Post-Game Talk: Devils 6, Penguins 3 - Penguins Hate On @ScandaleduJour on His Birthday

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just like the Steelers.

Playing down to the comp all year long.

The Pens are nothing like the Steelers other than they play in Pittsburgh. They have an owner who is giving all the resources to win. They have a culture of accountability. They have success and met expectations of a HOF duo.

I absolutely despise the attempts of people saying the Pens are like the Steelers and/or Sully is like Tomlin. No way.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
iced by the cellar dwellers again 0-3 NJ
0-1 FLYERS
0-2 SENS
0-2 BLHAWKS
1-1 LAK (OT)
1-9 against the bottom feeders
still have 4 games remaining NJ 1 and flyers 3
is it possible the pens could go 1-14
giving up a possible total of 28 points in the standings to these crap teams is ridiculous!!!!!!

That’s crazy then we are 15-7-4 against playoff teams. They are playing mind games against themselves.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Funny how the same excuses never apply to our players according to you.

Anyway, I can find many more examples but why bother, you will counter with some more insults for our "brainless" players and disappear when the Pens start winning.

It amazes me how people always say "you don't show up after they win" as if to stick it to me. It's almost as if I couldn't come simply when I feel like it, and had to meet someone's expectations and follow patterns as to when and why I'm supposed to post here.

Weird.

Reactions: EightyOne

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Pens culture is way better than the disaster the Steelers have created. That being said it’s frustrating to play down or not bring it vs bottom dwellers. Sully seems very frustrated this year in the fact that he’s not seeming to get across to the larger group.

Reactions: ncm7772

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
best part of this game is i didn't bother to watch. was working late, saw the score and was like welp here comes another penguins-devils special...

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
I don't agree there. "Good" is defined as making the playoffs and if they hold their ground, they will make the playoffs as a "good" team but far from great. If they can make a few minor adjustments to the roster and start working as a collective unit on defense, then they can become a great team. If they become a great team, they have a solid chance at winning the stanley cup. And i know a lot of people live in negativity, but they really aren't that far away from being a Cup contender. That actually is the frustrating part of losing these games to last place teams.

Barely making the playoffs is far below "good" for a team with so many highly paid world class players and so much champion's pedigree. In my opinion.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Phil Kessel is 1st in points (equal with Malkin) over the last 1.5 seasons when we are trailing (2nd at ES behind Geno).

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

tumblr_p371r6YlUQ1wvvyspo6_r1_400.gif

Well then I don't know how it happened that Pens have so many losses this year and are currently balancing on the fringes of the playoff picture. Everybody's playing so great! Everybody is so valuable and can't be traded! There's noone to fault except maybe Jack Johnson!

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Well then I don't know how it happened that Pens have so many losses this year and are currently balancing on the fringes of the playoff picture. Everybody's playing so great! Everybody is so valuable and can't be traded! There's noone to fault except maybe Jack Johnson!

I didn’t say anything about the other stuff you are talking about. Just saying that your posts about Phil don’t line up with the stats.

Everybody isn’t playing great. That’s why we are in a slump. A trade or two will help but mentally the team needs to get back on track so February doesn’t turn out like November did.

Reactions: BillPrep

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
GMJR either gets away from the cup run mentality and actually change the dynamic or they decline. Pens have to retool the roster and gain flexibility cap wise and quit signing players due to the fact you have no one else to compete. Malkin either comes back to form or move him and his cap hit. But this can't continue if the Pens are to go forward in free agency and draft selections.

Moving Malkin Will be a lot more complicated than you appreciate.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Barely making the playoffs is far below "good" for a team with so many highly paid world class players and so much champion's pedigree. In my opinion.

But barely making the playoffs is the norm for the team JR originally constructed and the one he deconstructed a cup champ into.

For all the identity talk, the Pens 'identity' was supposed to be about becoming a team that is and plays fast. When we've been that, we won cups. When we've gotten away from that, early in JR's tenure and now, where it's been about grit and an immobile defense, where the Pens look and play slow compared to much of the league, the warts show.

Reactions: Andy99

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
In this game, the mobile Letang was just as bad, if not worse, as the rest of the D, though.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Because it doesn't fit your narrative of "don't touch the superstars, I have a soft spot for them!"?

No because secondary assists hold no more or less value and are a metric derived from the analytics crowd who went overboard.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
No because secondary assists hold no more or less value and are a metric derived from the analytics crowd who went overboard.

Secondary assists have less value than goals and primary assists. Come on now.

It's far more likely that the primary assist was the pivotal pass/shot that made the goal happen. I'm sure Sid, Geno and Phil's numbers are quite fine in the primary assists category, at least for their careers.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
No. Keep everything as it is, miss the playoffs, or get KO'ed in the 1st round at best, and spend the summer saying "Let's hope next year will be better".

Kessel is not a problem.

Yes, things have to be changed. No major changes are required though. We opened cap space by trading Oleksiak away. Brassard will probably unloaded as well. That will give us assets AND cap space to add an impact forward at the deadline (if a deal can be reached). On D, they could also trade away Maatta to open space and acquire another D, but they won't. Schultz is coming back.

So, in a nutshell, you are looking at two deadline acquisitions: another forward (a real 3C or a top-6 LW, it is a cap world, we won't get both) and Schultz coming back.

Not trading Phil doesn't mean standing still.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
iced by the cellar dwellers again 0-3 NJ
0-1 FLYERS
0-2 SENS
0-2 BLHAWKS
1-1 LAK (OT)
1-9 against the bottom feeders
still have 4 games remaining NJ 1 and flyers 3
is it possible the pens could go 1-14
giving up a possible total of 28 points in the standings to these crap teams is ridiculous!!!!!!

Glass half full response: At least we won't have to worry about facing any of those cellar dwellers in the playoffs, so we should be fine once we get there. :sarcasm:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Kessel is not a problem.

Yes, things have to be changed. No major changes are required though. We opened cap space by trading Oleksiak away. Brassard will probably unloaded as well. That will give us assets AND cap space to add an impact forward at the deadline (if a deal can be reached). On D, they could also trade away Maatta to open space and acquire another D, but they won't. Schultz is coming back.

So, in a nutshell, you are looking at two deadline acquisitions: another forward (a real 3C or a top-6 LW, it is a cap world, we won't get both) and Schultz coming back.

Not trading Phil doesn't mean standing still.

Actually, the Pens have the coin and the assets for a 3C and a L2 LW. I've been talking up Tierney and Dzingel as one stop shopping, but truth be told, if JR stands pat on defense, he can go bigger than that.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
It amazes me how people always say "you don't show up after they win" as if to stick it to me. It's almost as if I couldn't come simply when I feel like it, and had to meet someone's expectations and follow patterns as to when and why I'm supposed to post here.

Weird.

No one is questioning your autonomy, they're saying you appear to enjoy complaining about the team more than you enjoy just watching them. Sports is supposed to be enjoyable, particularly when you root for a team that's as successful as ours.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Secondary assists have less value than goals and primary assists. Come on now.

It's far more likely that the primary assist was the pivotal pass/shot that made the goal happen. I'm sure Sid, Geno and Phil's numbers are quite fine in the primary assists category, at least for their careers.

Since they hold more value then perhaps the NHL should award 1.5 "points" for every goal and .5 points for every secondary assist, no?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Since they hold more value then perhaps the NHL should award 1.5 "points" for every goal and .5 points for every secondary assist, no?

The NHL can do what it wants. If you think the average secondary assist is as valuable than the average primary assist, you're willfully ignorant.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Doesn't matter. Pens aren't getting any tier of assist as long as nobody scores.

Reactions: ncm7772

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Doesn't matter. Pens aren't getting any tier of assist as long as nobody scores.

The bigger issue is that other teams are getting too many assists - mostly the all-important secondary assist - as the Penguins team defense is a trainwreck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad