Prospect Info: Devils-Centric Mock Draft 2.0, Post-Lottery Victory

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Sleeper prospect of the day:

RW Bryce Brodzinski, Blaine HS-MN, USHS

Everyone wants a "true sleeper" prospect, and the Devils want a couple of goal-scoring power forwards, especially on the RW. Brodzinski gained some notoriety as Minnesota's 2018-19 "Mr. Hockey", and he's quite noticeable as a 6'1-205 power forward with an NHL-caliber one-timer and cannon for a shot. Brodzinski adds to his tool box excellent on-ice smarts and terrific two-way acumen, and yet is left off many experts top 100 lists. If there's one question about his game, it's that his skating is average, and he certainly needs to put a lot of work into his acceleration; his first-step quickness is noticeably lugubrious.

What's interesting to me is that this scouting report is in some ways similar to what I recall reading about Jamie Benn in his draft year. Benn really worked on all aspects of his skating, and the rest of his game improved exponentially as a result of his being ahead of the play instead of constantly catching up to it. Now, of course I'm not saying that Brodzinski is the next Jamie Benn -- but I am saying that this is the type of kid you draft in the 4th round not because of his certainty of making the NHL, as there's clearly risk here, but rather because if he can improve a singular aspect of his game he can become a very important player on your roster.

The Devils need physical, power forwards and youngsters who can shoot the lights out -- Brodzinski offers both. The Devils prefer smart players with two-way acumen, high compete levels and high-end skating ability. Brodzinski offers all of this but for the skating. He has legit likelihood of being around when the Devils draft in the 4th round with the #96 pick, and in my opinion a kid like Bryce Brodzinski would certainly be worth taking a flyer on in that spot.

TonySoprano

Apr 20, 2019
Satriale's
Is there a two or 3 round mock out yet? I want to look at some possibilities in rounds 2 and 3, or will I have to wait till after the combine for that?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Is there a two or 3 round mock out yet? I want to look at some possibilities in rounds 2 and 3, or will I have to wait till after the combine for that?

If you have any questions about the Devils draft possibilities in later rounds, I answer them for the Devils fans on these threads whenever I can. Also, I am posting write-ups of "sleeper prospects" who may attract the Devils in the mid-to-late rounds.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Sleeper Prospect of the Day:

LD Tobias Bjornfot, Djurgarden, SWE Jr.
First off, I'd like to say that Bjornfot is not a true "sleeper", in that there is strong possibility that he is drafted in the late first round. But there's equivalent likelihood that he falls to where the Devils are drafting at #34, so I'm writing him up anyway.

Watching the IIHF USA vs. Sweden game, the Swedish defensemen who were gaining most of the pre-draft hype were Victor Soderstrom and Philip Broberg. Bjornfot has almost been an afterthought among the draft-pundit community, and this baffles me.

Bjornfot combines ideal size (6'0-185) with outstanding skates and a tool box which includes a very good shot, decent strength/physicality and admirable puck skills. His finest trait, in my mind, is his on-ice awareness -- which is extremely impressive in all three zones. While he may lack the vision to be a top-pairing D at the NHL level and the power to be a shut-down guy, he's simply an extremely mobile, smart defenseman who does everything well -- the perfect type of prospect to project into an all-situation, mid-pairing LD. Give me a team who would not want this type of player in their prospect pipeline, and I will give you the Loch Ness Monster's P.O.Box address.

While Soderstrom matches Bjornfot's speed, smarts and defensive acumen, he's a touch smaller and lacks Bjornfot's very good point shot. While Broberg is unbelievably athletic -- huge and faster than either of them -- his defensive zone awareness borders on negligible and his penchant for costly turnovers is difficult to overlook. If I had to rank the Swedish defensemen in the 2019 draft class, I would give Soderstrom the slight edge, but to me Bjornfot is far and away the best LD available. There is a reason he is wearing the C for Team Sweden right now, and if Bjornfot is available at #34 he is certainly a player to consider there.

Sheros expletives

Jan 9, 2014
Sleeper Prospect of the Day:

LD Tobias Bjornfot, Djurgarden, SWE Jr.
First off, I'd like to say that Bjornfot is not a true "sleeper", in that there is strong possibility that he is drafted in the late first round. But there's equivalent likelihood that he falls to where the Devils are drafting at #34, so I'm writing him up anyway.

Watching the IIHF USA vs. Sweden game, the Swedish defensemen who were gaining most of the pre-draft hype were Victor Soderstrom and Philip Broberg. Bjornfot has almost been an afterthought among the draft-pundit community, and this baffles me.

Bjornfot combines ideal size (6'0-185) with outstanding skates and a tool box which includes a very good shot, decent strength/physicality and admirable puck skills. His finest trait, in my mind, is his on-ice awareness -- which is extremely impressive in all three zones. While he may lack the vision to be a top-pairing D at the NHL level and the power to be a shut-down guy, he's simply an extremely mobile, smart defenseman who does everything well -- the perfect type of prospect to project into an all-situation, mid-pairing LD. Give me a team who would not want this type of player in their prospect pipeline, and I will give you the Loch Ness Monster's P.O.Box address.

While Soderstrom matches Bjornfot's speed, smarts and defensive acumen, he's a touch smaller and lacks Bjornfot's very good point shot. While Broberg is unbelievably athletic -- huge and faster than either of them -- his defensive zone awareness borders on negligible and his penchant for costly turnovers is difficult to overlook. If I had to rank the Swedish defensemen in the 2019 draft class, I would give Soderstrom the slight edge, but to me Bjornfot is far and away the best LD available. There is a reason he is wearing the C for Team Sweden right now, and if Bjornfot is available at #34 he is certainly a player to consider there.
And also his name translates to Bearfoot which is cause to draft him by itself.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I like Lassi Thomson more than Case McCarthy I think... for now...

Thomson has more offensive upside, skates better, and is also very good defensively and can hit. But McCarthy is that intimidating beast on the blueline that opposing forwards absolutely fear, and he is also a good skater with solid puck skills. It is my firm conviction that you win with either player.

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

C Yegor Spiridonov, Magnitogorsk, MHL
While watching the USA v Russia game today, it was difficult not to be constantly mesmerized by Team USA's incredible skill level. I was hoping to see the same from Russia's consensus top-5 pick Vasili Podkolzin, but he was far from the most impressive forward for the Russians. No, that guy was unquestionably Yegor Spiridonov.

I had already been high on Spiridonov, ranking him as a first-rounder when most experts have him significantly lower (see my draft rankings thread). But the more I watch him, the more confident I am that he will be a very good, two-way NHL 2C. He's got a very nice tool box: ideal size (6'3-200), great shot, strong power game, excellent defensive awareness, impressive skating ability. His intensity and compete level were certainly on display, as he won several battles against a far more talented USA team which was tossing around the far more heralded Podkolzin like a ping-pong ball.

I see Spiridonov as an ideal NHL 2C -- smart and dependable, excellent in all situations, the type of guy who can be matched up against the opposition's 1C and shut them down, while chipping in 50-60 points per year. There is a lot of Ryan O'Reilly in this kid's game. Though he is generally seen as a mid-second rounder, he could go as high as the late first or as low as the early third round.

If I'm the Devils, I don't know if I take Spiridonov at #34, simply because they are getting a center (Jack Hughes) at #1 and have several glaring needs on the blueline and the wing. But if he fell to the Devils later second round picks (right now #55 & #60), he would certainly warrant strong consideration.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Since the drama of whom the Devils are drafting in the first round is pretty much over -- hello, Jack Hughes -- I'm going to be making an effort to write up as many later round Devils draft candidates as possible. Keep in mind that the Devils have a whopping seven picks between #34 and #96 -- if even two of them become key Devils players, combined with Hughes it would make 2019 one of the most important Devils drafts in the history of the franchise. That is not even considering that the Devils have three more selections after #96 and Shero/Castron have done as well or better in rounds 5 through 7 than any team in the NHL over the past three drafts.

So, if any of you have any later-round prospects you would like me to analyze, ask me on my draft threads and I will make an effort to do so. With European draft-eligibles, you might also want to ask @thethinglonger -- he's incredibly knowledgable about them and whip-smart with his analyses.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

C Blake Murray, Sudbury, OHL
If I were to tell you that there was a 6'3-190, two-way center with 2C upside as a smart, physical center with very good skating and above-average offensive skill, you'd probably guess he would be drafted by the end of the first round. Yet, somehow Blake Murray is often ranked in the 60-80 range. He's also one of the younger 2019 draft-eligibles and scored 30 goals without much top-line time on an incredibly deep-up-the-middle Sudbury squad.

There are many skeptics who consider any picks taken outside the first round as a "crap shoot", but good scouts find the Blake Murrays of the draft as late as the third. With his combination of smarts and compete level, he's going to improve a great deal in the next couple of seasons, and should fill out to be a 6'3-210 pound monster up the middle who likes to throw his body around in the dirty areas of the ice. He needs some work on his shot and improving his acceleration and first-step explosiveness, but I would say his downside is as a physical, two-way 3C who can chip in a decent amount of offense.

The Devils are about to become very deep at C with the addition of Jake Hughes to a stable which includes Hischier/Zajac/Zacha on the roster, McLeod knocking on the door, and Talvitie just a season or two away. But if Blake Murray were still around when the Devils pick in the third round (#71 OA), it would be a very good thing for Ray Shero to give him strong consideration.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

If I were to tell you that there was a 6'3-190, two-way center with 2C upside as a smart, physical center with very good skating and above-average offensive skill, you'd probably guess he would be drafted by the end of the first round. Yet, somehow Blake Murray is often ranked in the 60-80 range. He's also one of the younger 2019 draft-eligibles and scored 30 goals without much top-line time on an incredibly deep-up-the-middle Sudbury squad.

There are many skeptics who consider any picks taken outside the first round as a "crap shoot", but good scouts find the Blake Murrays of the draft as late as the third. With his combination of smarts and compete level, he's going to improve a great deal in the next couple of seasons, and should fill out to be a 6'3-210 pound monster up the middle who likes to throw his body around in the dirty areas of the ice. He needs some work on his shot and improving his acceleration and first-step explosiveness, but I would say his downside is as a physical, two-way 3C who can chip in a decent amount of offense.

The Devils are about to become very deep at C with the addition of Jake Hughes to a stable which includes Hischier/Zajac/Zacha on the roster, McLeod knocking on the door, and Talvitie just a season or two away. But if Blake Murray were still around when the Devils pick in the third round (#71 OA), it would be a very good thing for Ray Shero to give him strong consideration.

yeah, you can never ever have too much depth down the middle. good write up, i know nothing about the guy but he sounds like the perfect player to select in the 3rd round

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Dafp

May 3, 2016
UK

Could conceivably still be there at #96 based on some of the rankings I’ve seen. Sounds like he’d be an excellent pick there.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

A)Murray's bio screams steal in the 3rd round. Young for draft class, good size, a goal heavy split.

B)I assume Murray's Sudbury team mate Quinton Byfield is a top prospect for next years draft? Led the team in scoring and doesn't turn 17 till August.

C)What about another Murray team mate in D-man Liam Ross as a late rounder? Good size, still 17, a bit below .5 ppg. Which might not be great given he is 2nd in d-men scoring. He probably had some good offensive oppurtunities.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
A)Murray's bio screams steal in the 3rd round. Young for draft class, good size, a goal heavy split.

B)I assume Murray's Sudbury team mate Quinton Byfield is a top prospect for next years draft? Led the team in scoring and doesn't turn 17 till August.

C)What about another Murray team mate in D-man Liam Ross as a late rounder? Good size, still 17, a bit below .5 ppg. Which might not be great given he is 2nd in d-men scoring. He probably had some good offensive oppurtunities.

A)I agree on Murray. I really am high on this kid. It's tough to pass on a kid with two-way 2C upside who may be available in the third round -- he checks off every tool in the tool box.

B)Please don't ask me too much on the 2020 draft (I'm busy with 2019 and trying to keep up some semblance of a life), but I can say the top 2 prospects going in will be 1)Alex Lafreniere and 2)Quinton Byfield.

C)Liam Ross is a very solid and smart stay-at-home LD with very good size (6'2-200), who has recently shown some decent offensive instincts. The knock on him is his skating, which is considered below average. With an upside as a third-pairing guy but possessing elements many teams still covet, I would expect him to be taken in the 5th/6th or 7th round. Probably not by the Devils though, Shero and Castron certainly prefer faster players with more upside in the late rounds.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

LD Jake Lee, Seattle, WHL
I've been talking up RD Case McCarthy and RD Kaeden Korczak for some time on my prospect threads, and for good reason. The Devils biggest organizational need is at RD, and they have a painful lack of physical, shut-down D in the organization. Last season, the three biggest reasons for the Devils disaster in the standings were injuries, inconsistent goaltending, and the ease with which opposing forwards would push around the Devils small/non-physical D deep in their own zone. McCarthy and Korczak both have mid-pairing upside as physical beasts who keep the puck out of their own net, while having enough skating ability/puck skills/smarts to not detract from the Devils fit, attacking style of play.

What about on the LD? In my mind the best option for that type of player in the 2019 draft is Jake Lee, who should be around in the third round, and could even last until the Devils pick in the 4th (#96 overall). Why? I have no bloody idea.

Lee is huge (6'2-215) and strong and has no problem throwing his powerful physique around to intimidate opposing forwards and separate them from the puck. I would call him the most physical LD in the 2019 draft. So, is he a big, lumbering type which teams avoid in the newer, faster NHL? No -- he's actually a very good skater who can easily keep up with skill forwards, he has solid puck skills and decent offensive ability -- maybe even enough to one day blossom into a second-unit PP player. His outlet passing and decision making with the puck can both be described as excellent.

Make no mistake about it, Jake Lee is one of the hidden gems of the 2019 draft. He has a high probability of making it, at the very least as a third-pairing, physical option on your NHL blueline. If his offensive skills continue to grow, with his combination of strength and skating he can become a 20-25 minute per game shut down force who contributes 30+ points on the scoresheet. This is the type of player the Devils need desperately, and with 5 picks between #55 and #96, it would be a very good idea for Ray Shero to call out Jake Lee's name at the podium.

Reactions: Billdo and My3Sons

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

LD Jake Lee, Seattle, WHL
I've been talking up RD Case McCarthy and RD Kaeden Korczak for some time on my prospect threads, and for good reason. The Devils biggest organizational need is at RD, and they have a painful lack of physical, shut-down D in the organization. Last season, the three biggest reasons for the Devils disaster in the standings were injuries, inconsistent goaltending, and the ease with which opposing forwards would push around the Devils small/non-physical D deep in their own zone. McCarthy and Korczak both have mid-pairing upside as physical beasts who keep the puck out of their own net, while having enough skating ability/puck skills/smarts to not detract from the Devils fit, attacking style of play.

What about on the LD? In my mind the best option for that type of player in the 2019 draft is Jake Lee, who should be around in the third round, and could even last until the Devils pick in the 4th (#96 overall). Why? I have no bloody idea.

Lee is huge (6'2-215) and strong and has no problem throwing his powerful physique around to intimidate opposing forwards and separate them from the puck. I would call him the most physical LD in the 2019 draft. So, is he a big, lumbering type which teams avoid in the newer, faster NHL? No -- he's actually a very good skater who can easily keep up with skill forwards, he has solid puck skills and decent offensive ability -- maybe even enough to one day blossom into a second-unit PP player. His outlet passing and decision making with the puck can both be described as excellent.

Make no mistake about it, Jake Lee is one of the hidden gems of the 2019 draft. He has a high probability of making it, at the very least as a third-pairing, physical option on your NHL blueline. If his offensive skills continue to grow, with his combination of strength and skating he can become a 20-25 minute per game shut down force who contributes 30+ points on the scoresheet. This is the type of player the Devils need desperately, and with 5 picks between #55 and #96, it would be a very good idea for Ray Shero to call out Jake Lee's name at the podium.

nice. i know nothing about him other than what you just said, is there an nhl comparable? that really helps me visualize

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Lee is also another young for draft year guy. July B-day I think.

Always consider that as a little more room for growth, both physically and in terms of ability.

3rd amongst d-men in scoring, though there was a 2020 draft kid from Czech Repub who passed him offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad