Post-Game Talk: Devils 6, Penguins 3 - Penguins Hate On @ScandaleduJour on His Birthday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Might as well get that thought out of your head. They're going to have to battle just to make the playoffs.

Not trying to be purposely negative, you sympathizing folk, just my opinion based on observing them this season.

We're totally on the same page here, pal.

I said last spring that that was our last chance for another Cup in this generation of players, and going forward the team was going to get worse and worse.

And in response I got accusations of being a troll and passionate assertions that this team still had a few cup runs left in them.

That's how it works on this board.

Last edited:

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
So the good news is if we keep losing, we’ll be a last place team and then we won’t need to worry about losing to last place teams anymore because we can’t lose to ourselves....

On a more serious note, at this point I'd rather tank for Hughes. They won't get anywhere in playoffs anyway, even if they make it.

But then again, with this management and coaching staff, they would keep Hughes in minors for a few years anyway, then give him 5 min a game with Cullen and Wilson and bench him after a single mistake, then trade him away for a 6th/7th D-man of a late round pick.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
I respect those who still get fed up and angry, but I can't muster it up. That 3rd Cup in this era really made me realize how ****ing amazing we have it. And I get it.. it's not an excuse for how this team is playing. I respect that. I just can't muster it up.

Apparently, Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang and Murray feel something similar to you, and that's why they are playing the way they are.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Bruh.. I disagree with EVERYTHING in this post. Trade Horny? Jesus no. And I can't tell you how many times i've heard the Pens need a major shakeup. They just need a couple minor adjustments on the roster and a couple adjustments schematically. That's what they actually need.

The difference between good and great is a very very very small margin. The Pens need to find it, that's for sure. But they do not need some major overhaul.

They aren't even good now. The core has lost it's fire and motivation. They have tuned out the coaches. They don't care. The culture in the locker room needs a major shakeup. In the situation where the team pays no attention to coaches, managers, owners, fans and media, the only way to execute said shakeup is through a big trade or a series of trades.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
We always got those 16 and 17 DVDs right Cole! I agree it’s tough to hate these guys too much because of all they have accomplished. That being said this current group is playing nothing short of pathetic.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Last night reminded me of the game against San Jose. The team looked completely overwhelmed against a team that had 6 road wins all year long.

It makes me wonder..

Other teams similarly built like the Pens find ways to make the Devils look like an AHL team. Is it really just the player's efforts or horrific game planning and no strategy?

One other thought: If this is the Geno we have going forward, is there a point in which it might be time to move on or look for an alternative? I don't think that was Geno's worst game of the year, but whatever is going on there hasn't ended.

IDK

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
I worry about trading Kessel simply because he does put up quite a few points. It would be hard to replace that production and come out ahead in a trade. I'd also never move Malkin, even with how bad he looks right now. He's number one earned the right to finish his career as a Penguin if he wants to, and number two he could easily bounce back even if not this year and be dominant again. Yes he's getting older but he should have 3-5 years still (or more) of good to elite production.

Letang can't go either since our d without him would be abominable. So for me the only big piece you could move is Kessel. And I'd worry about doing it.

After June 2017, he only puts up easy points in easy games. Every time the opponent musters up any semblance of resistance, his 6,8 mln are a dead weight on our salary cap structure.

Kessel needs to go. His time is done.

Reactions: TheGuiminator

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
The only thing that rescued Sid from his Mike Johnston rut was firing the coach.

Or, he was straight away tanking the coach?

I wonder might that be Geno and Phil chasing Sully out of town right now?

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
I must have imagined his hat-trick against Vegas and four points against the Islanders this season.

You mean, against Vegas while they were having a very slow start of the season, and on top of that were in the middle of a long east coast trip?

You mean, against Islanders, when he had a secondary assist on the 1st goal, and then 3 more points to make the score 4:1, 5:1 and 6:2 (real hard and important ones, indeed)?

If your answer is yes - then my point stands.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
My big takeaway from the Devils' recent success against the Pens is that their talented guys aren't the ones getting on the score sheet. Rather, their role players - the guys who do the basic but necessary stuff - are the difference-makers. Meanwhile, the Pens are either relying on fancy plays or not showing up at all. Not saying the team is doomed, but they have to change their approach to snap this skid. They can improve their fortune.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
After June 2017, he only puts up easy points in easy games. Every time the opponent musters up any semblance of resistance, his 6,8 mln are a dead weight on our salary cap structure.

Kessel needs to go. His time is done.

He had 43 points in 37 games against playoff teams last season. That’s a 95 point pace against tougher competition.

Edit: Plus 30 points in 28 this season so a total of 73 points in 65 games in the time frame you mention at a 92 point pace against playoff teams.

Your story doesn’t check out.

Last edited:

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
You mean, against Vegas while they were having a very slow start of the season, and on top of that were in the middle of a long east coast trip?

Funny how the same excuses never apply to our players according to you.

Anyway, I can find many more examples but why bother, you will counter with some more insults for our "brainless" players and disappear when the Pens start winning.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
GMJR either gets away from the cup run mentality and actually change the dynamic. Pens have to retool the roster and gain flexibility cap wise and quit signing players due to the fact you have no one else to compete. Malkin either comes back to form or move him and his cap hit. But this can't continue if the Pens are to go forward in free agency and draft selections.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
GMJR either gets away from the cup run mentality and actually change the dynamic or they decline. Pens have to retool the roster and gain flexibility cap wise and quit signing players due to the fact you have no one else to compete. Malkin either comes back to form or move him and his cap hit. But this can't continue if the Pens are to go forward in free agency and draft selections.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
He had 43 points in 37 games against playoff teams last season. That’s a 95 point pace against tougher competition.

Edit: Plus 30 points in 28 this season so a total of 73 points in 65 games in the time frame you mention at a 92 point pace against playoff teams.

This just in: players score more against worse teams.

Except Phil, he scored more against playoff teams last year, trade him.

Anita L

Jan 29, 2019
iced by the cellar dwellers again 0-3 NJ
0-1 FLYERS
0-2 SENS
0-2 BLHAWKS
1-1 LAK (OT)
1-9 against the bottom feeders
still have 4 games remaining NJ 1 and flyers 3
is it possible the pens could go 1-14
giving up a possible total of 28 points in the standings to these crap teams is ridiculous!!!!!!

Reactions: EightyOne

Angrrus

May 24, 2017

If I really wanted to get into an argument with you, I would've researched how many of those were secondary assists, how many of those were on PP, and how many of those were scored when Pens were already a few goals up or a few goals down, and the outcome of a game was already out of question.

Or I would've reminded how (ir)relevant he was when it really mattered - in playoffs.

But whatever.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
If I really wanted to get into an argument with you, I would've researched how many of those were secondary assists, how many of those were on PP, and how many of those were scored when Pens were already a few goals up or a few goals down, and the outcome of a game was already out of question.

Or I would've reminded how (ir)relevant he was when it really mattered - in playoffs.

But whatever.

Phil Kessel is 1st in points (equal with Malkin) over the last 1.5 seasons when we are trailing (2nd at ES behind Geno).

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

tumblr_p371r6YlUQ1wvvyspo6_r1_400.gif

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I just tire of the excuses. It’s ok to just admit that the team isn’t very good right now, no need to make excuses.

I predicted early in the game last night that the excuses would be flowing if they were losing or lost and right on cue, Jay and Mears and Bibs were yakin about the week off and rust and this and that.

Look, I get it, they all work for the Pens and need to put a positive spin on everything for the casual fans and whatnot. But most of us here can see that something is wrong with this team and it’s not rust from a long layoff or simply because JS or ZAR are out. Nobody needs to piss on my leg and tell me it’s raining.

Reactions: Angrrus

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
iced by the cellar dwellers again 0-3 NJ
0-1 FLYERS
0-2 SENS
0-2 BLHAWKS
1-1 LAK (OT)
1-9 against the bottom feeders
still have 4 games remaining NJ 1 and flyers 3
is it possible the pens could go 1-14

So we mostly lose to teams who won't make the playoffs? Great, so we will mostly win in the playoffs because those teams won't be there. Plan the parade!

Reactions: EightyOne

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

But whatever.

Can we ban the phrase "secondary assists" here?
Please?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
They aren't even good now. The core has lost it's fire and motivation. They have tuned out the coaches. They don't care. The culture in the locker room needs a major shakeup. In the situation where the team pays no attention to coaches, managers, owners, fans and media, the only way to execute said shakeup is through a big trade or a series of trades.

I don't agree there. "Good" is defined as making the playoffs and if they hold their ground, they will make the playoffs as a "good" team but far from great. If they can make a few minor adjustments to the roster and start working as a collective unit on defense, then they can become a great team. If they become a great team, they have a solid chance at winning the stanley cup. And i know a lot of people live in negativity, but they really aren't that far away from being a Cup contender. That actually is the frustrating part of losing these games to last place teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad