Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Watching NHL tonight, it seemed the big question is if La Freniere and Jack Hughes are allowed by their NHL teams to participate in the World Juniors. If the NHL is pushed back to say February. I hope our guy Hughes gets to go. This year’s talent is incredible. Canada alone has 21 first rounders on their start up roster. I believe it would be good for Hughes and of course team USA. I’m excited for this tournament. We get to see Holtz and our big Russian defenseman.

I'm really looking forward to the WJC's. If I'm not mistaken, it looks like we could have up to 9 players in tournament:

Locks: Holtz, Mercer, Mukhamadulin, Gritsyuk, Pytlik
Good Chance: Moynihan, McCarthy
Possible: Hughes, Clarke

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackjack

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I'm really looking forward to the WJC's. If I'm not mistaken, it looks like we could have up to 9 players in tournament:

Locks: Holtz, Mercer, Mukhamadulin, Gritsyuk, Pytlik
Good Chance: Moynihan, McCarthy
Possible: Hughes, Clarke

Would love to see Hughes there tearing it up, but I really don't think he goes. Not sure if there is any benefit to him going other than getting some live game action

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Would love to see Hughes there tearing it up, but I really don't think he goes. Not sure if there is any benefit to him going other than getting some live game action

Yeah, unfortunately I can't see him going either. I would personally like to see him go, especially since I'm not expecting much out of NJ's season. Blackhawks are allowing Dach to go, as long as it doesn't interfere with the NHL season, so hopefully NJ does the same. These are high-level games that would probably do more for him than camp or pre-season games.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yeah, unfortunately I can't see him going either. I would personally like to see him go, especially since I'm not expecting much out of NJ's season. Blackhawks are allowing Dach to go, as long as it doesn't interfere with the NHL season, so hopefully NJ does the same. These are high-level games that would probably do more for him than camp or pre-season games.

The WJC is at a lower level than any NHL preseason game. More competitive, sure. Played at a higher pace? Questionable. And certainly much lower skill.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
NHL preseason games are meaningless... it's a scrimmage, which is nothing more than glorified practice. You have guys on the ice who are literally interested in nothing more than breaking in a new model skates while getting 20 or so shifts. Then there are like 3 or 4 guys trying to prove they belong and whole bunch of guys just trying to find their timing.

That said...with a new coach, a new GM and presumably a new philosophy...I think Hughes needs to be in New Jersey and not in a junior tournament.

Preseason is much more than just the games...it's a time to build cohesion, cohesion with teammates and the coaching staff, a time to get comfortable with your linemates and build the closeness that is necessary. You hear vets talk about good past teams as a "close-knit group"...That starts in training camp. That process of a team coming together is probably the most important part of preseason and I personally think that process is more important for Hughes than the WJC.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Ruff is going to need time to teach the players how he wants them to play. The Devils will presumably get extra preseason time to work it out. Hughes really needs to be there and the WJC is strictly worse development.

However, it seems the season will start well after the WJC. Getting in extra practice and game work done beyond the limitations of the CBA would be great.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Zero desire to see Hughes go to WJC. Him clowning kids younger then him at a level he dominated pre-draft is a waste of time.

The players are limited in the amount of preseason/team practice they can get due to the CBA. Why wouldn't you want him to get extra work in that gives him an advantage over the rest of the league?

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
The players are limited in the amount of preseason/team practice they can get due to the CBA. Why wouldn't you want him to get extra work in that gives him an advantage over the rest of the league?
I guess it depends on whether the WJC overlaps with training camp. Also, you have to hope he doesn't pick up any bad habits playing against lesser competition.

Reactions: glenwo2

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

You assume that it gives him an advantage. I don't think playing with players well below his level and playing against players incredibly below his level is worth his time at this point in his career.

Reactions: glenwo2

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Playing 5-7 more games is not an exponentially increased risk to get hurt there as he would be in 65 pro games here. Especially since it’s not a given the NHL plays this season. Even if they did it almost certainly isn’t gonna be an 82-game season. Might as well get him used to a ‘normal’ season worth of games.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
It's not about injury, it's that Hughes has had to unlearn stuff that worked against the very players he'd be playing against (and with). There's no reason to expose him to that low level of skill ever again.

It's still a high level of hockey that he'd be playing on a line with guys that are probably a year away from the NHL (or will get a taste at the end of the season). Maybe there's a few moves he could get away with there that wouldn't work at the NHL level, but if he were to play I doubt there's really any lingering effect on his game. After a rough rookie season, it could build some confidence for him - but I also understand why most would rather not see him go.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's not about injury, it's that Hughes has had to unlearn stuff that worked against the very players he'd be playing against (and with). There's no reason to expose him to that low level of skill ever again.

Which is a different, more valid argument. But citing injury as a reason for him to avoid the WJC’s is just silly, especially since you don’t have goonery there and it’s not 2000 where you’re worried about saving him for a 100-game season.

Reactions: HBK27

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
As much as I'd like to see USA destroy everyone with Hughes and win a gold medal, I also think it's a terrible idea to send him for all the reasons stated already.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
The injury concern is overplayed, but I agree that I don't want Hughes to go.

I like that he has a chip on his shoulder. Jack was a prodigy, and hockey came effortlessly. (Obviously, he put in the work, but his raw talent was dominant.) For the first time, he's facing adversity, and it's happening on the biggest stage imaginable. He should be focusing on his NHL game and proving himself to his teammates and his new coach (and himself).

Reverting to effortless hockey and putting up 4 points per game would be a distraction.

Jack has to become a man.

Reactions: Darkauron

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We also shouldnt be giving hughes more chances to get covid too..

Considering it's in Canada I'm sure the players and staff will get quarantined when they arrive and then go in a bubble for three weeks, no? Especially considering they're more careful about protocols than some other countries (including ours) to the point where they booted the Blue Jays out of Toronto for 2020 and the Raptors this upcoming season.

Shoot he'll be more likely to get COVID sitting around here for two more weeks than going there.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Considering it's in Canada I'm sure the players and staff will get quarantined when they arrive and then go in a bubble for three weeks, no? Especially considering they're more careful about protocols than some other countries (including ours) to the point where they booted the Blue Jays out of Toronto for 2020 and the Raptors this upcoming season.

Shoot he'll be more likely to get COVID sitting around here for two more weeks than going there.

Players on team Canada WJC already have covid too so.. already not a good start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad