Prospect Info: Devils-Centric Mock Draft 2.0, Post-Lottery Victory

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Niedermeyer could probably still out-skate half the NHL, ha. One of my favorites ever.

The Devils have a very good top-pairing D possibility ready to crack the roster in Ty Smith. Don't sleep on this kid -- in the 2019 draft he would be a slam-dunk as the #2 defenseman overall, and a very plausible top 10 pick. Smith's hockey IQ and compete level are off the charts, and his skating and skill are both high-end.

I also believe that Ray Shero will use the Jack Hughes windfall to jump-start the team rebuild. Trades for Jacob Trouba and PK Subban are not beyond the realm of possibility -- both players will be expensive, but feasible acquisitions in the 2019 off-season. After a quiet 2018 off-season (though Shero went after several name players and came up short), I expect him to be a bit more determined in 2019, especially when considering that Taylor Hall might require some motivation to be signed long term.

Trouba, in particular, intrigues me. There are not many superior combinations of offensive acumen/shutdown ability/physicality at RD in the entire NHL. He would certainly be expensive, especially as Winnipeg will reload to contend for a Stanley Cup in 2020. But adding Trouba, Hughes and Ty Smith to a Devils team with a healthy Taylor Hall and improved goaltending tandem of Blackwood/Schneider would stand a strong chance of getting the Devils back into the post-season, and getting Taylor Hall to sign through 2025 or beyond.

Your opinion on Trouba intrigues me. I don't see him as much better than Severson but I don't watch a lot of Jets games.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Your opinion on Trouba intrigues me. I don't see him as much better than Severson but I don't watch a lot of Jets games.

He is a guy the locals would sour on when they have to watch him shift to shift as opposed to just looking at highlights and stat lines.

Which isn’t to say he isn’t very good. We can be hyper critical with some of these guys. It all depends on the price. Both Winnipeg and Nashville would most likely want roster players. A package based fully on futures most likely does not do it.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
He is a guy the locals would sour on when they have to watch him shift to shift as opposed to just looking at highlights and stat lines.

Which isn’t to say he isn’t very good. We can be hyper critical with some of these guys. It all depends on the price. Both Winnipeg and Nashville would most likely want roster players. A package based fully on futures most likely does not do it.

That's what I mean. In the decent amount of games I have watched him play, he makes a lot of the same mistakes that Severson gets roasted on here for.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
That's what I mean. In the decent amount of games I have watched him play, he makes a lot of the same mistakes that Severson gets roasted on here for.
Worst amongst Jet's defense in terms of 5v5 goals against per 60.

Tough minutes? I dunno, Buff by comparison fares significantly better.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Worst amongst Jet's defense in terms of 5v5 goals against per 60.

Tough minutes? I dunno, Buff by comparison fares significantly better.

I'm fairly confident in saying I've read that his goals for per 60 aren't that much different than Severson on a much higher scoring team.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm fairly confident in saying I've read that his goals for per 60 aren't that much different than Severson on a much higher scoring team.
Actually his goals for are best amongst jets d-men(Joe Morrow is a bit better but played only half the season). Overall he is 50% goals for. Only Myers is below 50% amongts Jet's d-men.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I was comparing his goals for to a Severson.
Well Sev's is 2nd best amongst devils d-men(behind Butcher) so there is that comparison.

I like Sev's as a player though, so if someone told me we were getting another Sev's I'd be cool with that.

Trouba's games missed throughout his career do give me pause though. He's played 81 games or more twice in his career, including this past season, but has played 65 or less in his other 4 NHL seasons.

Reactions: Billdo

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Trouba is much, much better than Vatanen, who is better than Severson. I would say that Trouba is an elite defenseman, top 15 in the NHL, who does not get due credit because he plays behind a top 5 defenseman in Byfuglien and for a Winnipeg which cannot get any time on American television. You can count on one hand the number of NHL D who can shutdown the opposition, play with elite physicality and top 50 points in a season. Trouba is one of those. In fact, the Devils do not have a D really capable of any of those three crucial things. Maybe Butcher can peak as a 50+ point guy, but he's below average defensively and well below average in terms of physicality.

Reactions: Taylor Hall

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Trouba is much, much better than Vatanen, who is better than Severson. I would say that Trouba is an elite defenseman, top 15 in the NHL, who does not get due credit because he plays behind a top 5 defenseman in Byfuglien and for a Winnipeg which cannot get any time on American television. You can count on one hand the number of NHL D who can shutdown the opposition, play with elite physicality and top 50 points in a season. Trouba is one of those. In fact, the Devils do not have a D really capable of any of those three crucial things. Maybe Butcher can peak as a 50+ point guy, but he's below average defensively and well below average in terms of physicality.
Eh, Vatanen isn’t better than Severson in my opinion. And I would love to run an experiment and put Severson on the Jets and Trouba on the Devils. I think Trouba is probably better, but not by any significant margin. Give Trouba Andy Greene and give Severson Morrissey.

Reactions: Billdo

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
Definitely agree on Trouba, but I'm not quite as high on him to say top 15. He's definitely a legit defenseman all around, however. Also I felt Butcher was way better defensively this year and hopefully he just continues to improve. I thought his all around game was much better this year, even if he didn't get as many points. I'd love to add Trouba/Smith to the roster for next year. That would be incredible.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Well Sev's is 2nd best amongst devils d-men(behind Butcher) so there is that comparison.

I like Sev's as a player though, so if someone told me we were getting another Sev's I'd be cool with that.

Trouba's games missed throughout his career do give me pause though. He's played 81 games or more twice in his career, including this past season, but has played 65 or less in his other 4 NHL seasons.

Yeah I think the issue is more people get a bit ridiculous shitting on Severson when lots of guys people consider really good make similar mistakes.

I wonder what the cost for Trouba would actually be.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
But he doesn't shut down the opposition, and while he did have an impressive offensive year this year, his career high prior to this year was 33 points.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I honestly don't think Trouba shuts down the opposition.
I'm not sure about "shut down" but I think Trouba can hold his own defensively, whereas Severson has been rolled by opposing top lines, and Vatanen is marginally better. I know Trouba didn't have a great playoff series, but I think that's a small sample size.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
We can debate how good Trouba is but I doubt he would agree to sign a long term deal with NJ at this point. He is one year away from UFA and I do not think playing in NJ would be something he would give up that opportunity for. While everyone can interpret comments differently, Shero did not sound like a GM that would be interested in trading his 2020 first to me in that presser with Harris when he got his extension. Especially not for a rental at this point.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I would be happy with bringing in just about any defenseman. The problem is, trading for a D you almost never pay fair value because there's such a high premium on young (or at least, not old) defensemen.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think you guys underrate Trouba. I would be really happy if Shero can bring him to the Devils without overpaying.

oh I would love to have him.

I think my (and other people here) main point is that he is not THAT huge of an upgrade over Severson where I would consider packaging Severson and picks/prospects to bring him in.

If we can keep Severson and still acquire Trouba for a reasonable price, I am down

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
We can debate how good Trouba is but I doubt he would agree to sign a long term deal with NJ at this point. He is one year away from UFA and I do not think playing in NJ would be something he would give up that opportunity for. While everyone can interpret comments differently, Shero did not sound like a GM that would be interested in trading his 2020 first to me in that presser with Harris when he got his extension. Especially not for a rental at this point.

It is very likely that any Trouba trade involves an extension. His trade value is pretty low to Winnipeg without one and they might as well just let him sign an offer sheet and get the first, second and third rounders.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
oh I would love to have him.

I think my (and other people here) main point is that he is not THAT huge of an upgrade over Severson where I would consider packaging Severson and picks/prospects to bring him in.

If we can keep Severson and still acquire Trouba for a reasonable price, I am down

With the contract Trouba is going to get, Severson at 4.166 for 4 more years will very likely be the more valuable asset.

If a trade around Severson/Trouba is happening, then Winnipeg will be adding, or it will be straight up 1 for 1. Even straight up, I still might not do it.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
With the contract Trouba is going to get, Severson at 4.166 for 4 more years will very likely be the more valuable asset.

If a trade around Severson/Trouba is happening, then Winnipeg will be adding, or it will be straight up 1 for 1. Even straight up, I still might not do it.

They might find draft picks more appealing. They haven't had a first rounder for the past two years and our second round pick is almost like a first rounder. You can get that package if you're taking Vatanen, who is still a good player in his own right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad