Confirmed with Link: Devils Acquire D Ryan Graves from COL

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkbrux

Jul 19, 2006
NJ
We acquired a player who played enough truly important minutes on a real contender to actually be a scapegoat. Thats a big step up for the Devils!

But seriously, at bare minimum, he is a quality NHLer who can play 20 minutes for us while we see how the young LHDs develop in Utica. And at best he continues to get better and maybe we resign him. But 2 years of quality play is worth a late 2nd in a "weak draft" with minimal scouting opportunities plus a marginal prospect.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Goose was a bad trade. His age, how much he would cost, and the fact that slow non-physical playmaking wingers don’t have a ton of value didn’t make him a great trade target. And we traded our own fourth 2nd in a row, cannibalizing our draft capital to ridiculous degree. It’s the 35th pick (the 34th pick really, in this draft). If you’re trading your 2nd two years down the road because you already just traded the previous two 2nds after you just ended the year with the 3rd worst record, you’re delusional and throwing valuable draft capital on short term bs.

I always called Goose a bad trade, even when he was playing well. I bought his damn jersey (which I now get to treasure forever), hey, it was tough season and he was entertaining, but it was still a bad trade.

The Subban trade gave up ridiculously high 2nds, 2019 34th and 2020 37th. We would have three high end prospects with these picks. Would they have all hit? I’m not saying that, but that’s a place where chances are still a lot better.

God damn, I can’t stop myself from endlessly ranting about these 2nds, when I’m dead people will make out my spectral figure at future NHL drafts sobbing and whispering “where are my four 2nds, who took them from me…”

Point being. I don't think trading the Isles 2nd in the 60s is bad value or the reason we are still bad. Trading 2nds that would be in the 30s or 40s for guys like Goose and Subban (when we aren't really ready to win now. Subban on a better team could have worked) was bad

Last edited:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
you do realize we have plenty of devils fans who have completely false opinions of our own players too right?

Yes. Just like I realize some stats can make a player look a lot better than he is, and vice versa. Hence the comment of moderation.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
the subban and gusev trades didn’t work because hall didn’t regain his form. we know he was good enough to carry the team to the playoffs at one point and shero hoped he could get them back and have a few more weapons this time. did not work out at all but that’s the way the cookie crumbles

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
yeah I am sure he was worse than Dan Renouf and Jacob MacDonald

some of you Avs fans are so over the top here. Reminds me of Devils fans with Severson.

To be fair, those guys have seen him play virtually all his NHL games.

Remember when fans of all teams were interested in Miles Wood based on the stats/highlights without understanding the player holistically?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Remember when fans of all teams were interested in Miles Wood based on the stats/highlights without understanding the player holistically?

like I said, its the same thing with Devils fans and Severson. There is still a large contingent of our fanbase that thinks he sucks.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Miles Wood is a lot different because he is a forward. I said it in this thread but the median fan reaction to a defenseman is 'frustrating'. Almost no one is unequivocally good. I remember when I wanted the Devils to trade Niedermayer for a top line forward in 2002 - I didn't think he was bad, but he was frustrating. If you as a fan don't recognize that, you'll have a hard time ever liking a defenseman who isn't HOF level, and everyone your team trades away will be 'bad'

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Miles Wood is a lot different because he is a forward. I said it in this thread but the median fan reaction to a defenseman is 'frustrating'. Almost no one is unequivocally good. I remember when I wanted the Devils to trade Niedermayer for a top line forward in 2002 - I didn't think he was bad, but he was frustrating. If you as a fan don't recognize that, you'll have a hard time ever liking a defenseman who isn't HOF level, and everyone your team trades away will be 'bad'

It's a different case but forwards are much easier to judge without watching all games they're playing, however Miles Wood is just an example of being misjudged due to the fact that people making judgements didn't watch enough of him, and for defensemen watching a lot of their games is even more important.

Some defensemen may be "frustrating" but my point that, usually, fans have a better judgement of their own defensemen than fans of other teams still remains.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Again, not really true.

Graves played poorly in the Avs playoff series against Vegas so a lot of Avs fans have some sort of vendetta against him

Reactions: Smitty426
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad