Prospect Info: Devils-Centric Mock Draft 2.0, Post-Lottery Victory

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
It is very likely that any Trouba trade involves an extension. His trade value is pretty low to Winnipeg without one and they might as well just let him sign an offer sheet and get the first, second and third rounders.
Why would Trouba care what the Jets get in compensation for him? My question is why would Trouba sign an extension and allow the Jets to trade him where they get the best offer as opposed to waiting and picking where he plays next year in FA?

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Why would Trouba care what the Jets get in compensation for him? My question is why would Trouba sign an extension and allow the Jets to trade him where they get the best offer as opposed to waiting and picking where he plays next year in FA?

Because he gets out of Winnipeg one year earlier as he reportedly wants to, and he can get a guaranteed long term contract one year earlier than he otherwise would.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Because he gets out of Winnipeg one year earlier as he reportedly wants to, and he can get a guaranteed long term contract one year earlier than he otherwise would.

Trouba wants to be "the man", and he's always going to be the #2 RD behind Byfuglien in the 'Peg. When Big Buff was hurt this year, Trouba really shined -- increasing his intensity as a physical shut-down force and netting his first 50+ point season. I would say he was a top 10 D in the NHL this year and, at 25 years old, he's just coming into his own.

I expect Detroit to make a huge play for Trouba this off-season, and quite possibly Vancouver. It's my opinion that Shero should get into the mix -- adding Hughes and Trouba would both greatly increase the Devils playoff hopes and give Taylor Hall big-time motivation to sign long term in NJ.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Just FYI, I'm hard at work on my new mock draft for May -- should be out sometime in the next week. I'm going two rounds and put a good deal of research (on the players and organizations), so it takes awhile.

As soon as that's done, I will get to work on my May 2019 draft rankings, which I hope to have posted by mid-May.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Still doing God's work @StevenToddIves - you going to do a draft party at your bar? I missed the lottery because I was out of town.

I'm trying to get to Vancouver for the draft. I used to get tickets through an NHL organization (not the Devils), but now I have to go through my old hockey writing network. If I can't get to Vancouver, I'll figure out a Plan B. Regardless, if you guys wanted to throw a draft party at my bar in Chelsea (Flight 151), I'd be glad to set it up for you.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I'm trying to get to Vancouver for the draft. I used to get tickets through an NHL organization (not the Devils), but now I have to go through my old hockey writing network. If I can't get to Vancouver, I'll figure out a Plan B. Regardless, if you guys wanted to throw a draft party at my bar in Chelsea (Flight 151), I'd be glad to set it up for you.
i mean, i plan on being off that day so i'd definitely be down. i would be willing to promote it on the reddit if you could get permission

i know you said your old boss was the reddit savvy one, but i think i could coord w a moderator

Reactions: StevenToddIves

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Trouba wants to be "the man", and he's always going to be the #2 RD behind Byfuglien in the 'Peg. When Big Buff was hurt this year, Trouba really shined -- increasing his intensity as a physical shut-down force and netting his first 50+ point season. I would say he was a top 10 D in the NHL this year and, at 25 years old, he's just coming into his own.

I expect Detroit to make a huge play for Trouba this off-season, and quite possibly Vancouver. It's my opinion that Shero should get into the mix -- adding Hughes and Trouba would both greatly increase the Devils playoff hopes and give Taylor Hall big-time motivation to sign long term in NJ.
but how much would trouba cost?

#34 pick + zacha? wood?

how does it work when a player is in their RFA year?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
but how much would trouba cost?

#34 pick + zacha? wood?

how does it work when a player is in their RFA year?

Jets GM Kevin Chevaldayoff is a very conservative trader. Though he has dealt #1 picks in the past two years in the effort to build up for a cup run, he is very reticent when trading roster players. I personally don't think the Devils can outbid a motivated Detroit or Vancouver, as either of them could be willing to include a top 10 pick this year in the effort to get Trouba.

But Shero should do his due diligence in case Detroit and Vancouver do not include their #1s. If the Devils were to offer #34, McLeod, Jeremy Davies and Steven Santini, I'm sure Chevaldayoff would at least be willing to listen.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

I'm there!

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

I doubt Vancouver is in the mix since reportedly he wants to play for a team based in the United States. We have a huge advantage over Detroit so far as being able to offer more in a trade as we’re far ahead of Detroit in being ready to compete. Detroit cannot afford to trade this year’s or next year’s first rounder, while we can trade our 2020 one. We could also dangle Vatanen or Butcher. If he’s willing to sign an extension here, we should be considered a favorite if Ray wants him here.

Reactions: Bet the Over

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I doubt Vancouver is in the mix since reportedly he wants to play for a team based in the United States. We have a huge advantage over Detroit so far as being able to offer more in a trade as we’re far ahead of Detroit in being ready to compete. Detroit cannot afford to trade this year’s or next year’s first rounder, while we can trade our 2020 one. We could also dangle Vatanen or Butcher. If he’s willing to sign an extension here, we should be considered a favorite if Ray wants him here.
We also have much more cap space.

I know it sounds stupid to trade D for D, but is it possible they'd be interested in Severson? I think Trouba's a bit better, but he wants out of 'Peg so they have less leverage. Severson's also under a reasonable contract for the next few years and would fit well as a 2RHD.

Are we sure Trouba wants out of Canada? I could see Toronto offering a pretty good forward for him.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
We also have much more cap space.

I know it sounds stupid to trade D for D, but is it possible they'd be interested in Severson? I think Trouba's a bit better, but he wants out of 'Peg so they have less leverage. Severson's also under a reasonable contract for the next few years and would fit well as a 2RHD.

Are we sure Trouba wants out of Canada? I could see Toronto offering a pretty good forward for him.

The reports are that he wants out of Canada, and they seem plausible. But even if not, Toronto wants to keep Marner, and Winnipeg should have no interest in Nylander, so I just don’t see how that could possibly happen.

I’m sure that Winnipeg would want Severson. And as a more or less one for one deal, I would probably do it so long as Trouba agrees to a new contract and if we had no other choice. I think we’re better off dealing our 2020 first and Vatanen, which Winnipeg might find just as or more appealing. It gives them a quality defenseman for at least one more year and they’ll have another first after going two years without one. If their season does not go as planned, Vatanen should fetch a good price at the deadline.

One other outside the box thought would be to do Santini or McLeod, Vatanen and the 2020 first for Trouba and Dylan Samberg, who has just said he’s going back for another year of college and might pull an Adam Fox.

Reactions: Smitty426

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad