Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
they can still be unhappy campers, asking for trades, playing with less than maximum effort. try to imagine a less physical engaged nylander. tough task.

Why would they ask for a trade if they were unhappy with their contracts? It's not like a new team means a new contract.

And are there any indications that they are unhappy with anything at all?

I'm just trying to figure out where this stuff is coming from with regards to these two. They played hardball in contract negotiations with Toronto and won. I'm not sure where the other stuff is coming from. An I missing something, because I'm not aware of anything like that

Reactions: Darkauron

imMagnum

Jan 10, 2017
5 potential trade destinations for Laine

TheScore posted some greasy Laine trades. The Devils proposal wasn’t shabby though. Wouldn’t do the Sevo trade. I’d definitely do a retained Subban + Van 1st + Zacha though.

The Jets used to be stacked on RD with Buff/Trouba/Myers. Weird that position is a need for them now.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

TheScore posted some greasy Laine trades. The Devils proposal wasn’t shabby though. Wouldn’t do the Sevo trade. I’d definitely do a retained Subban + Van 1st + Zacha though.

The Jets used to be stacked on RD with Buff/Trouba/Myers. Weird that position is a need for them now.
I wouldn't, possibly for nothing retained on Subban. But even then, I wouldn't be that excited about it.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

I’d have to think a retained Subban is still worth significantly less then Severson to most team. So you’d have to add something pretty big.

imMagnum

Jan 10, 2017
I’d have to think a retained Subban is still worth significantly less then Severson to most team. So you’d have to add something pretty big.

I’d agree on the value. I’d take a current contract Sevo over a 50% retained Subban any day.

I think this trade comes down to how the Jets view Zacha. Do they see him as a young, defensive minded C with upside? Or do they see him as a bust who could never live up to his potential? I’m personally still on the Zacha hype train.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I'm 100% on board with this. I've been in that camp since his name started surfacing. He wouldn't cost any assets besides money and term so I'd give him a 4-5 year deal for sure although I know there are plenty here will say he's too old.
And can probably help Bahl when the time comes. I'd like Zads from the Avs as well!

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Why would they ask for a trade if they were unhappy with their contracts? It's not like a new team means a new contract.

And are there any indications that they are unhappy with anything at all?

I'm just trying to figure out where this stuff is coming from with regards to these two. They played hardball in contract negotiations with Toronto and won. I'm not sure where the other stuff is coming from. An I missing something, because I'm not aware of anything like that

Nylander negotiations boil down to what Papa wants

According to this, it was his dad driving the bus. The article suggests that every contract for the dad got messy and there were apparently whispers that the dad was a selfish player. Is it true? I don't know. Does it impact the impression people will have of the son? Probably for some folks. I would be concerned if a disgruntled former player got to get his "revenge" by mucking up his son's contracts. Unless I could meet with the dad and evaluate that issue I'd be reluctant to acquire Nylander. He's not the guy you trade for unless you want to keep him long term and if he's determined to have the fantasy moment of complete UFA at the youngest age possible it doesn't suggest a real buy in from the player. I don't mind a player saying he wants to get paid but I do expect buy in and for some guys you just don't get the buy in even if they get paid. If he is one of those guys I'd just as soon not trade real assets for that guy.

Winning requires "try hard" guys and skilled guys that care enough to do the little things that help. There's a reason TB paid a premium for Coleman. I don't doubt for a minute that his performance in the playoffs against them from two years ago impressed them and his play since then has only gotten better at a dirt cheap salary. I'd rather have a Coleman than a Nylander, although that's just my thought and others may believe differently.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Nylander negotiations boil down to what Papa wants

According to this, it was his dad driving the bus. The article suggests that every contract for the dad got messy and there were apparently whispers that the dad was a selfish player. Is it true? I don't know. Does it impact the impression people will have of the son? Probably for some folks. I would be concerned if a disgruntled former player got to get his "revenge" by mucking up his son's contracts. Unless I could meet with the dad and evaluate that issue I'd be reluctant to acquire Nylander. He's not the guy you trade for unless you want to keep him long term and if he's determined to have the fantasy moment of complete UFA at the youngest age possible it doesn't suggest a real buy in from the player. I don't mind a player saying he wants to get paid but I do expect buy in and for some guys you just don't get the buy in even if they get paid. If he is one of those guys I'd just as soon not trade real assets for that guy.

Winning requires "try hard" guys and skilled guys that care enough to do the little things that help. There's a reason TB paid a premium for Coleman. I don't doubt for a minute that his performance in the playoffs against them from two years ago impressed them and his play since then has only gotten better at a dirt cheap salary. I'd rather have a Coleman than a Nylander, although that's just my thought and others may believe differently.

I'm not concerned about the contract stuff, but again, that's a personal thing and I don't mind players treating it like a business and a job. I can definitely see how people would be concerned about the son given the reputation of the father when he was a player. I wasn't aware of his rep from an on ice and teammate standpoint, so I get how that colors the view on William, especially when he's shown to be soft in the playoffs.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'm not concerned about the contract stuff, but again, that's a personal thing and I don't mind players treating it like a business and a job. I can definitely see how people would be concerned about the son given the reputation of the father when he was a player. I wasn't aware of his rep from an on ice and teammate standpoint, so I get how that colors the view on William, especially when he's shown to be soft in the playoffs.

Part of the problem is that we as fans only get the part of the story that is reported. The teams have much more to work with in terms of relationship and attitude. If TOR moves on from Nylander that suggests to me that where there is smoke there is fire. It can be overcome. I think Hall was a problem child when younger and Ray got him to shake that and grow up a bit and an MVP season resulted. I like to think Nylander will shake any influence from dad as he matures and achieve his full potential whatever that might be. He is skilled and should be a core player at some point but right now for better or worse he has baggage.

Reactions: Forge

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
One year lotto ticket on Bobby Ryan who we can trade at the deadline if we can't put it together?

Hard pass. We don’t need guys who are borderline fringe players. Let’s not go the bargain bin route when we have several youngsters who can be as good and even better.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

If that’s the proposed deal, we would be foolish to pass on such a steal.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

no thanks.

See my post in the News Around the League thread about why I wouldn't make that trade.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
If that’s the proposed deal, we would be foolish to pass on such a steal.

Not disagreeing, but who will play defense for us? The lucky seat winner? I would do Subban 50% retained in place of Severson, but I don't think Winnipeg would. Honestly though, if that's on offer you probably have to do it, even if it's Severson. You just don't get many chances to add a player like Laine.

Reactions: Guttersniped

MikeyFlynn

May 29, 2019
no thanks.

See my post in the News Around the League thread about why I wouldn't make that trade.

If you wouldn't do Severson/Subban + 20th overall + Zacha for Laine that is incredibly foolish.

However, I would find a way to retain Zacha and replace that value with somebody like Boqvist. Zacha is a very important part of the future here.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If you wouldn't do Severson/Subban + 20th overall + Zacha for Laine that is incredibly foolish.

However, I would find a way to retain Zacha and replace that value with somebody like Boqvist. Zacha is a very important part of the future here.

first of all, Severson and Subban have drastically different values. Even Subban at 50% is not nearly as valuable as Severson is.

Second of all, some of you guys are so obsessed with Laine and its kind of weird. The dude is an elite goal scorer, no questions asked. The rest of his game stinks to high heaven and he is going to want a huge contract. I am not on board with gutting our potential tradeable assets on top of needing to pay $9-10 million per year for a player that is not a DMan.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
One year lotto ticket on Bobby Ryan who we can trade at the deadline if we can't put it together?

Hes toast.

I wouldn’t sign him as I don’t see him as a viable top 6 option anymore and that’s what our team needs. More top end talent and the spot he could potentially be taking would be one that a young player should be placed in.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
The main piece going the other way would be Severson. Yes, he’s our best dman with Subban but he’s by no means an untouchable, especially not if we’re adding a 22 year old sniper like Laine.

Ty Smith would be our 2nd/3rd pairing dman on the right side. We still need some help on the left side of our defence anyways, so that move doesn’t change much in our attempt to add better players so we can bump Butcher down to the 2nd and ideally the 3rd pair.

There’s several options that can had by way of trade or free agency to bolster our blueline and having a foundation of Hischier, Hughes, Laine, Bratt, Smith, Blackwood and our 7th overall pick would be sick. All of those players are 23 years old or younger, which is exactly what Fitzgerald said when talking about adding players that fits our young core.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
first of all, Severson and Subban have drastically different values. Even Subban at 50% is not nearly as valuable as Severson is.

Second of all, some of you guys are so obsessed with Laine and its kind of weird. The dude is an elite goal scorer, no questions asked. The rest of his game stinks to high heaven and he is going to want a huge contract. I am not on board with gutting our potential tradeable assets on top of needing to pay $9-10 million per year for a player that is not a DMan.

He’s a scoring machine and that’s what you pay a 22 year old kid who can light the lamp about 40 times a year. I’m not comparing the two players, even if they do have similarities, but Ovechkin wasn’t know for his overall game for the first 10 years of his career and became a more complete player under Trotz.

Labeling someone when they’re 22 is way premature.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
That Laine trade is fine value wise but who the f*** is going to play defense for us? Put me in the camp that wants to use our assets on a defenseman

There’s no top pairing dman on the market outside of Pietrangelo who’s looking to test the market. Severson isn’t a top pairing and we can add someone like him via a trade or free agency. Smith can be a solid replacement as well and let’s not kid ourselves, we’re probably 2 to 3 years away from making some noise anyways.

We’ll find someone to play defence, there’s no denying that but we don’t have to fix all our issues this offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad