Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Not sure why everyone is so down on Lee. He’s a leader who is wonderful In front and around the net which is something we are lacking in a major way at the moment. He’s productive and has been for a while. He’s physical which is also something we lack upfront. I get everyone might be worried about term or money but hey when you fish in FA you almost always over pay for to long that’s just the game.

He doesn’t take many but he is also serviceable on FO. Maybe we can overpay him on a a short deal. The only issue would be term.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Lee is a good player yes.But his shooting percentage is very too high so he is going to get way OVER paid.

Its high because he get his goals from the blue paint. He isnt a shooter, hes either tipping pucks in or jamming them home. He has 102 goals over the last 3 seasons. Most of which are him near or in the blue paint. Thats his game hes not a skate down and shoot the puck player. He will cycle and grind down low get in front of the net and bang it home. We have guys who will skate and shoot in the top 6 we dont have someone who will do what Lee brings.

EDIT: Also helps that he is big and tough and a leader, put him with Hughes he will protect him and help him out a lot, Hughes skates with the puck Lee will open up a ton of space and be in front for those nifty little passes backdoor or just around the net.

EDIT 2: I get the advanced stats but sometimes there needs to be context with them, Lees shooting % should have an asterisk next to it.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
i mean hes freshly turning 29. a hypothetical five year deal would bring him to just turning 34. i think hed be a perfect fit for our team.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Lee is a garbage man, good for rebounds/tips and down low shots. Not much else. Isn't very good defensively, doesn't generate offense himself. He's a lesser Gionta. Not how I want to spend 6M a year.

Reactions: Blender

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
Its high because he get his goals from the blue paint. He isnt a shooter, hes either tipping pucks in or jamming them home. He has 102 goals over the last 3 seasons. Most of which are him near or in the blue paint. Thats his game hes not a skate down and shoot the puck player. He will cycle and grind down low get in front of the net and bang it home. We have guys who will skate and shoot in the top 6 we dont have someone who will do what Lee brings.

EDIT: Also helps that he is big and tough and a leader, put him with Hughes he will protect him and help him out a lot, Hughes skates with the puck Lee will open up a ton of space and be in front for those nifty little passes backdoor or just around the net.
Living on Long Island and watching a lot of Isles games with friends and family, this is exactly right. I'm not saying we should go out and sign him but I wouldn't be upset if we did. We could use a player like Lee.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
I cant see Lee signing here - the whole loyalty card and now he cant get what he wants from Lou, I doubt hed go across the river and sign here

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I wouldn't touch Lee for what he is going to cost and the term he will want. Just another Matt Beleskey type signing.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Well, maybe not young .. but not an old player by any means.

No, it's not old. But generally speaking it's about the time production starts to dip for players. I certainly don't think Lee is going to fall off a cliff in the next couple years, but I think you need to consider it when you're talking a 6-7 year contract. It's basically the same situation as JVR last year.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Lee is the type of player who will sign with the team who is willing to add the extra guaranteed year or 2. So if we get him, we should be prepared for at least a 6 year deal which I am fine with. We need more depth and we need more top 6 guys so we aren’t hoping for Zacha’s to show enough chemistry is camp to start the season with him at LW2 (I’ve said this myself). If Zacha proves he belongs there than Lee lines up with Zajac and Coleman. Talk about a playoff line to give other teams fits.

Lee-Zajac-Coleman

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
Lee is a garbage man, good for rebounds/tips and down low shots. Not much else. Isn't very good defensively, doesn't generate offense himself. He's a lesser Gionta. Not how I want to spend 6M a year.

We're going to have plenty of players who do. When you have that, guys like Lee are exactly the players you want complimenting them and making space for them. Fully capable of 30+ a year.

With guys like Hughes, Hall, Bratt, Nico around the perimeter on the PP, and Palmieri and Subban firing cannons toward the net, I'm not sure there's a more ideal player available you want in front than Lee.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Not sure why everyone is so down on Lee. He’s a leader who is wonderful In front and around the net which is something we are lacking in a major way at the moment. He’s productive and has been for a while. He’s physical which is also something we lack upfront. I get everyone might be worried about term or money but hey when you fish in FA you almost always over pay for to long that’s just the game.

Love him as a player currently but he does fit in that (frequently overused) meme of 'OMGZ he's going down an elevator shaft during his contract meme with the game he plays'.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

FA isnt perfect those types of players dont become FAs. There are a few wingers Id love to have on this team, Im going to knock one of them but I would love for use to sign him and thats Nyquist, hes a good hockey player, but to me he is more of the same. Smaller with nice hands and very good vision and playmaking ability. Would i take him 100% i would. But we have that in Hall, Nico, Hughes, and Bratt in the top 6. We have 1 shooter in Palmieri, we have 0 guys who play physical and are hard to deal with.

My point is to round out the top 6 ideally you want a shooter or someone like Lee. I dont see the shooter out there, I see Lee who fits the other big physical guy who can score. There might be a couple other guys who come close to that but offer a little bit more but lack offense. People are hoping for guys like Hartman or Donskoi who have potential if they are given expended roles but we dunno how that will work. But laugh at a guy like Lee who has proven to be a good NHL forward. Hell, Donskoi have 45 goals his WHOLE NHL career. Hartman has 42.

This is also about showing a certain left winger that we are not kidding around. You shouldnt make moves just to make 1 player happy but i would guess a guy like Lee Subban and Hughes being added would sure make him think even more.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I love how the people saying Lee sucks were the same people complaining that we didn't get JVR last year, when they're literally the same player, except Lee is better

JVR signed for $7m per, but no one here would want Lee for $6? Get lost

So what should we do? Put Zacha as our 2LW?

:help:

Reactions: MilwaukeeDevil

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I love how the people saying Lee sucks were the same people complaining that we didn't get JVR last year, when they're literally the same player, except Lee is better

JVR signed for $7m per, but no one here would want Lee for $6? Get lost

So what should we do? Put Zacha as our 2LW?

:help:
Boqvist.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I wouldn't touch Lee for what he is going to cost and the term he will want. Just another Matt Beleskey type signing.

Joke this is a joke right? Beleskey had 1 season and got paid for it. He has a career of 76 goals, CAREER! Lee has 102 in the last 3 season and he had big season before those 3 also. The 2 are night and day, Lee has been proven a hell of a lot more then Beleskey.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
i mean hes freshly turning 29. a hypothetical five year deal would bring him to just turning 34. i think hed be a perfect fit for our team.

Yeah I'm there too...you give him anywhere from 5-27.5 to 5-30 I'm fine with that. Maybe 5-32.5 if we're pushing it. Any more term or anything above maybe 6.5 million a year I'd pass.

That's not fair, Beleksley isn't even in the same room with Lee as a player.

And this is another example of how the Boqvist hype has jumped the shark. We can't count on him being a top six addition in his rookie year, heck we don't even know yet if Bratt will be a top six winger or if he's more of a middle six tweener. Maybe one day either or both can fill that role but in the meantime get as many good players as is reasonably possible and worry about who plays on the third line or dealing off talent later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad