Value of: Devils 2021 1st Round Pick

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
With the Devils currently in a slide in the standings I'm wondering what our 1st round pick can fetch us this year if moved for a player. Baring the pick being not a top 3 lotto pick the Devils would be interested in a young established top 6 forward or legitimate top 4 d man. Lets here your best offers. Also willing to tinker with picks like adding other picks/prospects/cap dumps etc. The base of the trade needs to be the pick and a player in return.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
With the Devils currently in a slide in the standings I'm wondering what our 1st round pick can fetch us this year if moved for a player. Baring the pick being not a top 3 lotto pick the Devils would be interested in a young established top 6 forward or legitimate top 4 d man. Lets here your best offers. Also willing to tinker with picks like adding other picks/prospects/cap dumps etc. The base of the trade needs to be the pick and a player in return.
It would only make sense to get a really good cost control player on a good contract. But then it wouldn’t make sense for the other team selling that player either.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Derps

Jul 1, 2018
It would only make sense to get a really good cost control player on a good contract. But then it wouldn’t make sense for the other team selling that player either.

Exactly -- we are not going to get what we are looking for with just that pick.

We still need an influx of top end talent. A top 7-8 pick is a good way to do that. After this upcoming draft, we can start talking about trading away picks for established players, but I don't think the prospect pool (at the top) is where I'd want it if I was a GM. Which Im not, so.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Depends where it ends up. Dumba has been our best Defenaman this year and is probably going to have to go due to expansion and spends d-core, so I’d move him for it. If it’s in the 7-12 range it’s probably fair value straight up. If it’s higher than that keep the puck. Lower than that, we’ll want more.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Depends where it ends up. Dumba has been our best Defenaman this year and is probably going to have to go due to expansion and spends d-core, so I’d move him for it. If it’s in the 7-12 range it’s probably fair value straight up. If it’s higher than that keep the puck. Lower than that, we’ll want more.

I'm also interested in Mercer if there's a deal to be made there, or sending Greenway to the Devils for something, if they'd rather have him.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Pearson at 50%, Chatfield and 2023 5th round pick for NJ 2021 1st round pick and equal to Pearson 1 year dump

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I'm also interested in Mercer if there's a deal to be made there, or sending Greenway to the Devils for something, if they'd rather have him.
Lol greenway? the ask would be rossi

we are not traded mercer or our first this is crazy talk

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
in an ideal scenario brandt clarke.

devils aren't in a position to offer their first round pick in a trade and protecting it would make the matter worse, as the 2022 draft currently looks stronger than the 2021.

stay the course. build through the draft. use the cap space to add assets on the cheap. a stellar, young rhd (prospect) won't be made available.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Lol greenway? the ask would be rossi

we are not traded mercer or our first this is crazy talk
the devils had the option to draft rossi. they preferred holtz. i don't think, they would move this years first for rossi under any circumstances. rossi wouldn't help to qualify for the po, which seems to be the goal of op. an exchange of futures only makes sense, if the return is something, which the prospect pipeline and nhl roster is severely lacking or you can acquire on the cheap. rossi isn't the first and a potential lottery pick isn't the second.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
I don't want to comment on a value but from the strategy point of view, there's zero point in moving that pick given how young and far from contending our core (Zacha, Smith, Hughes, Bratt, Hischier, Blackwood) is. Draft and develop. It's going into the right direction, why ruin it?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I don't want to comment on a value but from the strategy point of view, there's zero point in moving that pick given how young and far from contending our core (Zacha, Smith, Hughes, Bratt, Hischier, Blackwood) is. Draft and develop. It's going into the right direction, why ruin it?
so far we aren't even sure, if all this names part of the core are.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
so far we aren't even sure, if all this names part of the core are.

Sure but if they're not, it forces us to wait even longer, in which case established veterans bring zero value and draft picks become even more important.

Anyway, the only way it would somehow make sense for us would be Laine/Dubois situation when young very good player wants out and his team would actually accepts futures. But I don't remember such trade happening in the last decade. Maybe Kessel would fit a mold? But that trade backfired for Toronto...

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Target Arizona. With them losing their 1st this year by illegally holding their own combine and wasting their 1st pick this past draft (4th rounder)on a problem child, they may be looking at picking up an extra pick this year to make up for it.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Depends on where it is.

very much just spitballin because it makes very little sense on our side... but if it was ~5th overall, would you swap it for Guentzel?

Not that Pens would or should entertain that but I’m curious if that’s the type of return the Devils want.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
the devils had the option to draft rossi. they preferred holtz. i don't think, they would move this years first for rossi under any circumstances. rossi wouldn't help to qualify for the po, which seems to be the goal of op. an exchange of futures only makes sense, if the return is something, which the prospect pipeline and nhl roster is severely lacking or you can acquire on the cheap. rossi isn't the first and a potential lottery pick isn't the second.
No rossi is what it would take for mercer not our first which was brought up. I have zero interest in trading either. Mercer might end up more valuable than either holtz and rossi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad