Devils 2019-20 team discussion (news and notes) - part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I’ve posted that before and that changes the equation but generally goes without saying and tbh it’s still months before he can sign a contract and commit (or not) either way so unless he’s definitely told management he doesn’t want to re-up or be part of a rebuild at this point then we won’t know what he’s thinking till July.
It goes without saying but yet people are baffled by the fact that others want to trade him when his value is at an all-time high?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yeah, I'm not the one comparing a 21 year old to a 31 year old. If you can't see the difference in the values, that's your problem, not mine.

It's like comparing buying a new Ferrari to buying a used Dodge Charger.

I mean both are ridiculous because cars are the prime example of depreciating assets but hey, keep it up. Palmieri is not 31 when he signs his new contract, by the way, but that's a correction I just haven't bothered to make because you don't seem interested in what's true or not.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I mean both are ridiculous because cars are the prime example of depreciating assets but hey, keep it up. Palmieri is not 31 when he signs his new contract, by the way, but that's a correction I just haven't bothered to make because you don't seem interested in what's true or not.
It'll be his aged 31 season the first year of the contract. Keep up.

Nico signed his extension during his aged 21 season. Again, keep up.

Reactions: Taylors lost step

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yes it goes without saying that if a player wants out after next year then he’s got to be traded at some point in a rebuild. It’s just not very likely that Palm has definitely told management he wants out months before he could even re-sign.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It'll be his aged 31 season the first year of the contract. Keep up.

Nico signed his extension during his aged 21 season. Again, keep up.

Except that it won't be - Palmieri doesn't turn 31 until February 1, 2022, which is more than halfway into the season of his first deal. It is merely shading things in your direction to call him 31. He won't be 31 when he signs the deal and he won't be 31 at the end of the year in which that deal is signed.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Don’t argue semantics, I made that mistake already...to him Palm would be 31 the first year of his deal if his birthday was March 31 and he plays like three games at age 31 of his first contract year.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Except that it won't be - Palmieri doesn't turn 31 until February 1, 2022, which is more than halfway into next season. It is merely shading things in your direction to call him 31. He won't be 31 when he signs the deal and he won't be 31 at the end of the year in which that deal is signed.
Yes he will lol. He's 29 now. He'll be 30 when his current contract is up. The first year of his new deal will coincide with him turning 31 DURING the season. Thus, it's considered his aged 31 season.

Will he or will he not be 35 years old when a 5 year extension ends?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yes he will lol. He's 29 now. He'll be 30 when his current contract is up. The first year of his new deal will coincide with him turning 31 DURING the season. Thus, it's considered his aged 31 season.

The first season will, the first year won't. I realize that year is often substituted for season in these contexts, but in the context where you insist on calling him 31 when he clearly is not, that can no longer be done.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
The first season will, the first year won't. I realize that year is often substituted for season in these contexts, but in the context where you insist on calling him 31 when he clearly is not, that can no longer be done.
They play more months in the year that he turns 31 lol. The season starts at the end of the year he's 30. October to December does not carry more weight than January to April lol.

And I've repeatedly used SEASON, dude.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Whatever, I'm not arguing friggin' semantics. You knew exactly what I was talking about.

You were trying to shade things in your direction, that's all. People do it all the time here with the way they word things. You, unlike some frequent mendicants here, actually ultimately had the facts right when you did it, but it's still misrepentative of the truth. A better tack, FWIW, is 'player will be X years old when the contract ends', that way no one has to realize, hey wait, he's basically stealing half a year here. Palmieri will be 34 when a theoretical new 4 year contract ends.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
You were trying to shade things in your direction, that's all. People do it all the time here with the way they word things. You, unlike some frequent mendicants here, actually ultimately had the facts right when you did it, but it's still misrepentative of the truth. A better tack, FWIW, is 'player will be X years old when the contract ends', that way no one has to realize, hey wait, he's basically stealing half a year here. Palmieri will be 34 when a theoretical new 4 year contract ends.
It's the same concept, homie. No matter the sport, I always use the age they turn during the season as their listed age. I'm on another forum where I run the Milwaukee Bucks thread and I list all their ages with that note provided. So it's not being done here out of trying to sway things my way at all. It's simply how I approach player ages. Nothing disingenuous was being done on my part intentionally.

Don't know the rules in regards to linking to other forums but here's the outline to the post for proof purposes...

Staff
Owners: Jamie Dinan, Wes Edens, Marc Lasry, Aaron Rodgers
General Manager: Jon Horst
Head Coach: Mike Budenholzer
Assistant Coaches: Darvin Ham, Charles Lee, Josh Longstaff, Patrick St. Andrews, Ben Sullivan
Roster
# Player Position Age* Height Weight College/Country
0 Donte DiVincenzo G 23 6'5" 200 Villanova
3 George Hill G 33 6'3" 188 IUPUI
5 DJ Wilson F 24 6'10" 240 Michigan
6 Eric Bledsoe PG 30 6'1" 205 Kentucky
7 Ersan Ilyasova PF 32 6'10" 235 Turkey
9 Wesley Matthews SG 33 6'5" 220 Marquette
11 Brook Lopez C 31 7'0" 270 Stanford
13 Cam Reynolds GF 25 6'8" 225 Tulane
15 Frank Mason III PG 26 5'11" 190 Kansas
20 Marvin Williams F 33 6'8" 237 North Carolina
22 Khris Middleton GF 28 6'8" 234 Texas A&M
23 Sterling Brown GF 25 6'6" 230 SMU
24 Pat Connaughton GF 27 6'5" 210 Notre Dame
26 Kyle Korver GF 39 6'7" 212 Creighton
34 Giannis Antetokounmpo GF 25 6'11" 242 Greece
42 Robin Lopez C 31 7'0" 275 Stanford
43 Thanasis Antetokounmpo F 27 6'7 215 Greece
*Age during 2019-2020 Season

It's obviously formatted on that site to make things less clustered btw.

EDIT - Also @Forge can attest to this as he's a member there.

Reactions: Forge

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
He's way better than Colton White so far, that's a feather in his cap. I'd be okay with him sticking the rest of the year if he keeps up this play.
He definitely hasn’t looked out of place which is why I was surprised this is only his second legit shot at the NHL since he’s already 26. He has decent size and speed.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So, how about that Mermis?
giphy.gif

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
No, you're interpreting it how you choose to, nothing more. I want to cash in on his value, yes, because it'll never be higher but it doesn't mean I want to trade him for the sake of trading him. Next year? Yeah, that'll be the thought process because he'll be a UFA.

Here's something that NONE of you have considered in all this...what if Palms doesn't want to extend here? Nobody ever considers that.

I asked that same question about 2 days ago and the answers I got was that he's a local and since he's been apart of our franchise for years now, he probably doesn't want to go anywhere else.

Both those statements are pretty weak IMO. Players want to win, not be on a bottom feeder in their home state.

With that said, moving him in the offseason when he'll have a lot more competition will also diminish his value. Now is THE time to maximize his value, not this summer and not at the deadline next year.

Reactions: Forge

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

You compared Hischier's extension to Palmieri's... that's all we need to know about your pov to just brush whatever else you say aside.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I love Merkley and Anderson but if you trade Palms you're virtually guaranteeing one of them is a top-6 RWer next year, considering Simmonds is probably getting traded too. That's... not ideal.

Reactions: Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad