Post-Game Talk: Devils 3, Pens 1 - Party on Wayne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
you said in your previous post that positioning only matters on D. to me, thats laughable, but going by your logic what do you care if he's on LW or RW then?

Because defensively, the LW and RW have different responsibilities. In our system, the LW is usually the high forward in the neutral zone when the puck is coming back toward our defensive zone, and the RW is the one who has the free rein to forecheck. I'd rather have Kovy forechecking than being part of the defensive line at the blue line.

Also, as others have noted, positioning Kovy on the right side makes the breakout easier for everyone.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
i can guarantee 95% of the board wants him kept where he's at. we're in first! duh! keep him there! nobody here tends to look at the big picture, or the MISSED POTENTIAL, so they'll go RW. whatever

But now you have a thread dedicated to this very particular subject where you'll might voice your opinion at will. ;)

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Missed potential? How much better you think he could do than last year, when he was at RW the whole year, and put up 85 points in the regular season, another 20+ in the playoffs? Are we really 'dissapointed' he's not a 110-point player (which he never was in Atlanta, I think his high was like 98). So it's missed potential cause he had a few dry games to start this year, when he was there all of last year?

He should be on the left/left center more during the power play, that's it. But the power play itself has been working in recent games, so whatever.

They're not trying to constantly setting it up for his one-timer anymore and left or right, he looks free to be all over the blue line... Maybe Kovalchuk is turning into a true QB under this shoot first PP system ? With 20.8% efficiency it's working indeed.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
They're not trying to constantly setting it up for his one-timer anymore and left or right, he looks free to be all over the blue line... Maybe Kovalchuk is turning into a true QB under this shoot first PP system ? With 20.8% efficiency it's working indeed.

And it's not like the Devils are getting supremely lucky either, they're shooting at a league average percentage (although the league average is a little high right now and will come down). They're just generating a reasonable number of shots for the first time I can remember.

Now if only they could stop taking so many ******* penalties.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
However, we have a similar proportion to last year of PP to PK, just last year we were at the very bottom of the scale for both, and this year we're top 10 for both.

Wonder if that's just flukey, or a conscious change in style. If we're confident of our PK at an 85%+ clip and figure we can get 15+% on the PP, and you figure the the number of penalties taken and drawn is related (and I think they most certainly are), then you want to spend more time on special teams especially if the team doesn't appear to be elite at ES.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Because defensively, the LW and RW have different responsibilities. In our system, the LW is usually the high forward in the neutral zone when the puck is coming back toward our defensive zone, and the RW is the one who has the free rein to forecheck. I'd rather have Kovy forechecking than being part of the defensive line at the blue line.

Also, as others have noted, positioning Kovy on the right side makes the breakout easier for everyone.

I don't see Kovy doing the F1 forecheck more than anyone else on his line. Last season Parise played LW and did the F1 routinely.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I don't see Kovy doing the F1 forecheck more than anyone else on his line. Last season Parise played LW and did the F1 routinely.

Maybe it's just my perception, but I see him first in the zone much more than Matteau on the forecheck. When Zubrus is in it might be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->