Post-Game Talk: Devils beat Rangers 5-2!

Devils 3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
It's kind of funny reading the Rags board and seeing that some of them legitimately thought they were a playoff team going into this year.
So many talking heads around the league were really pumping their tires going into this season, and I still remember saying in the offseason that I just didn't quite see it, at least not yet. They absolutely got hot before the shutdown last season and put on some very strong offensive showings, but it's not like they just started having blue line issues this season out of nowhere or that they didn't already lack a lot of depth down the middle; that was all the case last season when, remember, they wouldn't have been a playoff team if not for the play-in.

But because they got to draft Laffy and because they're an O6 team that plays at Da Gahden you had the prognosticators going crazy with dreams of the Rangers becoming a contender overnight or something, even when they hadn't done anything to really address those depth issues. In a weird way, it kind of highlighted to me how some analysts approach hockey versus how they approach baseball; I think a lot of MLB reporters would've seen the Rangers last year and said "they were a non-playoff team carried a good deal by a career year from Panarin, asking him to replicate that is hard, and they still lack main roster depth"...I know, it's easier to do statistical analysis for baseball given its more 1-on-1 nature, but still, this doesn't feel like it should be terribly surprising.

It's not to say they won't improve: Laffy and Kakko will grow, they've got talent in the pipeline, etc., but I agree with what was said before, they're already paying people like they're a team that's done rebuilding, and they're simply not there yet. They get away from some of their cap issues this coming offseason, so we'll see how that goes for them, but until then I hope the Devils keep hitting them hard.

Valquette said the Rags had an 86% chance of winning during the 2nd intermission.

Lol. Tell me more about the rainbow road again.
There's only one Rainbow Road to go to for a take like that from Valquette.

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
I mean, them missing Panarin and Miller certainly helped us. Let's not get carried away just yet.
No doubt, but from our perspective, at least, we can point to not having iced Nico yet this season plus having to wait at the start of the year to get Bratt and Sami back, among others, yet the Devils have seemed like the superior team to the Rangers since pretty much the start of this year. The Rangers aren't God-awful or anything, but if they were well and truly rebuilt I feel like they'd be turning in better efforts without or without some key players than they've mostly shown this year.

...caveat that this season is short and weird and it's hard to extrapolate a lot from it, I'll grant you, so I'm not trying to say anything with supreme authority here.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
I was told the rangers rebuilt quicker than anyone :popcorn:
Sometimes a quicker rebuild isn't necessarily better.

Rf6901ba9a5bb791208bb644631f44939

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Kakko has looked pretty good even if he isn’t producing the points but the Rags have absolutely no center play with Zib struggling as bad as he is and couple that with Quinn and a shaky defense, recipe for disaster.

damn shame lol
Zib is a center and typically plays with Kreider and Buchnevich but Buch dropped in the line-up, maybe for performance (who cares). The kids are with Strome because Panarin is out so Lafreniere can play on his left wing.

What was that poster saying about the Devils being in 30th place before the game?
BEF06CB6-F7A1-42B2-BB21-2B901B6BB36A.jpeg

Oh no, I just realized now everyone is going worry about the Rangers drafting Luke Hughes.

Reactions: Blender

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I mean, them missing Panarin and Miller certainly helped us. Let's not get carried away just yet.
There’s no excusing this on the Rangers side, the statistics on Rust vs Rest are clear, teams mostly lose after long layoffs against a team that’s been playing. This is flat out pathetic for them, outside of 2nd period the Devils dominated play. And guys weren’t even feeling well.

I think Boston on Thursday going to be tough if guys are still dealing COVID related fatigue. Luckily we have several games against Buffalo coming up.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Underrated fun moment of the night. McLeod with a good legal check on a guy, Kreider coming over to talk to McLeod, and McLeod dropping the gloves immediately and being like, “oh no, if you’re coming by we aren’t talking, we’re throwing down”.

McLeod is figuring out the guy he needs to be to make it as a bottom line guy in the NHL. It’s good that he’s willing to make those adjustments.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Underrated fun moment of the night. McLeod with a good legal check on a guy, Kreider coming over to talk to McLeod, and McLeod dropping the gloves immediately and being like, “oh no, if you’re coming by we aren’t talking, we’re throwing down”.

McLeod is figuring out the guy he needs to be to make it as a bottom line guy in the NHL. It’s good that he’s willing to make those adjustments.

Agree, great moment for McLeod.

Not sure I agree on bottom line guy though. Had a very slick pass to Bastian, also had that nice pullup and sog. And dominated in the faceoff circle. Still a ways to go but there is room to grow beyond 4th line.

Devils have a bunch of guys who are big, and can skate, who didn't dominate lower levels but are now looking like they a)can play in the league and b)still have upside.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
No doubt, but from our perspective, at least, we can point to not having iced Nico yet this season plus having to wait at the start of the year to get Bratt and Sami back, among others, yet the Devils have seemed like the superior team to the Rangers since pretty much the start of this year. The Rangers aren't God-awful or anything, but if they were well and truly rebuilt I feel like they'd be turning in better efforts without or without some key players than they've mostly shown this year.

...caveat that this season is short and weird and it's hard to extrapolate a lot from it, I'll grant you, so I'm not trying to say anything with supreme authority here.
I'll acknowledge that this is an odd year, and I'll also acknowledge they are a young team, but they are pretty much in that awful range at the moment.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The craziest part about this team especially at forward is we’re going to start running into a problem where we’re benching players that don’t deserve to be benched.

I guess it bodes well for this season knowing that we can rotate bodies and give players some rest without missing a beat.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'll acknowledge that this is an odd year, and I'll also acknowledge they are a young team, but they are pretty much in that awful range at the moment.

They are very much where the Devils were at last year.

Clearly there’s some talented players on their roster, but they’re in that weird in between year where the roster make up is more of a detriment to the team than helpful. Either need to balance out the roster with appropriate players (like the Devils signing Murray/Kulikov and trading for Johnsson) and hope the kids learn from this year and take a step to fill in the gaps (basically every youngster on our team has done that so far).

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The craziest part about this team especially at forward is we’re going to start running into a problem where we’re benching players that don’t deserve to be benched.

I guess it bodes well for this season knowing that we can rotate bodies and give players some rest without missing a beat.
Ya, I mean who from last nights lineup do you want to sit right now? The most likely candidates, Merkley, Maltsev, maybe Koukk, all had very good games.

Will be interesting to see if we give guys like Hughes, Bratt, Zacha, Zajac, Palms healthy scratch nights. I think they should.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Ya, I mean who from last nights lineup do you want to sit right now? The most likely candidates, Merkley, Maltsev, maybe Koukk, all had very good games.

Will be interesting to see if we give guys like Hughes, Bratt, Zacha, Zajac, Palms healthy scratch nights. I think they should.

With the schedule so crazy, you’re going to have to sit players that are playing well and you have a good excuse to sit some veterans that are struggling.

So I think you can give some struggling veterans time off without worrying about them being offended.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Don't know if anyone else hit on it as well, but after the last game against the Rangers where we couldn't stop giving their PP chances, we play an incredibly disciplined game and don't give them any PP chances at all.

Excellent stuff!
That’s a good point and I’m very curious how it goes on Thursday with the Bruins it terms of penalties. We were sort of getting better with it, though the first Philly and Buffalo game were marred by dumb penalties. Some of the games had penalties that were whatever... (face-off violation? Ok.)

It’s hard to judge when it’s just this pathetic Rangers effort. Also, the guys who were sick were helped by the excitement and adrenaline of the first game back, fatigue could become an issue quickly.

I’m ready to come back to earth, thank goodness I didn’t have to be sensible about a loss to the Rags, instead I get to enjoy their weak rationalizations about their dumb team. #FreeADA LOL

Reactions: Nubmer6

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

In theory that sounds good and maybe in a COVID season with the schedule the way it is, it becomes feasible but load management isn’t really a thing in the NHL the way it is in the NBA. Especially for teams that are ostensibly fighting for the last playoff spot.

I’m sure guys like Tennyson, Butcher and a few of the younger forwards shuttle in and out but if we’re still in a playoff hunt in a month I find it hard to see them giving their key guys (outside of Blackwood) rest days.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
Gosh how much I missed Devils hockey. Alberts didnt really do it for me, I really missed Cangi. I know some people dont think he's not that great, but I absolutely love the guys enthusiasim, he seems like a total goof. I understand you were spoiled due to Doc, but Cangi is one of the better PBP guys in the league and I hope he beats the shit out of covid.

One aspect of this team that I love is that we rarely get outworked. I guess its not a surprise since we have a lot of young guys wanting to make a mark for themselves and also new coach to impress.

I would run this when everyone is back:

Johnsson - Hughes - Palms/Bratt
Gusev - Nico - Palms/Bratt
Zacha - Zajac - Kuokkanen
Wood - Mikey - Bastian
Shara/Merkley/Maltsev

Shara would be the odd man out unless Ruff has the balls to sit someone like Palms or Gusev if they dont pick it up soon. Zajac might not be back soon, but when he is he should be a lock. Kuokkanen has been good. Wolfpack stays. But we have a lot of games coming in short bursts, so I could see guys like Kuokkanen, Merkley, Shara, Maltsev rotating just to have fresh legs all the time.

Smith - Severson
Murray - PK
Kulikov - Vatanen
Butcher/Tennyson/Carrick
Edit: Forgot Kulikov, he's been a beast. Bye bye Butcher.

Also, with 3 points Kuokkanen left Jukka Porvari and Ilkka Pikkarainen in the dust and now has sole possession of 7th place in Devils all time scoring list among Finns. He has his eyes on Reijo Ruotsalainen next, who he trails by just one point. :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->