Devils Could Sellout 2007-08 Season

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I don't get this feeling that somehow the Devils are going to lower ticket prices when they move.

The ticket prices will almost certainly be higher. Their may be a few seats that are lower priced, but overall, my guess is that their average will rise, not lower

They just listed the prices for the seats for next year, what do you honestly think they are going to do? Raise them before next season begins?

You know, you have been quite negative towards the Devils new arena, are you going to be the same way for the Penguins when they build theirs?

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Your right I believe overall the average ticket price will be higher because of the club seats. But the point is that there will bee plenty of lower price tickets because of the more varied price structure.
Bingo. I think what I've been trying to say is that our lowest price seats are particularly high, and that combined with the insane complications regarding the arena location are what made Devils cames a poor venue. Once we move to Newark, the lowest price seats will be drastically lower AND it will be much, much easier to get to the arena for the majority of the population of the tri-state area.

For what it's worth, while I don't live in Jersey anymore, I'm one of the few who it will actually get more complicated to get to games once we move.

saveourpens

Jul 3, 2006
Pittsburgh
I went to the Devils playoff game against the Senators last week, my seats were upstairs and the cost of these seats? $80 a pop, so if you wanted to take a family of four to the game at the seats I was sitting at it would cost your family $320 before even walking in the door.

Here's a report done on the most expensive tickets in hockey based on a family package:

http://www.teammarketing.com/fci.cfm?page=fci_nhl_06-07.cfm

New Jersey is 3rd and $43 more expensive than the Rangers, when you consider this and all the other problems the CAA had, it's really no surprise that we couldn't sellout games this year and also why it's not unrealistic to think that the Devils will have abundance of soldout games next year and beyond at the Rock especially when you consider it holds 1500 less seats than the CAA and the seats in the upper tiers will be so much cheaper.

Who the hell would bring their wife, son, and daughter to a hockey game? That report sucks.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Who the hell would bring their wife, son, and daughter to a hockey game? That report sucks.

Ah, have you ever been to a hockey game? Or any sporting event for that matter? You got to be kidding me, I have seen plenty of families at hockey games, especially in New Jersey.

What on earth do you think the matinee games on the weekends are for? So the drunks have an excuse to start drinking earlier?

ej_pens

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
They just listed the prices for the seats for next year, what do you honestly think they are going to do? Raise them before next season begins?

The ticket prices between the CAA and the new arena, not the ticket prices in the new arena between now and the start of the season..

You know, you have been quite negative towards the Devils new arena, are you going to be the same way for the Penguins when they build theirs?

Where exactly have I been negative towards the new arena? I haven't said one bad word about the arena.

The only thing I've said was that it's not realistic (IMO) to believe that they'll sell a lot more tickets because the prices will be lower. The prices won't be lower. Sure, there will be a limited number of seats that will be less than their equivalent at the CAA, but there will be plenty more seats (including upper levels) that will be more expensive than their CAA equivalent that will need to be sold.

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
My father, cousin and I got 3 $10 season tickets. We were told they were sold out at that price but got the call about a week later saying they were available. Can't beat that price. I though $20 was cheap this year.

I am psyched about the new arena and can totally beleive there will be a ton of sellouts. I bet those figures mentioned earlier in this post are mostly accurate. Good work!

And to quote Sean Connery:

"Welcome to The Rock!"

Marv4Life

Mar 5, 2006
Minnesota
My father, cousin and I got 3 $10 season tickets. We were told they were sold out at that price but got the call about a week later saying they were available. Can't beat that price. I though $20 was cheap this year.

I am psyched about the new arena and can totally beleive there will be a ton of sellouts. I bet those figures mentioned earlier in this post are mostly accurate. Good work!

And to quote Sean Connery:

"Welcome to The Rock!"

How did you get $10 season tickets if they said that they WON'T be available except for game nights only?

xDerekRx

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I just read on Sportsbusinessdaily that the NJ Nets didnt sell out 2 of their playoff games just like the Devils so Im going to agree with the arena aspect.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The ticket prices between the CAA and the new arena, not the ticket prices in the new arena between now and the start of the season..

Where exactly have I been negative towards the new arena? I haven't said one bad word about the arena.

The only thing I've said was that it's not realistic (IMO) to believe that they'll sell a lot more tickets because the prices will be lower. The prices won't be lower. Sure, there will be a limited number of seats that will be less than their equivalent at the CAA, but there will be plenty more seats (including upper levels) that will be more expensive than their CAA equivalent that will need to be sold.

You just contradicted yourself. You said there won;t be lower ticket prices and then you went on to say except those limited amount of seats with lower ticket prices.

We are talking about those limited seats. What we are saying is because of the more varied prices that make available cheaper options for people the attendance will probably increase. We aren't saying that the overall average ticket price is going to be lower just that their are more options available, some of which are less expensive than there currently are.

ej_pens

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
You just contradicted yourself. You said there won;t be lower ticket prices and then you went on to say except those limited amount of seats with lower ticket prices.

I never said there wouldn't be any lower priced seats.

We are talking about those limited seats. What we are saying is because of the more varied prices that make available cheaper options for people the attendance will probably increase. We aren't saying that the overall average ticket price is going to be lower just that their are more options available, some of which are less expensive than there currently are.

And what I'm saying is that I doubt that there are that many *more* lower priced seats to make much of a difference. Sure, there are some $10 seats that will get gobbled up rather quickly. But I doubt that there are that many more lower priced upper level seats in the new arena than in the old.

Again, looking at the photos, those sections seem really small, which leads me to believe that there won't be that many more than there were at the CAA (and yes, I've been to games at the CAA and I know the layout). And yet, the upper level seats that the new arena seems to have plenty of are the ones behind the net, which run between $65-100 (if I remember correctly).

Dr.Huxtable*

If it is, then I'm a bit agitated, cuz I thought those seats were intended for use by people who goto the Rock on the day of the game.

I think the $10 seats were offered to season ticket holders from the CAA. So if you previously had season tix you could request the $10 seats. There will be $10 seats available for games.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Good for them. A perennial playoff team should be well supported, and it's great that they'll have a worthy venue.

Really. With a track record like theirs, a season sell out should be a foregone conclusion.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Here's a report done on the most expensive tickets in hockey based on a family package:

http://www.teammarketing.com/fci.cfm?page=fci_nhl_06-07.cfm
Guess it's time for request #1428 on this forum to please stop quoting the TMR FCI as a source for average ticket price data. There is absolutely no validity to TMR's FCI as it relates to real average ticket price data. Why? Because their reported average ticket price data is not based on real average ticket price data. Yes, I have spoken directly to the woman who maintains the FCI, and yes, she confirmed that they simply take a promotional delivery as provided by a rep from each team, and each team is allowed to create a definition as they wish. Some teams drastically alter (read: lie about) the average ticket price (most likely by "creatively" redefining what seats should count.) TMR examines no actual data regarding seats or prices.

If you want to get a feel for real average ticket prices from team to team, go look at the prices for each team and do a rough weighted average by price category. It's extremely easy to see the monstrous gaps between TMR's "data" and reality. (If you think Colorado has an average ticket price anywhere near as low as $38, guess again. And their misrepresentation in the FCI has been going on well before this year.)

(And yes, I have pleaded for a sticky in this forum to address this, so that we don't continue to have references to TMR and more misinformation.)

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Guess it's time for request #1428 on this forum to please stop quoting the TMR FCI as a source for average ticket price data.
From the mouth of an NHL GM: Jay Feaster did a radio interview last week, and answered a fan question about ticket prices. The guy quoted the TMR and said the Bolts management were liars for claiming their ticket prices were in the lower 3rd of the League. Feaster said the TMR was completely wrong, said it has no relation to the actual #s the teams have to supply to the League, and pretty much any report not taken from official numbers should be taken with a grain of salt.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Here's actual (not guestimate) NHL data leaked earlier this year and published by the Globe and Mail. Toronto has the highest priced average ticket by far at USD 80.33, Vancouver's average ticket cost USD 58.74. and the Devils' average ticket cost USD 49.91. See the link and scroll to the second page.

The Devils also gave away 1,747 comp tickets per games according to the chart on the first page, 7th most in the league.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/v5/content/pdf/NHLweb.pdf

GHOST
Let me just offer a hearty John Kelly "Thank you, thank you, thank you" for posting what finally appears to be a real representation of actual average ticket price data. Note the $71 average for Colorado during 2006-07, a very realistic number when the weighted average of their price categories is examined. Also note that Colorado is second only to Toronto in ticket price, and that this was the case the year before as well (and very likely for years prior to that).

And this just further emphasizes the ridiculousness of Team Marketing Report's Fan Cost Index and their pathetic reporting of average ticket price "data." Gotta love that "creative" promotional reporting that TMR receives from the Avs that claims an average ticket price of $38. :shakehead

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
From the mouth of an NHL GM: Jay Feaster did a radio interview last week, and answered a fan question about ticket prices. The guy quoted the TMR and said the Bolts management were liars for claiming their ticket prices were in the lower 3rd of the League. Feaster said the TMR was completely wrong, said it has no relation to the actual #s the teams have to supply to the League, and pretty much any report not taken from official numbers should be taken with a grain of salt.
Which is exactly why I continue to request that we get a sticky in this forum to address this. Ticket price data is a pretty frequent ingredient in the discussions on this board, and inevitably, posters will come along and quote TMR and unwittingly spread more misinformation. It's not the posters' fault... TMR has this nice, pretty web page that's published with all these neat numbers that look all official and everything. Unfortunately, those numbers have no basis in reality and might as well have been determined by an HF community dartboard.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Here's the actual league data on average ticket prices from that Globe and Mail report, sorted by 2006-07 prices:

PHP:
Team                   2006-07  2005-06
Toronto Maple Leafs    80.33    78.98
Colorado Avalanche     71.04    65.55
New York Rangers       63.53    54.19
Dallas Stars           61.43    58.37
Edmonton Oilers        61.14    50.20
Montreal Canadiens     60.82    58.74
Boston Bruins          59.71    56.61
Vancouver Canucks      58.74    56.24
Detroit Red Wings      56.95    56.72
Columbus Blue Jackets  56.07    53.77
Philadelphia Flyers    54.59    51.94
Minnesota Wild         54.54    51.18
Anaheim Ducks          52.25    49.79
San Jose Sharks        50.95    49.05
Calgary Flames         50.70    46.97
Ottawa Senators        50.38    45.30
New Jersey Devils      49.91    48.97
Los Angeles Kings      46.75    44.17
New York Islanders     45.04    46.30
Carolina Hurricanes    44.91    38.81
Tampa Bay Lightning    44.50    42.38
Phoenix Coyotes        43.60    45.66
Chicago Blackhawks     40.79    39.74
Nashville Predators    40.33    34.74
Florida Panthers       39.75    44.59
Washington Capitals    39.57    36.16
St. Louis Blues        39.50    35.23
Pittsburgh Penguins    38.62    38.05
Atlanta Thrashers      37.27    32.70
Buffalo Sabres         36.67    36.37
League average         52.13    49.31

Lou's Koolaid

I live here
Jan 12, 2007
KWT660
I'm skeptical, NJ is still a suburb to NY and thus ids with NY first.
Even if they sellout, whose to say it's not for just a year and don't expect games not to be full of Rangers and Flyers fans.

To have as poor attendance as they did at CAA, nobody there, lots of no shows, I really don't know.

Why did the Nets choose to go to Brooklyn instead of Newark?

Also 10-15 mins to walk from parking, who would do that in Newark, a dangerous town?
Newark is no more dangerous than the Bronx and 4 million people go to Yankee Stadium. And most of the violence in the urban areas is gang related not random. There will be a heavy police presence around the arena. Don't forget cities are large areas with good and bad neigborhoods.:teach:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->