Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) IIl

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I made that comment in half-jest because I don't think the Leafs will trade him. But I'd take him if the Leafs actually want to move him because of cap issues or whatever. 22 years old with 2 seasons of 60 points already, right shot and can play both wing and center.
You would have:

Left shot wings -- Hall, Bratt, Coleman, Wood
Centers -- Hischier, Hughes, Zacha, Zajac
Right shot wings -- Palmieri, Nylander

Could assemble a much nicer/balanced top 9 with Nylander in the mix.

still cant believe the coaching staff had these 2 on the 'wrong side' on the PP for extended times neutering palms' shot

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
They should try to trade for Trouba at the draft and failing that, sign Myers. We can't afford to go next season with the same D. Gotta spend money at some point and defense is this team's biggest need. Myers is not as bad as some people make him out to be and he's not awful offensively. Don't need everyone on the team to be a speedster.

Unless you can sign him for pretty much nothing stay far away from Myers. He’s this year’s Jack Johnson.

Impact players. That’s who Ray should be looking to add.

Reactions: R8NJD

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It’s a distinction without a difference, unless you’re saying that getting cap savings by calling the years you’re not playing and foregoing a nominal salary as being “injured” is somehow better than deciding to play in Russia.

I think it's a rather large difference and is part of why Kovalchuk ultimately retired from the NHL. I also do not understand who is forgoing a salary here - it's certainly not the player.

He left as soon as the paychecks went from $4,000,000 to a mil. Coincidence?

He still gets paid, so it doesn't make any difference besides a psychological one. Maybe Chicago pressured him to hang up his skates, but he didn't give up any money when he stopped taking the medication and became unable to play in the NHL.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
He still gets paid, so it doesn't make any difference besides a psychological one. Maybe Chicago pressured him to hang up his skates, but he didn't give up any money when he stopped taking the medication and became unable to play in the NHL.

He stopped getting a 4 million dollar paycheck... then he took his ball and went home. Guess the side effects and effort it took to battle his equipment allergy wasn't worth it anymore at $1,000,000 but was at $4,000,000.

Reactions: Setec Astronomy

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
time to buy low on nylander. reunite hughes with his roommate for a couple weeks
I use to think this when he was having his "slump" at the start of the (his) year, but if he can't get it together playing with any of Matthews, Taveres or Marner, I don't really want him or his price tag. Maybe he breaks out next year, but I think the team is too close to deciding where they go from here to take that big of a risk on a player.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
He stopped getting a 4 million dollar paycheck... then he took his ball and went home. Guess the side effects and effort it took to battle his equipment allergy wasn't worth it anymore at $1,000,000 but was at $4,000,000.
It must be an expensive allergy, just couldn't swing with a measly mil, that over the counter stuff wouldn't cut it.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Id sooner go into the season losing Hall and missing the playoffs before I trade for William Garbage Nylander

I despise him as a player and what he represents which is soft ass hockey while mooching off of superstar teammates

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I use to think this when he was having his "slump" at the start of the (his) year, but if he can't get it together playing with any of Matthews, Taveres or Marner, I don't really want him or his price tag. Maybe he breaks out next year, but I think the team is too close to deciding where they go from here to take that big of a risk on a player.
he didn't really play with Tavares or Marner.(Line Combinations - Frozen Tools)
His shooting percentage this year was half of what it was in previous years. So I'd take the risk. He was only on for one goal 5v5 against in the playoffs as well.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
For sure, some GMs will overreact. I’m not sure Dubas is one of them.

Either way, Rejean will Rejean we hope.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
he didn't really play with Tavares or Marner.
His shooting percentage this year was half of what it was in previous years. So I'd take the risk. He was only on for one goal 5v5 against in the playoffs as well.
William Nylander has never once in his career gone hard after a puck or played well when his team needed him to

Hes f***ing terrible

Not to mention his numbers went way down because he wasnt being carried again this year. Bratt is better

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Well when you're dealing with it at $4,000,000 a year it's not so bad, but for a measly $1,000,000 it's not worth the effort to combat that horrible allergy.

Oh god please don’t even mention the Hossa nonsense! It makes me so angry... and the ultimate joke was that the NHL sent a doctor to perform an “independent evaluation.” What a disgrace.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
he didn't really play with Tavares or Marner.
Fair enough, but even playing with Matthews who I can't imagine many people would take behind Hughes.

Also it's not like Palmieri, I don't remember Ducks fans calling for him to be traded in droves, he was a buy low due to cap constraints. Hate to base opinions solely off a bunch of pissed of fans, but take a look through that post-game thread, kinda hard to have any faith in a guy when die hard fans who watched him play most the season are begging for him to be traded.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Fair enough, but even playing with Matthews who I can't imagine many people would take behind Hughes.

Also it's not like Palmieri, I don't remember Ducks fans calling for him to be traded in droves, he was a buy low due to cap constraints. Hate to base opinions solely off a bunch of pissed of fans, but take a look through that post-game thread, kinda hard to have any faith in a guy when die hard fans who watched him play most the season are begging for him to be traded.
fans are not the most rational after a game 7 loss, especially one with a fanbase as massive as Toronto's. there are guys dumping on Marner on their board.

Devils only right shot wing is Palmieri that's part of the reason why Nylander could be a good fit on the Devils. On top of that Nylander can switch positions which could come in handy when players on the Devils get hurt. He's decent on faceoffs too (not that I place that much importance on faceoffs). And he's only 22 signed long term. Devils don't really have a right shot with Nylander's output in the system either

The buy low ability on Nylander is taking the risk on that this was a down year and the Leafs might have to move him due to current cap constraints. I don't think it's going to happen because it doesn't seem Dubas is that type of GM. It's not really comparable to Palmieri because Nylander is a proven player (two 60 point seasons before turning 22) whereas Palmieri wasn't a proven top 6 player when the Devils traded for him that's why I wasn't comparing Palmieri's trade to a potential one for Nylander.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Well when you're dealing with it at $4,000,000 a year it's not so bad, but for a measly $1,000,000 it's not worth the effort to combat that horrible allergy.
It was actually open sores and he had to take pills and get blood test done weekly.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
fans are not the most rational after a game 7 loss, especially one with a fanbase as massive as Toronto's. there are guys dumping on Marner on their board.

Devils only right shot wing is Palmieri that's part of the reason why Nylander could be a good fit on the Devils. On top of that Nylander can switch positions which could come in handy when players on the Devils get hurt. He's decent on faceoffs too (not that I place that much importance on faceoffs). And he's only 22 signed long term. Devils don't really have a right shot with Nylander's output in the system either

The buy low ability on Nylander is taking the risk on that this was a down year and the Leafs might have to move him due to current cap constraints. I don't think it's going to happen because it doesn't seem Dubas is that type of GM. It's not really comparable to Palmieri because Nylander is a proven player (two 60 point seasons before turning 22) whereas Palmieri wasn't a proven top 6 player when the Devils traded for him that's why I wasn't comparing Palmieri's trade to a potential one for Nylander.
All good points, but after getting the 1st overall and getting a player who is likely set to have a massive impact on the future of this team, I'm a lot less giddy about "stealing" him from the leafs to take a risk on him. Plus that last play was realllllllllly bad, not that it had any bearing on the outcome of the series or my outlook on him, but still, not a good look at all.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Ive seen the named mentioned a few times but youre missing Mattias Ekholm, who could be the best fit of any name on there. And I want nothing to do with Hutton, Gardiner, Murray, or Leddy

I didn't include Mattias Ekholm because I think there's no remote chance of him getting moved out of Nashville. He's a guy they'll be sure to keep.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
A Nylander-type contract going wrong can be exactly the type of move that prevents us from contending sooner than later

5 more years at ~7mil for a guy who produces no better than Bratt when he isnt being carried by Matthews. Add onto that hed immediately be the softest player on the team with zero redeeming qualities in tough playoff hockey...

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I don't know how many times I have to say it. This is the third time, so I'll try it with capital letters. HOSSA IS STILL BEING PAID $1,000,000 LESS TAXES AND ESCROW. HE RECEIVES A SALARY. HE DID NOT GIVE UP A SINGLE DOLLAR BY CEASING TO PLAY IN THE NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad