 395 NHL games played. I don't know if you can have a worse draft.

Turns out you can... the 2001 draft. 11 picks. 254 games played combined by the 11 picks. Our first two picks never played a single NHL game while our 8th rounder played 162, none of which with us.

We've had some ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE drafts, it's almost impressive that we didn't bottom out until the 2010s.

Last edited:

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

it’s all about where you are drafted. The devils weren’t drafting a 3rd line center with the 6 pick when they took Zacha. It’s great that’s what he ends up being yay the nhl is full of players like him. He is the bigger bust then anyone that I saw mentioned. Just because you still play in the nhl doesn’t mean you aren’t a bust.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
it’s all about where you are drafted. The devils weren’t drafting a 3rd line center with the 6 pick when they took Zacha. It’s great that’s what he ends up being yay the nhl is full of players like him. He is the bigger bust then anyone that I saw mentioned. Just because you still play in the nhl doesn’t mean you aren’t a bust.
I think people have very different definitions of busts. To me there are disappointments where you can put guys like Zacha who aren't living up to their draft pedigree but are still NHLers. Then there are "busts" like Yakupov, Sam Reinhart, and the first four picks of the 2012 draft.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I think people have very different definitions of busts. To me there are disappointments where you can put guys like Zacha who aren't living up to their draft pedigree but are still NHLers. Then there are "busts" like Yakupov, Sam Reinhart, and the first four picks of the 2012 draft.

yeah I get there are different views on the term busts. To me it’s more cut and dry.

Murray and Galchenyuk still play so they can’t be busts by that definition then?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
yeah I get there are different views on the term busts. To me it’s more cut and dry.

Murray and Galchenyuk still play so they can’t be busts by that definition then?
Ok then two of the top 4 picks in 2012 if we are going to argue over semantics.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Matteau is the worst for me, we had to give up a first round pick anyway and we weren't going to be lower than 29 again. They decide not give up the pick and the guy completely sucked anyway with his 5 total points and was essentially the same thing if we gave up the pick. He didn't even turn into a future pick because he was eventually traded for Smith-Pelly who ended up eventually getting bought out.

His stupid name is the cherry on top of that shit sandwich that was that pick in 2012.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Matteau is the worst for me, we had to give up a first round pick anyway and we weren't going to be lower than 29 again. They decide not give up the pick and the guy completely sucked anyway with his 5 total points and was essentially the same thing if we gave up the pick. He didn't even turn into a future pick because he was eventually traded for Smith-Pelly who ended up eventually getting bought out.

His stupid name is the cherry on top of that shit sandwich that was that pick in 2012.
I remember trying to rationalize this pick at the time, but I was just drinking the Lou-aid.

Too much of it.

And I also used the “Well we got our 2014 pick back at least”, which was spent on another shitty player, although much less shitty than the BUSTED TOE!

That’s how bad Matteau was, not a compliment or credit to Quenneville.

Quest for Stanley

Dec 12, 2017
Also this article is clearly not completed.

I don't see Seney mentioned as a boom pick? Just no respect for the guy with the 5th highest P/60 among forwards the Devils have drafted since 2012
Right on! Not bad for a 6th round pick. Since 2012 , the Devils have had 7 first round picks. They selected a forward with 6 of the 7 picks. The list below includes the 6 forward first round draft picks (2 first overall). With significantly less opportunity Seney has out produced 4 of the 6 first rounders at the NHL level.

Since 2012 the NJ Devils have drafted 37 Forwards.

11 of the 37 have played at least 10 regular season games with New Jersey.

Below is a summary of their point production per 60 minutes ice time:

1. Nico Hischier 2.23 (135/60.57)
2. Jesper Bratt 2.19 (100/45.68)
3. Miles Wood 1.65 (96/58.23)
4. Pavel Zacha 1.60 (108/67.47)
5. Brett Seney 1.43 (13/9.12)
6. Jack Hughes 1.30 (21/16.13)
7. Joey Anderson 1.15 (13/11.28)
8. Michael McLeod 0.79 (5/6.32)
9. John Quenneville 0.74 (5/6.76)
10. Stefan Matteau 0.68 (5/7.35)
11. Jesper Boqvist 0.63 (4/6.38)

NOTE: A big drop off after #7 (Anderson)​

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I remember trying to rationalize this pick at the time, but I was just drinking the Lou-aid.

Too much of it.

And I also used the “Well we got our 2014 pick back at least”, which was spent on another shitty player, although much less shitty than the BUSTED TOE!

That’s how bad Matteau was, not a compliment or credit to Quenneville.
Did you ever come up with anything as far as why they kept that? I thought it would've been a stone cold lock that they forfeited that pick. That to me was when I really began to spit on Lou and Co.
Not that I believe Tedenby had the hockey sense to be a top line winger in any era, if he was drafted this year I believe he had a much better shot at being a 2nd line scoring winger in today's NHL.
Agreed, plus the team isn't filled with guys like Boulton and Janssen so he'd actually have some skill to play with. I could see him working well with someone like Bratt, Gusev, etc. I loved Tedenby.

Reactions: nugg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->