Post-Game Talk: Devils 3, Penguins 1 - The Sully is a Moron Edition (And **** Guerin Too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
A difference in d-zone starts of 46.5% for Schultz and 48.9% for Letang does not explain a +/- swing of 18.

A solution to this that everyone should support would be to curb Letang's minutes when he looks like hot garbage and bleeds goals-against. He sure as hell shouldn't be getting the 5th most minutes in the entire league when he's struggling like this, but there he is.

One can be both a Letang fan and admit that he's been a big problem so far this year. Articles that feature Letang talking about it aren't materializing out of thin air. Is the man himself biased/misguided about his level of play this season too?

I don’t think defending Letang versus the constant criticism he gets here is not saying he is struggling. Someone said we should trade him for Gallagher and Byron. People act like he is single handidly losing games.

Look at the majority of people focusing on Letang when Maatta / Schultz was clearly our weakest pairing last night.

It is fine to assess Letang as being off this season, but don’t turn around and act like Schultz saved us after returning because of his play.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I don’t think defending Letang versus the constant criticism he gets here is not saying he is struggling. Someone said we should trade him for Gallagher and Byron. People act like he is single handidly losing games.

Look at the majority of people focusing on Letang when Maatta / Schultz was clearly our weakest pairing last night.

It is fine to assess Letang as being off this season, but don’t turn around and act like Schultz saved us after returning because of his play.

One person did and many followed up with that it was a terrible proposal.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I don't think Schultz has been playing his best either. But I do think he's been better than Letang, who has a handful of "WTF" moments every game where you wonder why he can't just make the simple play instead of a goofy low percentage play in a danger area, like he did multiple times last game (and I outlined on the last page). I don't see Schultz impotently waving at pucks in the air at the blueline multiple times a game, putting us on the PK/giving up prime scoring chances because of it.

Letang's been a liability both because he's struggled and because Sully refuses to temper his minutes accordingly until he gets his shit together.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I realize last night stunk, but man, some of you people need to just chill. One game. They've been playing well, backup goalie, back end of a b2b with travel, coach didn't dress the best possible lineup. Not the end of the world.

This isn't a Cup team, and people need to realize that. They aren't going to win every single game. At the very least, they're playing better. Just breathe, folks. One game.

Reactions: Peat

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yeah, that was not a good proposal by me. :laugh: Middle of the night, boredom-driven, no real thought given. Apologies.

But I do think, assuming Letang continues his putrid play for the rest of the season, that sort of return is closer to the one we'd get should we move him than the insane, king's ransom type of stuff we all want. His injuries and his terribly inconsistent play is going to have a pretty detrimental effect on his value whether you, I, or anyone else wants to admit it. I really do wonder if his potential for elite play every once in a blue moon is worth missing out on adding several pieces to this flawed roster, as well as getting out from his contract (which, to be fair, looks less shitty as the cap continues to go up, but still isn't a good one).

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Also... while I hate the whole "Blame Sully/Rutherford for forgetting everything!" mentality, the concept of calling up ZAR so you could promote Kuhnhackl was a really weird one that had my heart sinking from the get go. Sometimes there's really nothing else to say. If ZAR deserves a promotion he deserves something better than that line and if Kuhnhackl deserves a promotion I know nothing of hockey... which is mostly true tbh, but I know more than that!

This is all pretty much perfect.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Also... while I hate the whole "Blame Sully/Rutherford for forgetting everything!" mentality, the concept of calling up ZAR so you could promote Kuhnhackl was a really weird one that had my heart sinking from the get go. Sometimes there's really nothing else to say. If ZAR deserves a promotion he deserves something better than that line and if Kuhnhackl deserves a promotion I know nothing of hockey... which is mostly true tbh, but I know more than that!

Sully and JR deserve as much rope as they can get for the last couple years but it is now a mega red flag that Kuhn/Reaves/Rowney are dressing in February. It's downright insane. I'm very disappointed as we were a team that was unstoppable built on speed/skill. Now we are trying to roll that out with those 3 and ZAR dressed? Insanity. Absolutely insane.

It's disappointing. I am very disappointed that we are in February and this is happening and I cannot figure out why in the blue hell this team, of all the teams, would even flirt with the idea of dressing heavy players.

How can you win 2 Cups and then do this? How does that make any sense.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The Kuhn on Geno's wing thing was just... Weird. Why? I get that he has some underrated skill with the puck and he was originally drafted as a scoring line guy, but he's just simply not good enough to be on a top line. ZAR is, potentially, the future. Put him in a position to succeed and let him play/develop/learn through the growing pains. He surely wouldn't have been as bad a choice as Kuhn. Same goes for Sprong. That kid's got the potential to be a fantastic goal scorer, but Sully's got him playing scared hockey and has only driven that idea home by benching/demoting him instead of allowing the creativity and flow of the kid's game.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
I realize last night stunk, but man, some of you people need to just chill. One game. They've been playing well, backup goalie, back end of a b2b with travel, coach didn't dress the best possible lineup. Not the end of the world.

This isn't a Cup team, and people need to realize that. They aren't going to win every single game. At the very least, they're playing better. Just breathe, folks. One game.
I think some of the frustration stems from the fact the if we had signed bonino and didn’t trade for reaves we’d probably be undefeated this year

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sully and JR deserve as much rope as they can get for the last couple years but it is now a mega red flag that Kuhn/Reaves/Rowney are dressing in February. It's downright insane. I'm very disappointed as we were a team that was unstoppable built on speed/skill. Now we are trying to roll that out with those 3 and ZAR dressed? Insanity. Absolutely insane.

It's disappointing. I am very disappointed that we are in February and this is happening and I cannot figure out why in the blue hell this team, of all the teams, would even flirt with the idea of dressing heavy players.

ZAR replaced a heavy player in the line up in Horny. One of Kuhn and Rowney was in the line up for both Cup wins. We had heavy not so great skating players in the line up in Fehr and Kunitz.

There's always been some size and aggression in our team. There's always been some guys who weren't fantastic skaters. I don't see how that having four heavy slower guys rather than three is a big issue.

Having a whole line of them? Big issue. Having a bunch of them who have no business above a 4th line? Big issue.

But its quality and usage, not type.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I think some of the frustration stems from the fact the if we had signed bonino and didn’t trade for reaves we’d probably be undefeated this year

The unfortunate thing is, I truly believe there are some fans that honestly believe something along those lines.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Kuhn-Cullen-Fehr was our 4th line in the 16 Final when we looked our best the past couple years.

I wouldn’t call Fehr much more fleet of foot than Reaves. That line was being used to eat up defensive minutes and score a goal here and there.

To me the issue is the center. And JR is doing what he can to solve that. And getting Sheary and PH back.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Kuhn-Cullen-Fehr was our 4th line in the 16 Final when we looked our best the past couple years.

I wouldn’t call Fehr much more fleet of foot than Reaves. That line was being used to eat up defensive minutes and score a goal here and there.

To me the issue is the center. And JR is doing what he can to solve that. And getting Sheary and PH back.

Fehr, for as vanilla as he is, had skill. Cullen is Cullen. Kuhn that year was not just a shot blocker piece of trash.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Fehr, for as vanilla as he is, had skill. Cullen is Cullen. Kuhn that year was not just a shot blocker piece of trash.

You’re talking about youth and speed being something Sully is gojng away from.

I’m just saying that we had a washing up Eric Fehr, Kuhn and a 40 year old on our 4th line when we looked our best.

Take a step back and realize Cullen carried our 4th line the last couple years. We need to find a center better than Rowney more than anything.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
You’re talking about youth and speed being something Sully is gojng away from.

I’m just saying that we had a washing up Eric Fehr, Kuhn and a 40 year old on our 4th line when we looked our best.

Take a step back and realize Cullen carried our 4th line the last couple years. We need to find a center better than Rowney more than anything.

Reaves has never produced ever though. He has 1 playoff point. He’ll never see much ice time so others have to pick up the slack. He hits and that’s about it.

Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
XXXX-XXXX-Kessel
Sheary-Cullen-Rust

4th-ish for Cullen
Sheahan, 1st, + for 3C
A pick/prospect/Hunwick for physical LW.

Get rid of Kuhnhackl, Reaves cap trade or waive. Rowney stays as #13.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Reaves has never produced ever though. He has 1 playoff point. He’ll never see much ice time so others have to pick up the slack. He hits and that’s about it.

Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
XXXX-XXXX-Kessel
Sheary-Cullen-Rust

4th-ish for Cullen
Sheahan, 1st, + for 3C
A pick/prospect/Hunwick for physical LW.

Get rid of Kuhnhackl, Reaves cap trade or waive. Rowney stays as #13.
TBH I think Sheahan holds more value to us then he would in a trade. I prefer we keep him but hopefully as a 4C. I'd use other assets to get a good 3C. If we get Cullen then we'd have five centers which affords us more versatility come playoff time. I'd like us to get a righty if possible for faceoffs. Maybe Ryan if he's available.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
We seemed to have moved past talking about last night's game, so let's move the discussion to more appropriate threads. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad