GDT: Devils@Canes

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
haydn fleury had himself an absolute game tonight. the thing for me is that he's always been pretty toolsy, but that goalless streak to start his career combined with him seeming terrified to make a mistake really neutered him. when he was down with charlotte during their ahl playoff run, he was a different player. you don't get drafted in the top 10 these days without having some hands to speak of and they were on full display down there. a lot of it as well is that if a player is getting skipped on shifts and doesn't get up much during a long special teams stretch, it's hard to feel the puck when you get back on. the 12 minutes of icetime he has gotten per game the last two years hasn't been a baptism by fire. i remember when it seemed like we developed justin faulk by force of will. we just threw him in there and gave him 25 minutes a night as a rookie and let him figure it out. it's been so measured and cautious with fleury by comparison. you can't really feel that good about your game when you're treated like a liability and mistakes send you back to the pressbox for 3 games. he really did well with his breakouts tonight and i even heard him on the broadcast calling for the puck in transition which seems unreal based on how timid he has been previously. something might be starting to turn on if he can keep putting together games like this one. haydn reads the newspaper.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Yea he said it was highlight goal but hopes it doesn’t happen all the time. Got to keep it simple.

so is it good or just something to cause to many passes later? Both?

The Staal line needs to keep it simple.

The Wallmark line needs to keep it simple.

The Haula line maybe don’t overthink but use your talents.

The SAT line.... Get the heck out of the way and let them roll.

speaking of lines I hope Rod lets these combos roll for a while. Seems like a good overall mix.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
haydn fleury had himself an absolute game tonight. the thing for me is that he's always been pretty toolsy, but that goalless streak to start his career combined with him seeming terrified to make a mistake really neutered him. when he was down with charlotte during their ahl playoff run, he was a different player. you don't get drafted in the top 10 these days without having some hands to speak of and they were on full display down there. a lot of it as well is that if a player is getting skipped on shifts and doesn't get up much during a long special teams stretch, it's hard to feel the puck when you get back on. the 12 minutes of icetime he has gotten per game the last two years hasn't been a baptism by fire. i remember when it seemed like we developed justin faulk by force of will. we just threw him in there and gave him 25 minutes a night as a rookie and let him figure it out. it's been so measured and cautious with fleury by comparison. you can't really feel that good about your game when you're treated like a liability and mistakes send you back to the pressbox for 3 games. he really did well with his breakouts tonight and i even heard him on the broadcast calling for the puck in transition which seems unreal based on how timid he has been previously. something might be starting to turn on if he can keep putting together games like this one. haydn reads the newspaper.

Baptism by fire worked incredibly well for Jamie McBain and Bobby Sanguinetti, too. :sarcasm: There's a reason why teams that put guys like them and a young Faulk to play 20+ minutes a night usually suck donkey balls. It's generally better for development to give players the Fleury or Necas treatment, even if it's more frustrating for fans.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Baptism by fire worked incredibly well for Jamie McBain and Bobby Sanguinetti, too. :sarcasm: There's a reason why teams that put guys like them and a young Faulk to play 20+ minutes a night usually suck donkey balls. It's generally better for development to give players the Fleury or Necas treatment, even if it's more frustrating for fans.

mcbain is a fantastic example, in my opinion, that actually more fits my point. when he first came up we gave him the world. he literally averaged 25 miinutes a night for his first 14 nhl games and produced 10 points. we put him in every chance to succeed in the subsequent 2 seasons trying to get him back to that level and it just wasn't in him. we got what was somewhere near top 4 caliber play out of him during his time here. 30 points or so per season. this is a guy that struggled everywhere else he went to even be a regular, but we gave him so much room for development that he actually looked somewhat competent for us. we invested a lot into his development and gave him chances that perhaps his play didn't warrant in an effort to see him achieve the next level in his progress towards becoming a vital piece of the puzzle. by the time we traded him at 24, we knew it wasn't going to happen. here we are approaching haydn fleury's 24th, a 7th overall pick, and we have virtually no idea what we have because we haven't made a concerted effort to find out. we gave him a lot of ice at 21 when he was incredibly raw, but in the past few years we've been pretty bad for him.

my theory with prospect development is that you should either give a player a real chance or stash them until you can do so. 25 minutes a night is excessive and was borne of our desperation to develop a defender, but to me that approach is far more effective in determining if you have a player that can eventually transcend where they are now. because in 20 minutes, you're going to get a pretty good sample over 10-15 games to determine what that projection would look like over a full season and you can operate accordingly. there's also a drastic, drastic difference in the way we handled necas vs. how we handle fleury. fleury has spent the last 2 season in purgatory between the bench and 12 minute games. right in the wheelhouse of stalled development because you're not playing enough to be confident in your game and you're not getting the invaluable time on ice to develop. it would have made more sense just to have him down in the ahl just ripping it to shreds so that we kept his confidence moving in the right direction. necas was considered for the roster for a few consecutive seasons, but it never interrupted the process of him getting the icetime he needed to develop. we sent him back to the czech league once and sent him to charlotte for the next. he didn't spend any unneeded time watching from the pressbox wondering if he would ever get back in the lineup. there was a plan there and we stuck to the plan. one would be hard pressed to look at fleury's trajectory and describe it as anywhere approaching ideal from a developmental plan standpoint. it's just not how you make a regular to do what we're doing with him.

Reactions: geehaad and NotOpie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->