Devils 2018-19 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Our involvement, if any, is going to be like a cap dump+mid round pick for a low pick/AHL fodder to even out the contracts.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but the longer this goes on, the less I see EK going to Tampa. So many of Tampa's roster players with decent cap hits have some sort of NTC, and who in their right mind would waive to leave a beautiful city/cup contender regardless of EK/low taxes to come to NJ, let alone the tire fire that is the Senators?

Don't get your hopes up too high, y'all. We ain't getting Sergachev, Point, Kucherov, and probably not Johnson either.
Why the hell would we pay Ryan Callahan that much money for 2 years for a mid round pick?

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Johnson is not in his prime, he turns 28 at the end of this month. His being signed long-term is a liability not an asset. I agree that he plus Callahan would not be free, but they shouldn't cost a lot either.
I really wouldn't give up much for that package. Maybe Quenneville and a 3rd or something really small. Callahan is still a pretty big negative even though absorbing his contract means nothing for us and Johnson is not really the most exciting player. He's already older, has a fairly big contract that takes him to his age 33 season, and is small (I'd much rather target a guy like Palat who ads a physicality we need).

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Regardless, I still don't see a way where we end up a big winner in this thing, if we're involved at all. We'll come out on the positive for sure, but nothing like the craziness being strewn about here.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Regardless, I still don't see a way where we end up a big winner in this thing, if we're involved at all. We'll come out on the positive for sure, but nothing like the craziness being strewn about here.

Yeah pretty much. EK is going to get traded and someone is going to be a 3rd party in this trade. I'll gladly take a 2nd and a prospect or something for someone like Callahan

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Callahan sucks.

He would have been the worst every nighter in the lineup on last year’s team. Only Jimmy Hayes is definitely worse and Stafford might have been better.

Callahan ain’t worth acquiring for just picks. Especially picks that won’t help us for a few years, especially not during the two years we have to absorb Callahan.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
it is incredible how much people care about picks

Im sure Taylor Hall would love to hear how were stockpiling draft picks and holding onto our 1st because we 'probably' wont make the playoffs

We can start contending when him and Vatanen are over 30, who wants primes anyway?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
it is incredible how much people care about picks

Im sure Taylor Hall would love to hear how were stockpiling draft picks and holding onto our 1st because we 'probably' wont make the playoffs

We can start contending when him and Vatanen are over 30, who wants primes anyway?
Draft picks are one of the most valuable assets in the cap era of the NHL. Teams that squander them will be bad teams. I'm willing to move picks, but it better be a move that improves the team in a way that is worth the pick.

Reactions: Darkauron

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Draft picks are one of the most valuable assets in the cap era of the NHL. Teams that squander them will be bad teams. I'm willing to move picks, but it better be a move that improves the team in a way that is worth the pick.
i mean has Shero made trades with picks that werent good for us besides deadline deals?

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Johnson is not in his prime, he turns 28 at the end of this month. His being signed long-term is a liability not an asset. I agree that he plus Callahan would not be free, but they shouldn't cost a lot either.
So Johnson turning 28 is out of his prime - but folks arent worried about Hall turning 28 this year and are fine with slowly rebuilding

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
So Johnson turning 28 is out of his prime - but folks arent worried about Hall turning 28 this year and are fine with slowly rebuilding

they aren't going to make any rushed moves or rash moves

Shero has said all along that this is a long process

if you don't like that, I suggest you follow another team I guess because you sure do complain a lot

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

We've thrown away a few valuable picks of late starting with Grabner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->