Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
That might be a bit much from us, honestly.

I'd start with Butcher + 2020 unprotected 1st + 2019 NJ 2nd (34OA). If Boqvist's inclusion is a deal-breaker, I might just bite that bullet.

I think Nico would be thrilled to have another high-profile Swiss player on the team.
Does Nashville really need Butcher?

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
considering he's a pending UFA, that's some insane overpayment. i think we could get away with butcher OR boqvist

but can you imagine a left side of

Josi
Smith
Davies

granted smith and davies haven't skated on NHL ice yet, but that potential ughhhhhhhhh

As I said, any deal would be contingent on an extension being worked out ahead of time, which could happen after July 1 or perhaps even before as a handshake sort of thing like with Stone. To be honest, I would give 34 overall this year and our entire draft next year for him (again, assuming extension worked out).

I would also seriously consider trading Ty Smith for him as close to a 1 for 1 proposition, but that would depend on what Castron and Fitzgerald thought about Smith's ultimate upside after having seen him play for another year.

Reactions: MichaelJ

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Provorov is one of the most overrated players on these boards. He is a decent #2 or very good #3, but in no way is he a surefire #1. His on-ice metrics have been pretty mediocre his whole career to date. I'd much rather throw an offersheet at Konecny at 6 years 6 million.

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Bratt-Hughes-Konecny
Coleman-Zajac-Anderson
Wood-Zacha-Bastian

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Provorov is one of the most overrated players on these boards. He is a decent #2 or very good #3, but in no way is he a surefire #1. His on-ice metrics have been pretty mediocre his whole career to date. I'd much rather throw an offersheet at Konecny at 6 years 6 million.

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Bratt-Hughes-Konecny
Coleman-Zajac-Anderson
Wood-Zacha-Bastian
i sure as hell don't rate provorov at all

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Proposal on the main board with VGK

Butcher / Wood for Miller / Reilly Smith? Would you do it?

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, offer-sheeting anyone on the Flyers this summer is a fool's errand. They have the money to match anything remotely reasonable, and I'd rather not start that fire.

And if it isn't "remotely reasonable," we'd be foolish to offer it.

It's funny how some people express concern over Subban's contract or a hypothetical Panarin/Karlsson contract... but then advocate signing lucrative offer sheets where we'd certainly be overpaying. I don't understand.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Moving future assets for someone like Josi would automatically put us as a legit contender.

The impact of adding a true top pairing dman on our left side would drastically change the face of our team.

Add the fact that we are about to add Hughes as well and possibly someone like Eberle, that’s the type of move that will convince Taylor Hall that we are heading in the right direction.

The main issue with a deal involving the Preds is that they are looking for offense and the only piece I can see of interest for Poile would be Jesper Bratt on top of picks/prospects.

With that said, I would still do it.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
yes.

I'm not Wood's biggest fan though

I said yes as well, much for the same reason. I'm not a fan of Wood. I'm not a huge fan of Butcher depending on what his contract is. I've heard he's probably going to get something like 2 years 2.5, which is more than fine for me, but listening to Devil's Daily, they were saying Severson's contract is probably the starting point and it could easily be like 5/25, and if that is the case, I think Butcher is a pass for me.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Moving future assets for someone like Josi would automatically put us as a legit contender.

The impact of adding a true top pairing dman on our left side would drastically change the face of our team.

Add the fact that we are about to add Hughes as well and possibly someone like Eberle, that’s the type of move that will convince Taylor Hall that we are heading in the right direction.

The main issue with a deal involving the Preds is that they are looking for offense and the only piece I can see of interest for Poile would be Jesper Bratt on top of picks/prospects.

With that said, I would still do it.

For Josi? With a contract extension I easily move Bratt and if they want Ty Smith him too.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
"Fans say come to play with Dadonov, and Panarin says that Florida has no fans in the stands"
reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/boqao7/when_asked_about_playing_in_florida_panarin/

looks like Panarin's back on the menu

The most interesting parts of that for me were these 3 comments.

1) Saying it's harder to play in the KHL than the NHL
2) Saying he's open to playing in the KHL next year rather than the NHL
3) A Ukrainian fan saying Ukraine is rooting for Russia (as if).

In everything Russian, politics comes first.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Umm... doesn't that preclude us too? :(
nah I dont think, Florida's attendance is below 80% whereas NJ's is above 90% in a year where the Devils sucked. plus if it's true if he wants to help his gf's modeling career then there's a lot of modeling agencies they'd be near by living in like Hoboken or JC. I think he'll go to NYR if the Devils' and their offer is similar though. I still wouldn't doubt him going to Florida either. But I think if Vegas was giving odds NYR would have the best one

he could honeslty live in Manhattan if he wanted. I'm pretty sure where the Devils practice is closer to Midtown/downtown than where the rangers do

Last edited:

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets

I mean, it increasingly feels like that in America too. (no specifics of course)

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

While I understand the mercenary nature of some players from overseas (if I’m working in anywhere other than the US or London I’m only in it for the money and would want to make it as painless as possible) my impression is that the mercenary players aren’t great investments in today’s cap league but that’s just my anecdotal view. Panarin strikes me as fairly mercenary. I expect him to want to play for the NYR and I expect him to ask them for top top dollar.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Proposal on the main board with VGK

Butcher / Wood for Miller / Reilly Smith? Would you do it?

I probably would, but I feel that Ray Shero will not trade Will Butcher for anything except a huge win in a trade. It is not a good look as a general manager or as an organization as a whole when a big time college free agent chooses your team and you go ahead and trade him less than 2 years later.

It's funny how some people express concern over Subban's contract or a hypothetical Panarin/Karlsson contract... but then advocate signing lucrative offer sheets where we'd certainly be overpaying. I don't understand.

The age difference. People feel more comfortable overpaying for a 22 year old than a 28 year old. The 22 year old could continue to get better and be worth the contract while the worry with the older player is that they significantly decline and therefore are overpaid by a ton.

I think #2 is just a way to keep his options open to help him get more money in his next NHL contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->