Prospect Info: Devils Centric 2019 Mock Draft 1.01g1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
for greene? if we’re retaining 50% (which i’m cool with) i’d want back a first round pick and either a 2nd or a mid level prospect

If that would be the get for him then I would be screaming through a bullhorn to every team in the nhl that he is available. He shouldn’t be a part of the team after this contract is up, so why not accelerate the process and help the team out in the process.

Reactions: MichaelJ and mtnet

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Second-round pick and I would do it. The team and fans all love Andy, but the Devils need to prioritize the future.

The problem with this is that if you are paying Greene not to play for you the jet result of the trade is you are paying for the assets you acquire. I don’t see ownership spending two or three million dollars to buy a second round pick. Additionally, Shero will want to have a bounce back year next year and until someone better comes along Greene is going to be part of that. It’s hard to see him moved this year for anything short of a significant overpayment.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
The problem with this is that if you are paying Greene not to play for you the jet result of the trade is you are paying for the assets you acquire. I don’t see ownership spending two or three million dollars to buy a second round pick. Additionally, Shero will want to have a bounce back year next year and until someone better comes along Greene is going to be part of that. It’s hard to see him moved this year for anything short of a significant overpayment.

Greene is apart of the problem with this team. Or do people that push this narrative not get that? Rookies making mistakes will be of more use than him with what he is now.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Shero also knows the blueline needs to be revamped in order for our team to succeed in the future.

For me, the answer is to move Lovejoy, Greene and Mueller at the deadline for future assets and give Santini and Yakovlev a huge audition for the remainder of the season. It is also crucial to note that Ty Smith is a strong bet to make the big club next year, and someone will need to give up their LD slot for him.

I also think the Devils make a splash in the UFA market with their oodles of cap room. The D I would target is Tyler Myers, the Devils sorely lack that combination of size/strength/mobility/proficiency on their blueline. I think it would be a huge improvement over this year's defense core to go into 2019-20 with something like this:

Butcher-Vatanen
Smith-Myers
Santini/Yakovlev-Severson

My3Sons

Sponsor
Greene is apart of the problem with this team. Or do people that push this narrative not get that? Rookies making mistakes will be of more use than him with what he is now.

When did I ever say he was good or wasn’t part of the problem? I’m trying to guess how Shero and/or ownership would view it. Based on past behavior (sitting Sevs and outright banishing Santini and Mueller and Yak while Lovejoy and Greene are not held accountable) I’m guessing that in Shero’s amd/or Hynes world that “competing” means doubling down on older veterans unless the younger player is easily better than the vet. In this case I expect Shero to try to compete next season and they will play Green higher in the lineup most likely than he should be and accordingly I don’t see them looking to move him and retain salary for a second round pick.

To be fair my post you responded to should have been worded along the lines of “until someone Shero and Hynes see as being better comes along”

Last edited:

My3Sons

Sponsor
Shero also knows the blueline needs to be revamped in order for our team to succeed in the future.

For me, the answer is to move Lovejoy, Greene and Mueller at the deadline for future assets and give Santini and Yakovlev a huge audition for the remainder of the season. It is also crucial to note that Ty Smith is a strong bet to make the big club next year, and someone will need to give up their LD slot for him.

I also think the Devils make a splash in the UFA market with their oodles of cap room. The D I would target is Tyler Myers, the Devils sorely lack that combination of size/strength/mobility/proficiency on their blueline. I think it would be a huge improvement over this year's defense core to go into 2019-20 with something like this:

Butcher-Vatanen
Smith-Myers
Santini/Yakovlev-Severson

I’d love to see that but as noted in response to another poster I’m skeptical Greene is moved for anything short of an overpayment. He’s the captain and Hynes keeps running him out there when he shouldn’t be. I think Mueller is probably better than Greene at this point. Greene has guile and poise but that’s about it.

So as to return these messages to the topic, thanks for your write ups and focus on prospects that fit into NJ’s draft window. Of the top ten picks, which are better/worse at skating and compete? Of the subset with good skating and high compete who has the most skill? That would be my guess as to how Shero and Castron May evaluate the top of the draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: nugg and Ripshot 43

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
We all love Andy Greene, but the Devils have two LD from next year into the foreseeable future with Smith and Butcher. And let's not ignore the very realistic chance that the Devils walk away from the 2019 draft with LD Bowen Byram.

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves would you take Byram over Kakko or is that too risky?

You have to take the best available player. I think, right now, you have to go with Kakko. The only exception would be if there are two similar players (for example, Podkolzin and Byram) in level of upside, in which case you can lean towards the more important position.

Kakko could immediately step in as the Devils second-line LW or RW next season. As much as I am enthralled with the idea of Byram in a Devils jersey, Kakko would be the pick at #2.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
And Davies....people always seem to forget about the poor guy lol

Agreed. Both Jeremy Davies and Yegor Zaitsev are legit prospects at LD (and Reilly Walsh at RD) who are often overlooked in the Devils universe. I don't think it's a stretch to say that Davies' upside is not so far removed from Will Butcher. I would not be surprised to see Shero attempt to sign Davies before next season.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Can't speak for @StevenToddIves, but if given the choice, I would take Kakko over Byram. Byram looks extremely promising but at this point Kakko is just in a higher tier of talent.

Agreed.

The first tier of 2019 is clearly Hughes, and the second tier is clearly Kakko. The third tier is where it gets close for me, but right now I'd say it's Byram and Podkolzin on top, then (very close behind) 5)Turcotte, 6)Cozens, 7)Zegras.

Reactions: My3Sons

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
You have to take the best available player. I think, right now, you have to go with Kakko. The only exception would be if there are two similar players (for example, Podkolzin and Byram) in level of upside, in which case you can lean towards the more important position.

Kakko could immediately step in as the Devils second-line LW or RW next season. As much as I am enthralled with the idea of Byram in a Devils jersey, Kakko would be the pick at #2.
Kakko would probably have to play some LW1 if we drafted him as well since Hall is not exactly the Cal Ripken Jr of the NHL.

Reactions: nugg and Billdo

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

I figured as much. Appreciate the response.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

I completely agree with BPA, but I just want to point out that Edmonton did that, and it led to problems when they kept winning the lottery where the BPA were high end forwards and they desperately needed high end D.

Not saying we shouldn't pick Kakko if he's there. Just pointing out a similar situation led to issues elsewhere in the past.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Kakko would probably have to play some LW1 if we drafted him as well since Hall is not exactly the Cal Ripken Jr of the NHL.

Not going to be a popular opinion, but this is a reason I wouldn’t be against shopping Hall if Kakko is drafted. If there are concerns about him staying on the ice, can he really be a central, high-paid player on a contending Devils team?

Last edited:
Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I completely agree with BPA, but I just want to point out that Edmonton did that, and it led to problems when they kept winning the lottery where the BPA were high end forwards and they desperately needed high end D.

Not saying we shouldn't pick Kakko if he's there. Just pointing out a similar situation led to issues elsewhere in the past.

This is true, but I think the Devils are in a better position with their forwards than the Oilers were. If they kept drafting high-end forwards, they have forwards that could then become expendable to deal for defensive help.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018

They also just didnt do a good job scouting in any of their top end draft years. pool party and nail were complete misses. They are also just a complete disaster of an organization.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
They also just didnt do a good job scouting in any of their top end draft years. pool party and nail were complete misses. They are also just a complete disaster of an organization.

Exactly, imagine where’d they be instead if they had just taken Tkachuk

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

To be somewhat controversial, my personal philosophy is not "BPA", it's more of a "Contextual BPA".

What I mean by this is essentially tier-based. Let's just say I'm the Devils picking in the second round (33 OA). On our scouting board, the BPA is an undersized LW who our scouts have rated 21st OA at a rating of 7.3 and the second player on our board is a big, fast RD who we have 23rd OA at a 7.1 rating. In this particular case, if I were GM I would draft the defenseman. It's a more important position and a greater area of organizational need, as if the Devils pipeline is overflowing in one area, it's undersized, skilled LWs (Bratt, Boqvist, Zetterlund, Gignac).

This is also why I would have drafted Ty Smith or K'Andre Miller last year, even if Joel Farabee and Grigori Denisenko were both still on the board.

Conversely, let's say I'm picking 33 OA and the best player on my draft board is an undersized, skilled LW who we have ranked 14th at a 7.9 rating, and the second best player is a defenseman ranked 23rd at a 7.1 rating. In this case, I would take the LW, due to the fact that we have him rated a full tier (0.5) over the next best player. The only other option I would consider in this particular hypothetical would be a trade-down scenario.

Personally, I always weigh Cs and D over Ws. A center can always be converted to W, not so much the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->