Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Severson at his contract (which has 4 seasons left on it) will be more valuable than Trouba and whatever his next contract is.

Who knows if Trouba would even be open to signing a long-term contract extension here.

I would love to acquire Jacob Trouba. But not if Severson is part of the deal.

Would you guys do Sami Vatanen + Mike McLeod for Jacob Trouba + Dmitry Kulikov? Would Winnipeg? Vatanen gets very underrated on these boards. He is a perfect #3 defenseman on a contender. Would slot in wonderfully behind Byfuglien as their 2RD.

EDIT: Another point worth noting - Trading for Trouba is tricky because we have no idea what kind of contract he will command. If the Devils were to pull the trigger on a trade, I would want the extension and dollar amount already in place. That could effect the return back to Winnipeg as well.

Last edited:

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Severson at his contract (which has 4 seasons left on it) will be more valuable than Trouba and whatever his next contract is.

Who knows if Trouba would even be open to signing a long-term contract extension here.

I would love to acquire Jacob Trouba. But not if Severson is part of the deal.

Would you guys do Sami Vatanen + Mike McLeod for Jacob Trouba + Dmitry Kulikov? Would Winnipeg? Vatanen gets very underrated on these boards. He is a perfect #3 defenseman on a contender. Would slot in wonderfully behind Byfuglien as their 2RD.

EDIT: Another point worth noting - Trading for Trouba is tricky because we have no idea what kind of contract he will command. If the Devils were to pull the trigger on a trade, I would want the extension and dollar amount already in place. That could effect the return back to Winnipeg as well.
There is no way Winnipeg does that. McLeod has very little value and Vats only has 1 year.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Severson's contract is also pretty nice.

I think when you compare someone like Trouba to Severson there isn't all that much difference... definitely not the difference Trouba is going to want with his next contract.

You aren't getting Trouba for 4.1 for the next 4 years like you have with Severson.

That would be even more exaggerated with any UFA, like Myers, who I don't think is as good as Severson.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'd sooner pay Karlsson a ton of money than trade what it took to get Trouba. I'd sooner trade valuable assets to get Trouba than attempt to get Myers.

Here's the thing. I want no part of Karlsson. I have no interest in trading anything for Trouba. That's how little I want Myers.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I'd sooner pay Karlsson a ton of money than trade what it took to get Trouba. I'd sooner trade valuable assets to get Trouba than attempt to get Myers.

Here's the thing. I want no part of Karlsson. I have no interest in trading anything for Trouba. That's how little I want Myers.

Because Tyler Myers isnt that good yet for some reason people have this urge to want him which I do not understand. Especially if Severson is gone. It's almost criminal how much a lot of this board undervalue Severson while overvaluing other RDs.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Severson's contract is also pretty nice.

I think when you compare someone like Trouba to Severson there isn't all that much difference... definitely not the difference Trouba is going to want with his next contract.

You aren't getting Trouba for 4.1 for the next 4 years like you have with Severson.

That would be even more exaggerated with any UFA, like Myers, who I don't think is as good as Severson.

Trouba is a way better all around player then Severson and that’s why he’ll get paid and Damon got the deal he got.

I would be thrilled if we were able to flip both guys with us even having to add a pick or a prospect.

We’ve been completely horrendous in our own end. The lack of muscle and fight from our blue line is the first thing that comes to mind when analyzing our porous D zone coverage and unfortunately Severson is the weakest link.

Trouba is more physical and can do what Severson does offensively, if not better. The contract he’d be getting would add about 3M$ to our current cap, but that’s the least of our worries.

Reactions: Brooklyndevil

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Myers is tall and had a really good rookie season, that's literally it.

Buffalo, the only team with a worse defense than us the past 5 years, BUFFALO traded him and now Winnipeg can't wait to let him walk.

He's not good. He has decent shot, but he's soft and a very awkward skater. He gets outmuscled far more than a 6'7" man should. Decent PP guy, but why do we need one of those when we already have Butcher, Vatanen, and Severson?

Someone is going to give him a lot of money and immediately regret it.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Trouba is a way better all around player then Severson and that’s why he’ll get paid and Damon got the deal he got.

I would be thrilled if we were able to flip both guys with us even having to add a pick or a prospect.

We’ve been completely horrendous in our own end. The lack of muscle and fight from our blue line is the first thing that comes to mind when analyzing our porous D zone coverage and unfortunately Severson is the weakest link.

Trouba is more physical and can do what Severson does offensively, if not better. The contract he’d be getting would add about 3M$ to our current cap, but that’s the least of our worries.

tenor.gif

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

He's not.

Trouba is no stud in his own end. I really feel like Trouba is being overrated.

Severson also signed 2 years ago at 22 years old. Trouba is already 25. Not really sure why we're comparing the contracts in that way.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
There is no way Winnipeg does that. McLeod has very little value and Vats only has 1 year.
Sami @50% retained ($2.4M)
A conditional 2020 pick if he does not resign with WPG
Mcleod or Santini/Jacobs
One of our 2nds this year (Nsh pick preferred)
Gives the Jets more stability that they get something. We give up Sami who is replaced by JT with retention (only money this year)
Conditional pick next yr, if your getting a #1 RHD you cant complain.
The second is a sweetener to keep him from going to NYRs etc
Santini/Jacobs one will be the bottom pair guy on the right, the other there is no room for (remember Carrick is here too)
Mcleod to put it over (although I'd like to use him in a pkg for Brodin)

JT has to sign though
It's overpayment but not by much and worth it imo
1 Trouba
2 Severson
3 Santini/Carrick/Jacobs

Anything less and I think other teams put up a stronger offer. Shero has to make a big splash here.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Sign this forward and sign that one. Yet, when it comes to a number one defenseman, some don’t want to give up anything. They must love being Edmonton 2.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
If Vatanen and McLeod are the main pieces going back for Trouba, I do that 1000 times out of a 100. But WPG won't take that deal.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
He is a RD and can play top 4 minutes.

Handedness is the only similarity between the two.

If you think Myers is an adequate "replacement" for Severson, I have no idea what to tell you. That's a horrible, misguided opinion.

Myers sucks. The fact that WPG is letting him walk, while also on the brink of losing another RHD in Trouba, should tell you all you need to know.

If Myers is a guy who can seamlessly "replace" and slot into a top-4 role, why wouldn't the Jets just keep him?

Reactions: Oneiro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad