Devils 2019-20 team discussion (news and notes) - part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Trade three firsts (assuming Vatanen receives one) and Butcher for 3 quality NHL defensemen. Sign the top backup goalie. Nico, Hughes, Bratt, Zacha and Boqvist all break out. Palmieri hoists the cup in June 2020.

Trade 1 - Trade 2
Subban - Severson
Smith - Trade 3

**Sarcasm Emoji**

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I'd draft with all 3 or 4 first rounders. If Castron and his staff knock this year out of the park, you're looking at a team with a really interesting window 4-5 years from now.

As the East gets past the PIT/WAS/BOS/TB-era, it's not clear who takes their place. Possibly TOR/CAR? But I could see a scenario where right as a lot of the remaining teams are re-tooling or transitioning away from guys like Giroux/J. Staal/Foligno as core players, we become a powerhouse.

Anyway, just spitballin. I think Fitzgerald's real job is creating a better culture and vision for the team than what's been in place.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Not that I thought Ray was that shifty, but damn, Fitzgerald is super honest.

"We pivoted."

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
How exactly am I supposed to reconcile this

With Fitz's postgame comments? Does he really think Nolan Foote moves the needle enough to go from not being competitive for two years to we can compete soon?

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
How exactly am I supposed to reconcile this

With Fitz's postgame comments? Does he really think Nolan Foote moves the needle enough to go from not being competitive for two years to we can compete soon?

He said competitive next year in the press conference. Nothing about contending.

it’s a fine line, but it is different. It’s also not a lie. We can be competitive next year, but we will not be contending in any realistic way.

I imagine Fitz is savvy enough to use the distinction.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Competing in the NHL is a low bar with how much parity their is. The second wild card teams are not that good, and have a puncher’s chance at the cup at best.

It isn’t a stretch to get in the realm of a playoff bubble where the Panthers, Flyers, Canes and other mediocre teams currently live.

It’s hard to be this bad. A lot has to go wrong, or you are tanking.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He said competitive next year in the press conference. Nothing about contending.

it’s a fine line, but it is different. It’s also not a lie. We can be competitive next year, but we will not be contending in any realistic way.

I imagine Fitz is savvy enough to use the distinction.

LOL I'd better get to sleep soon before my head hurts from all this stuff tonight.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
LOL I'd better get to sleep soon before my head hurts from all this stuff tonight.

I don’t think the plan is to tank next year, but they aren’t going to be trading pieces for 28+ guys or sign big free agent contracts to force the team into a playoff bubble either.

We will have a new coach. They will get Blackwood a backup, and they will bring in some D help to at least plug holes if nothing. That with kids progressing should leave this team better then it is this year.

Reactions: Guttersniped

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
I'm with Fitz on that, and I appreciate his frankness.

Honestly, given the strong draft the Devils had this past year and the potential for a really interesting one this year, I find myself more interested in buying tickets for next season than I was before today. I can stomach a losing season if I can at least see a vision for the future taking shape: show me young talent gelling, making aggressive mistakes that are all part of regular growing pains, and steadily improving over time. While I won't like missing the playoffs, I'll at least go to games or watch on TV and not feel like I'm wasting my time or money, and the eventual payoff will be all the sweeter.

The danger is always in going for the quick fix and only building towards mediocrity; it's a little different in a parity-heavy NHL, a mediocre team can be one goalie hot streak away from a deep playoff run, but I want what DC/Pitt/Boston/Tampa have right now, or what we had during the golden era, not annual "well, if we make a couple good signings this summer we MIGHT have a top three spot!" conversations. You win consistently by building a core from within first, then intelligently adding to that core from external sources; I now feel like we're closer to being on that track than we've been in many, many years.

And, hey! Given the young talent already around, the extra draft picks, and all the cap space? Yeah, the Devils might well be able to at least build a competitive team for the next year or two to serve as a bridge between now and when the upcoming slate of prospects are ready to contribute, which would certainly ease the pain of the transition. Even if they don't get that far, though, my initial feeling still stands.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
The next trade I hope to see is this:

Vegas Golden Knights receive:
Kyle Palmieri
Sami Vatanen (50% salary retention)

New Jersey Devils receive:
2020 1st round pick
Alex Tuch
Cody Eakin

Reactions: SYWTom

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Competitive? The only thing we're going to compete for next year is the basement once again lol. The team is worse off today than yesterday, yes much better positioned for the future for sure but that's a loooooong time away. I don't think people realize how pathetic our goal scoring actually is or that they are somehow magically going to break out. Can you imagine not having Coleman's contribution and possibly Palms, yikes.

The entire defense needs to be built up and I mean the entire defense from scratch, it's a scrap heap of junk with a couple of serviceable guys. There isn't enough bubble gum and duct tape in the world to plug those holes back there.

The more ammo the better but in the end we REALLY need to hit on some of these upcoming picks and have some of these other kids to pan out. I can't, just can't deal with more Zacha's and Mcleod's of the world. A lot of wishful thinking going on but this is a rebuild of the rebuild that kinda wasn't a rebuild. Lot's of growing pains ahead.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago

Kyle Palmieri

2020 1st round pick
Alex Tuch
Cody Eakin

My issue with that becomes.

How the hell do you trade, Coleman, Greene, Palms, Vats and get NOTHING back ton D ( granted yes the draft picks could be used on d-men )

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Kyle Palmieri

2020 1st round pick
Alex Tuch
Cody Eakin

If we’re getting Tuch, they’re going to want Severson, and I wouldn’t blame them.

That Tuch contract is pretty damn good, even with his down year this year. Vegas isn’t going to trade that for an expiring defenseman and a scorer with a year left (both of whom they’d be hard-pressed to re-sign).

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I really thought Butcher would improve his skating last year. Feels like he's gotten slower the higher he's moved up in the lineup.

I think he gets exposed matchup wise by the opponents if he gets higher minutes.

Think he can still be a useful bottom pair and PP guy, but his lack of speed is really detrimental.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i felt like shit yesterday (RIP, coronavirus) and went to sleep at 7. woke up to a completely different team today...this is a lot to process

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
he won't be in the league for too much longer
He has improved defesnively IMO and has had strong shot share numbers during his career.

I just think he is better suited for a bottom pair role against weaker competition. IMO in an ideal role, he is your #5 Dman that crushes against weak competition.

He may not have that luxery for a couple of years here to play against weak competition, so he may not perform as he did in his rookie year. Context is important.

I'd hold onto him - he is young enough to where he can improve defensively. We just need to make sure he is not paid like a top 4 Dman on his next contract if he does not improve in a material way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->