Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
It would be really bad for us if the NHL starts going lax with the officiating again like they did in the 90's and allow the random muggings I've been watching in the finals to become commonplace. Hughes would get killed out there until he puts on some muscle.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
You're getting on people for projecting NHL players possible development then demanding we hold onto every prospect and draft pick like it's the end of the world. It's a bit contradictory, no? Prospects and draft picks are even less proven than current NHL players. For all we know almost any prospect could be 'just a depth guy' too. You gotta take chances somewhere, in some way to get better. You can't just draft, draft, draft and not trade or sign FA's at all. And even just drafting involves projection, as much as trying to find undervalued guys around the league.
Im not advocating keeping all our prospects. Im against trading our little amount of d-prospects for yet another forward.

Someone commented Walsh for Roslovic (which IDET gets it done) and I wouldnt even do that. We have a whopping two prospects after Smith who have some meaningful value as of today on defense. We cant be moving from our absolute weakest position for an unnecessary acquisition.

I dont see the need but if people want him badly enough move a pick for him - which idt Winnipe accepta if people are hyping him this much

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
How does Eberle get 7 and Lee gets much less?
Because Eberle is a better player. He's hit +50 points five times and gotten as high as 76 points, with a career PPG of 0.70.

Lee is a good player, but his best seasons have been very goal heavy splits with pretty high shooting percentages (17.8, 19.2). And he's only hit +50 points three times with a career PPG of 0.60.

Lee is the better goal scorer but Eberle is the better overall offensive player, by a pretty fair margin.

upload_2019-6-7_15-59-11.png

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Im not advocating keeping all our prospects. Im against trading our little amount of d-prospects for yet another forward.

Someone commented Walsh for Roslovic (which IDET gets it done) and I wouldnt even do that. We have a whopping two prospects after Smith who have some meaningful value as of today on defense. We cant be moving from our absolute weakest position for an unnecessary acquisition.

I dont see the need but if people want him badly enough move a pick for him - which idt Winnipe accepta if people are hyping him this much

We have Severson who's still 25 at the start of next season, Butcher who's 24, Ty Smith, Jeremy Davies, whatever we draft this year with our 'ten' picks...how many young defensemen (who mostly have a similar skillset) do we really need to hoard? I like Walsh too but sometimes you gotta take a calculated risk and it's not like our forward core is set in stone either.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I personally think we need some sort of physical presence both on D and at forward.

I don't know how to solve it but I agree

They are pushovers all too often and liberties go unacknowledged

Skill and physicality are in short supply, maybe if Canes don't extend Ferland?

Reactions: Aethon and mdj12784

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Well, there you go, you know that Greiss's reflexes weren't better. You have no idea what kind of coaching the goalies received or what flaws in their games might've been fixed. And I'm not a goalie coach guy, I don't really believe that goalie coaches do a whole lot other than keep a goalie's ability where it is.

You usually give me a good exit point from these discussions and this is a good one. This is a completely absurd conclusion to make. How the **** do you know that? How in the world can you make that claim without any evidence at all? You have NO EVIDENCE. You are just SAYING THINGS.

And somehow always your 'just saying things' is supposed to make more sense - and everything is black or white.

Your only "knowing" of things is:
"Hey look, his SV% was this, and now it is THIS - so he's been a better goalie."

Do you see how narrow, and exclusive to thought this is? It implies a cause-effect that just isn't there. All of your assertions are built on this empty air.

Again - I put forth: What is more likely: 3 run-of-the-mill goaltenders get great goalie coaching and SUDDENLY find themselves, or they go from terrible defensive teams to those who's play is beneficial to goalie success? I think Greiss and Halak alone make a pretty strong case that the Islanders of 2017-18 were a terrible defensive team and that they vastly improved in all areas - but.. hey, just go against pretty much every professional opinion out there to cling to your stat.

indfin

Jan 4, 2010
See my response to Triumph above.

If Hughes and the kids growing were enough then would not be still saying the things he is saying.

I think "Hughes and the kids growing" might be enough ... but not until after NEXT season (when Hughes actually plays and you see if there is growth elsewhere on the roster). Understandable that he might feel that way ... why commit now if you are counting on continued development of several key players to determine if the team is "competitive" enough (in your mind)?

The issue is whether the Devils are willing to wait and hope he is "impressed" enough to re-sign.

Could make a good argument for holding off on anything until (close to) the trade deadline. Gives everyone more time to take stock of where the team is and, if they are out of it (which, barring injuries, likely means that there wasn't significant development), the # of teams that might be interested could be much higher (as cap may be less of an issue at that point). If they are out of it, you give Hall your best/final offer and, if he doesn't want to sign, you trade him and move on.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Hockey news suggesting a Trouba for Severson and picks trade.

I don’t see the point in that at all

Similar levels imo but different players so maybe that’s why the Devils would do it. I’d prefer to hold onto Severson (trade another D) and have him and Trouba as 1RD and 2RD.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I personally think we need some sort of physical presence both on D and at forward.

I agree. That’s why I wouldn’t mind Lee, who at the very least is hard nosed or Miller from Tampa. Always liked him even when he was a Ranger. As for defense, it’s hard to figure out. Not many available and Trouba will probably cost a fortune.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
And who the hell called Jack Roslovic a "proven player"?

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why certain posters create narratives, project them onto other posters, and then bash those other posters for saying something that you created yourself.
Holy pot calling the kettle black.

I was just saying roslovic, while not a project, is not proven. I certainly wasn't bashing anyone.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Trouba is better than Severson, but it still leaves us with the same issue on the left side.
I think it is fair to say Trouba is better, but Trouba also has a history of missing a lot of game due to injury. And Sev's will likely be 2-3 million dollars cheaper for the next 4 years.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It was a suggestion they thought made sense.
It does make some sense for us in that we get a guy who is more accomplished, and we have the cap space for his new deal.

It doesn't make sense in that, while we have needs, this is a bit of an upgrade at a spot that we are solid at. Also doesn't make sense in that Sev's is one of the least tradeable guys we have. Smith for Trouba makes more sense imo, though I'm sure people would dislike that trade.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
It was a suggestion they thought made sense.

I think the guy you give up in a Trouba deal is Vatanen, not Severson. Vatanen is likely entering his final year as a Devil, but offers enough quality as a RD that Winnipeg would still be able to go into next year as a contender without a hole to fill at Trouba's position.

The Devils would of course need to add to that deal, Vatanen alone won't do it. But he is a more attractive piece than either Philadelphia or Detroit could offer as a replacement RD to Trouba, and thus might lower the cost of picks/prospects to acquire Trouba.

Why not offer Vatanen/McLeod/Mueller/Boston's 2nd-rounder for Trouba and see what happens? If nothing else, it's enough to start the dialogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad