Devils 2019-20 team discussion (news and notes) - Season begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
I do think maybe they have something with a couple of the pairs that have been established over the past game or two. That being Gusev/Bratt plus Hughes/Zacha and_or Simmonds. The key though is keeping them together to see if they can continue to develop chemistry beyond initial signs of potential. And Zajac/Coleman always seems to be an effective duo. And you hope that first line of Hall-Hischier-Palmieri all find their games individually and start clicking consistently as we know they can. But you are essentially gonna have to do the best you can to only get that Hischier/Zajac lines out against other teams top competition. But the backend, yikes that's a whole different animal that is an absolute disaster with zero signs of positive steps.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
Way too much energy being spent on analyzing our 4th line. Gusev has played his way down and belongs there, Bratt definitely deserves better.

I dont' really mind Rooney. He fits the bill for a 4th liner better than most and statistically, he's been fine so far. Gusev is not a guy who is going to handle all D-zone starts well and that's what you need a 4th line to be able to survive. I'd rather see better lines getting those offensive zone starts.

The adjustment I would prefer is seeing someone like Bratt or Boqvist take Wood's spot in the top 6. I don't really care much about the makeup of the 4th line.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So on the pp so far this year, we have scored zero goals. Obviously this is tied for worst in the league.

On the PK we have allowed 8 goals against. Not surprisingly also worst in the league, but here we share this title only with ourselves.

5v5 we have not been very good, but specialty teams are really hurting us right now.

Reactions: My3Sons

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
So on the pp so far this year, we have scored zero goals. Obviously this is tied for worst in the league.

On the PK we have allowed 8 goals against. Not surprisingly also worst in the league, but here we share this title only with ourselves.

5v5 we have not been very good, but specialty teams are really hurting us right now.

Everything with the occasional exception of goaltending is hurting this team.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Way too much energy being spent on analyzing our 4th line. Gusev has played his way down and belongs there, Bratt definitely deserves better.

I dont' really mind Rooney. He fits the bill for a 4th liner better than most and statistically, he's been fine so far. Gusev is not a guy who is going to handle all D-zone starts well and that's what you need a 4th line to be able to survive. I'd rather see better lines getting those offensive zone starts.

The adjustment I would prefer is seeing someone like Bratt or Boqvist take Wood's spot in the top 6. I don't really care much about the makeup of the 4th line.

Wood's fixture in the top-6 is one of the biggest question marks of the season, and their insistence on him staying there despite net-negative results is baffling.

They've kept Gusev honest. I'm not sure why Wood is immune.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I wonder if the Devils can change PP1.

Hall
Palmieri-Hischier-Hughes
Subban

PP2:
Simmonds
Gusev-Zajac-Bratt
Butcher

Hall can play behind the net similar to the role that MoJo played. Hischier is looking better on faceoffs so that's not much of a concern to have him replace Zajac there. PP1 currently is kinda predictable so maybe with Hall and Hughes on the same PP it will help change that along with smoother zone entries.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I do think maybe they have something with a couple of the pairs that have been established over the past game or two. That being Gusev/Bratt plus Hughes/Zacha and_or Simmonds. The key though is keeping them together to see if they can continue to develop chemistry beyond initial signs of potential. And Zajac/Coleman always seems to be an effective duo. And you hope that first line of Hall-Hischier-Palmieri all find their games individually and start clicking consistently as we know they can. But you are essentially gonna have to do the best you can to only get that Hischier/Zajac lines out against other teams top competition. But the backend, yikes that's a whole different animal that is an absolute disaster with zero signs of positive steps.

The lineup scheme becomes much clearer when you take that "duo" approach, especially as it pertains to the top-9:

Hall - Hischier - XXX
Coleman - Zajac - XXX
Zacha - Hughes - XXX

Bratt would be best next to 9/13 (I still can't believe this hasn't been tried yet this year) or 20/19; I actually think Bratt and Coleman could forge some pretty sick chemistry, especially with Coleman continuing to tap into the offensive side of his game. Simmonds is likely stapled to those middle-6 duos; I liked him with 37/86 a lot. Palmieri would work anywhere.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
We’re an embarrassment on all levels, Shero needs to be gone if we’re a bottom 5 team again

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I wonder if the Devils can change PP1.

Hall
Palmieri-Hischier-Hughes
Subban

PP2:
Simmonds
Gusev-Zajac-Bratt
Butcher

Hall can play behind the net similar to the role that MoJo played. Hischier is looking better on faceoffs so that's not much of a concern to have him replace Zajac there. PP1 currently is kinda predictable so maybe with Hall and Hughes on the same PP it will help change that along with smoother zone entries.

I like that PP1 a lot, and I love the idea of sticking Hall around the net. Switching up his role on the PP could spark him. With Subban and Hughes on the same unit, we don't need Hall "running" it.

When you have Subban, Hall and Hughes all at/above the circles, there are visibly too many cooks in the kitchen. It makes for a very clunky powerplay.

Remember Opening Night 2016 vs the Ducks? Hall's two PP goals below the circles/at the netmouth? That.... exactly that. Give me that.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
It starts with the defense, we have by far the worst in the league

Greene-been over the hill for years, brings absolutely nothing
Vatanen-decent 2nd pairing guy
Subban-not the player he used to be, 2nd pairing at best
Severson-hardly an NHL player
Mueller-AHL fodder
Carrick-wouldnt even be a good AHL player
Butcher-bottom pairing guy

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
Hughes started off slow in the first two games no doubt, but he's the last guy on this roster I'm worried about. He's been very good the last three games. The points will come if he keeps playing like this, and sooner rather than later I think he will force himself higher in the lineup, at least for offensive zone situations.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I remember when Stammer first game into the league . He wa fighting it for a long time . Once he got it figured out he was unstoppable . I think / hope Hughes will do the same . He has the skill and the hickey IQ to fine tune his game . For now , what he was doing before worked but he now has to tweek some things on his game to make it work .

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
that’s completely subjective and not true. good defense comes from structure and strategy and ours is lacking but it’s not the worst personnel in the league
I truly believe our D is better than what it's shown and it's the coaching that's dragged them down. I've been on the Fire Nasreddine train for a couple seasons now.

They look tentative like they don't know where to be, which tells me the system has a lot of ambiguity. It's not just the D men but the forwards too.

At best, it's a "system" that doesn't suit the current personnel.

We've seen how coaching can transform the worst D in the league into one of the best with the Isles. I think a change of coaching could do the same with us.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
The whole zone / man on man hybrid system or whatever the hell they are trying dies not work . Not sure why they continue to try using that style / system

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Taylor Hall taking a "maintenance day". Five games into the season. Not good.

Hynes better be tearing them a new ass in practice today. Someone dust off the Sutter bikes.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It probably didnt help that Tampa Bay's marketing team spent a ton of money & designed its' entire campaign around an 18 year old.

Everywhere you drove in Florida from about 5 minutes west of Orlando to Tampa had a "GOT STAMKOS" billboard in the "GOT MILK" style. No pressure kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->